Just had my TR major svc done at Pfaff Tuning | FerrariChat

Just had my TR major svc done at Pfaff Tuning

Discussion in 'Canada' started by fire_n_ice, Dec 5, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. fire_n_ice

fire_n_ice Formula 3

Jun 9, 2006
    Just a quick review of my experience at Pfaff Tuning in Woodbridge. Was a bit hesitant to have my 89 Testarossa major service done there; I've always used FoO. But Pfaff takes care of a couple of my other cars and they've always done a good job so when the service manager said he had a new tech with a lot of F-car experience, I gave them a shot.

In a nutshell, I am very satisfied. The tech, Val, was meticulous with the service, checking absolutely everything on the car, making recommendations and asking for my input along the way when necessary. The whole engine out procedure was documented with photos, he kept a log book with nut and bolt torque specs, etc. The whole nine yards.

The car and engine bay were immaculate when I picked it up and most importantly, it felt great to drive. Hard to tell for sure because of the cooler weather, but it may have picked up some power. Definitely responding better and smoother power delivery as a result of some of the fine tuning that Val did.

Bummer that the season is over, but hoping to enjoy many good miles in the Spring.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Is that a blue TR ? What color is the interior ?

That’s a unique color for that car

of2worlds likes this.
  3. fire_n_ice

fire_n_ice Formula 3

Jun 9, 2006
  4. Jonsav

Jonsav Formula Junior

Sep 26, 2014
    Canada
    Wow that's a great color combo

Natkingcolebasket69 and MS250 like this.
  5. Mimmo Blue

Mimmo Blue Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2018
    Stoney Creek, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Dom
    What made you want to give Pfaff a shot?
    Where you not satisfied with your previous service at FoO?

6. fire_n_ice

fire_n_ice Formula 3

Jun 9, 2006
    Several years ago I bought a McLaren from Pfaff, so got to know the staff quite well. I ended up taking a few of my other cars there over the years for more routine stuff and they always did a nice job, so I feel like the rapport is good. I had them change the oil on the TR last Fall and that went fine. At that point, one of the service managers, Piero, told me that he had a new tech (Val) that was very experienced with Ferrari.

I'd always used FoO, partly because if I ever decided to sell the car, I knew that the service history being done at a Ferrari dealer would be important (whether justified, or not). Anyway, over the past couple of years, my love and admiration for the TR has only continued to grow and I decided that since I will probably never sell it, I might as well use Pfaff, where I know the guys on a more personal level.

I was never dissatisfied with FoO per se; they always did an OK job, too. But, I don't own any other F cars, so I'm never going to mean too much to them. At Pfaff, I feel like I can get as involved as I want to be. Val spent nearly an hour with me when I picked up the car, going over every thing that he did. They sent probably 20 or 30 pics during the service, showing me the progress. At FoO, I never really feel like I get a peek behind the curtain. But like I said, I don't blame them, I'm not a serial customer and in fact, I imported my TR from the U.S. in 2006, so I admit their motivation to keep me thrilled is probably fairly low!

of2worlds, Nuvolari and Mimmo Blue like this.
  7. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    FoO told me a major on my 348 would be at least $20,000

8. GerryD

GerryD Formula 3

May 5, 2010
    North of TO
    Full Name:
    Guido
    Not surprising.

9. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    Wow. That would be enough for me to sell it.

10. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    It's not even close to that amount

11. CANDREAM

CANDREAM Canada

Nov 13, 2009
    Burlington, Ontario
    Full Name:
    Sadi
    I did my major at Daytona.....great work....tons of pics and very personal service too.....Alex really keeps you aware of what they find and all old parts are returned ( if you want them). FYI.

Mimmo Blue likes this.
  12. maxflynn

maxflynn Karting

Feb 9, 2015
    GTA
    Full Name:
    David
    If it’s the Val I’m thinking about, he is an excellent tech. One of the best. That colour combo is fantastic

13. vincent prata

vincent prata Rookie

Jun 1, 2014
    Italy
    Full Name:
    cavallino
    what ever you do don t go to Daytona auto they are a bunch of scammers specially John Duka they tried to sell a 328 red Ferrari to one of my friend in Montreal and when he was given the car fax it was photo shopped lucky before he was going to buy the car i told him be careful and he did his own car fax and the car came up as a total ed rec and Mr john Ducka owner of Daytona auto car fax was all nice and clear i also had very bad deals with them and i would tell you run as far as you can from there those two people are nothing but a bunch of crooks and scammers as far as there mechanics i think their shoemakers

14. fire_n_ice

fire_n_ice Formula 3

Jun 9, 2006
    Just want to provide an update, nearly a year later and now that I have had the chance to drive the TR in both hot and cooler weather, for an apples to apples comparison from before the major service last Fall. The engine definitely runs better and produces more power, I can tell simply from the squat on acceleration in 2nd and 3rd gear. It also feels more refined, power delivery is really smooth and linear. When I drive it, I get the feeling that it is a lot closer to how it left the factory in 1989. Very happy with the results, will be using Pfaff from now on to service the car.

15. Animo Felonico

Jul 20, 2005
    Absolutely gorgeous colour combo!!

fire_n_ice likes this.
  16. fire_n_ice

fire_n_ice Formula 3

Jun 9, 2006
    Thank you!