Vintage 328 Tires | FerrariChat

Vintage 328 Tires

Discussion in '308/328' started by deichenb, Jul 31, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. deichenb

deichenb Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2007
    Tampa Bay, FL
    Full Name:
    David
    Hi,

I am cleaning out an old storage unit and found the original Gooyear Eagles off my ex-328 s/n 80360. They are cool, but I have no use for them any longer. I have them listed on eBay, item number 230832706505.

Forza,
    David

2. Robz328

Robz328 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 16, 2009
    ATL, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Rob Hemphill
    "Would I drive on these vintage Ferrari tires? No. Except onto a show field where they will get your car a "Pop," perhaps to that Best V8 Award that you've been eyeing. After you get your trophy, put your modern tires back on. These Goodyears are over 20 years old and sold for show purposes only."

nice disclaimer.

3. deichenb

deichenb Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2007
    Tampa Bay, FL
    Full Name:
    David
    Thanks! I enjoyed writing it. The tires are kind of like the 400mm's available for 250's with the smaller Borranis - for the "lawn" much moreso than the street. That's why many guys put the optional 16" wheels on their early cars for drives/events/tours despite having 400's on the build sheet and the show field!

The best use for these old tires would be on a second set (or the original set) of perfect 16" 328 wheels.

Forza,
    David

4. Longstone Tyres

Longstone Tyres Formula 3
    Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
    Thomas Magnum and QV308 like this.
  5. QV308

QV308 Karting

Jan 1, 2006
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Ross
  6. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    If you could get me a set of new 2019 made period correct Goodyear Eagles in those two dimensions I'd be even happier.
    :)

7. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Really??

Never liked them. Not sorry they are gone.

8. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    Well it will come as no surprise to know I still have the original full sized unused Goodyear spare in my car.
    Would love to have an additional set of usable matching Goodyears for the rest of the car, even if I was just for use in shows or for occasional driving use.

9. Longstone Tyres

Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
    I'm afraid i don't currently have any clout with Goodyear, but Pirelli are really coming up trumps.

Because i now have the perfect 328 tyres, i am happy to build a web page about them https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/classic-car-tyres/ferrari/ferrari-328.html

it will get filled in with detail as time goes by. However any data, pictures & evidence about 328 tyre fitment that you could supply like old adverts or fitment guides i would very much appreciate. Oo i like tyre pressure data specially in pictorial form to.

thanks.

oh while i think on, in the near future Pirelli will also supply a 245/45R16 as well.i don't suppose this was ever of interest to the 328 was it?

Rosey likes this.
  10. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Recommended tyre pressure for the 328s can be found inside the small box in the center console, between the seats ("Glove box for GTSs, spare cassette rack for GTBs").
    See "2.1" paragraph in the enclosed link for this page hereunder:

For the Michelin MXX, only fitted to french cars and only after March 1988, it was: 2,3 bars front; 2,4 bars rear.
    For US cars with Goodyear Eagle, it was 33 psi front, 36 rear.

http://www.308-328.com/328/328guideachaten.html

Rgds

bertrand328 likes this.
  11. Longstone Tyres

Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
    That is brilliant thank you.

those tyre pressures are similar to ones i got from a Michelin book that lists 33psi & 35psi rear. I have another American book which lists 33 & 36. However the pressures i listed are from a Pirelli fitment guide, and i thought, as i was recommending Pirelli tyres i should list their pressure recommendation. I also often er towards the higher pressure recommendation as they are safer, ie cover high speed & fully loaded recommendations etc.

What i will do is collect any more data that turns up on here then write a bit of text collating that and explaining my recommendations which will hopefully arm people to make their own mind up from as much detail as i can collect.

12. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    I don't know, why you didn't like them and you probably won't tell me. But I actually have to agree. I purchased my car back then with a two years old set of GY Eagles and never again experienced a tyre on the 308 with such a small, or non existent dynamic transition range.
    I actually experienced a dangerous situation when I had my car for one week and wasn't familiar yet with the car's mid-engined layout. I still blame the tyres for that.

Best tyres for driving I had, were the Michelin Pilot Sport 1.series. Though not the nicest thread style for a 70s car. I now have Pirelli P Zero Nero, which are looking much better, but I'm not happy with them. Too soft. Too spongy. Though idiot-proof, what the Eagles definitely were not. They didn't forgive any driver errors.

Best Regards
    Martin

13. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    They were just an OK tire. Not great by any standard. They were better than the TRX they replaced but that was it. Also when driven hard regularly the tread blocks wore very unevenly and became very noisy like an aggressive mud and snow tire.

14. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    This I noticed too and first thought it's the tire behaviour itself. Until I had to purchase a fresh rear pair and wanted to stick to the Eagles till the front ones were worn. I got the impression, that that 'rough feeling' was slightly better and now more on the front axle, but came back also on the rear after a while.
    Anyway, I was glad, when the front ones were worn and I could fit the Pilot Sports. A different world.

I think, it may not so important in Texas. But in the rain, the Eagles were complete crap.

Best Regards
    Martin

15. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #15 Rifledriver, Mar 8, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2019
    Texas is famous for big rain storms and flooded roads. Stevie Ray Vaughn sang a song "it's floodin down in Texas and the telephone lines are down". He lived here in Austin.
    Here is a picture of the tunnel at the F1 race track. Its plenty big for big trucks.

Attached Files:

• 296.jpg
      296.jpg
      File size:
      51.4 KB
      Views:
  16. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Of course. Sorry, I just had a wrong picture of Texas.
    A really great, great record (R.I.P.):

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Best Regards
    Martin

nerofer likes this.
  17. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Indeed! "Texas flood" was released by Stevie Ray Vaughan in 1983, but the original release of the song was by Larry Davis in 1958, if my memory, etc...
    Rgds

Martin308GTB likes this.
  18. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Hey Bruno,
    from tyres to music :)
    I like the SRV-version better, though L.Davis of course deserves the main credit.
    But there are more examples. Dylan songs are the best example. He supplied the rough diamonds while others grind the brilliant out of them.

Best Regards
    Martin

19. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
  20. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Not to forget credits for his other band members. Being a hobbyist rock Hammond-organ player, I just love this. Also from the Texas Flood album:

from 0:42:

Best Regards
    Martin

21. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    My ex was a professional keyboard player and her favorite was a Hammond B3. Mostly rock but she loved playing gospel and got hired for some interesting gospel gigs.

22. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Sorry for your loss.

Best Regards
    Martin

23. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
  24. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Yes indeed. They are great looking. But how are they regarding driveability? Are there meanwhile any test results existing?
    There was a lot of technical progress during the last 30-40 years regarding tyres. And though I also love a thread pattern which fits my car, at the end of the day I think 'form follows function'. I want to have a safe feeling when often caught in rain. A nice tire with a beautiful thread pattern is fairly useless when slippery.
    Even more given the price of those classic P7s.

Best from Germany
    Martin

25. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Good questions. If I had a show-worthy 328 I'd have two sets of wheels - one for "normal driving" and the other, with the P7s, for winning trophys. :)