458 - DIY Spark Plug change, possible? | FerrariChat

458 DIY Spark Plug change, possible?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Gibbo205, Mar 4, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gibbo205

Gibbo205 Rookie

Feb 20, 2017
    Hi there

Had my 458 a week now and maybe I am just getting used to its quirks or it could do with fresh plugs.

Car feels a little jerky in the 1000-3000rpm range, at very light or partial throttle, now I understand this is somewhat down to the jerky throttle these cars have.

But tonight, yes its cold (2c) and wet here but I got in the car, started it and drove it immediately, did not allow it to idle and the car hesitated a little and in 2nd gear the car for 1-2s literally had zero response from throttle, just like it was doing nothing, then it accelerated fine, then it idled a little rough for 1-2s and it was then absolutely fine, no issues.

Now normally I let the car idle for a few seconds before driving off from cold, so maybe it was just that and its a quirk or maybe the car could benefit from a set of fresh plugs, its a 2014 car on 15,000 miles and I know it has done some track driving so it would have being up at high RPM a lot due to track work which may have accelerated plug life.

Or what I am witnessing is just a quirk of the car and I should always give it a few seconds to idle before driving off as this is first time I've started it and literally started driving from cold, all other times I've give it 10-20s to idle from cold before driving, though the somewhat jerky throttle nature has always being there but I think thats just car as once warmed up and not in traffic its silky smooth and pulls crazy hard.

Still I feel it is good maintenance to change the plugs, yes I know the manual states 60,000 miles, but car is 5yr old and I feel it certainly cannot do any harm.

So when it comes to plugs there seems to be two compatible parts:
    https://www.scuderiacarparts.com/part/263738/ferrari/297423/ignition-spark-plug.html
    or
    https://www.scuderiacarparts.com/part/23905/ferrari/254771/spark-plug.html

Both seem to be NGK plus, 254771 seems to be the original and 297423 supercedes that part, has anyone used the latter in 458?

Onto the plug change, is it possible as a DIY? What kind of tools are required and is it all easy access from above? I've done plug changes before on other cars but of course this is a bit more special and maybe not as easily accessible.

2. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Last time I changed the spark plugs on my Ferrari (which I think was my 355, some years back), I had to get them via some friend of a friend that worked at NGK or something, because the correct plugs were a "Ferrari only" part # and the general public couldn't order them. Maybe that's changed, but it's hard to say.

I'm sure you can change them. However, I think the better question is should you change them - especially if the car has low miles. 15K miles on modern plugs is nothing. Most plugs these days can go 40K or 50K miles without thinking twice. Now, if you had a 1966 mustang and the plugs had 15,000 miles on them, then I'd say, "yes, changing your plugs is probably a good idea and probably will help"

With your 458, I think changing the plugs at this stage in the game is not only probably a waste of time (and potential risk if you aren't sure of what you are doing), but also will most likely not solve any problems, nor make the car run any better. Again, today's spark plugs can go 50,000 miles and not even look used practically.

My advice would be to start by resetting the ECU in the car by disconnecting the battery; then go through the re-connection procedure in the owner's manual, and see if that helps the car run better.

The 458 Italia is basically bullet proof. However, keep in mind it's more of a race car than a Toyota or Honda. Ever notice how they warm up race cars before going out on the track? Or how they warm up two stroke motorcycles? Ferraris do great in 50-60 degree F (or higher) temperature, but in ice cold weather, I would say you should allow the car to warm up for a few minutes before driving. I mean, even here, where I live, when it's 50 degrees F, I still warm the car up for a minute or so and then drive very gently for the first 5 or so miles, keeping the RPM's below 3500 as much as possible.

So yeah.. plugs, no. Warm up the motor, yes.

And I'd reset the ECU just to put the computers back to base line.

Ray

peterp, Extreme1 and flash32 like this.
  3. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Just a note about resetting ECUs - on the F12, you must remember that when the car reboots after reapplication of power there are several sequences you must follow and in a particular order. One requirement is the engine idle calibration tables were lost when you removed power and the ignition/injection ECU that correctly establishes the self-adaptive idle parameters needs the intake air temperature to be above 41 degrees F (5 C) when rebuilding the table. If you live where it’s cold like it is now during winter, then you need a heated garage.

Please check to see if this is common to the 458. :)

RayJohns likes this.
  4. Gibbo205

Gibbo205 Rookie

Feb 20, 2017

Thanks guys, sounds like good advise before I shell out on plugs then that I probably don't need.
    This morning the car drove fine, I gave it 60s to warm up and zero issues.

I am assuming it is normal that for the first couple of minutes the gearbox is slow on these cars, for instance pull the paddle and it takes half a second to change up whilst cold, once its warmed it changes instantly, almost like the gearbox builds pressure from cold, again no doubt just to safe guard itself, I am one of the few people using a 458 as a DD all year round, so it gets to come out in cold weather.

The other thing I've noticed and it was present on other cars I test drove is like a power delay in first gear, give the car big throttle in first gear either from stand still or once rolling and the car makes that gorgeous sound but the torque/power seems delayed as if the car is torque limiting or maybe an onboard ECU is detecting the low ambient temperature and it knows the tyres will end up spinning like crazy so the initial hit is somewhat subdued. Is this normal?

You can see what I mean at 20s and 58s in the below video:

5. Gibbo205

Gibbo205 Rookie

Feb 20, 2017
    Oh I shall try the ECU reset procedure as outlined in the manual once its warmer here. :)
    I suspect it could probably do with that and when it is in for a service I shall ask ferrari for a clutch reset and relearn also.

6. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    The gear box is hydraulically actuated - give the poor thing a chance to warm up :)

I think if you put any Ferrari (or exotic) in super low temps, you are going to see similar issues.

I forgot that the manual mentions the reset must occur above a certain temperature. Make sure you follow the info in the owner's manual when reconnecting the battery.

Ray

7. Golattus

Golattus Karting
    BANNED

Dec 15, 2017
    Full Name:
    JN
  8. Golattus

Golattus Karting
    BANNED

Dec 15, 2017
    Full Name:
    JN
  9. Gibbo205

Gibbo205 Rookie

Feb 20, 2017
    Yep same plugs as Italia, I feel what I am experiencing is probably normal.
    But as I intend on keeping the car for several years I am going to get the plugs changed as its just good care, I am sure they don't need doing, but at the same time it also won't harm doing them.

Rexcat458 likes this.
  10. thebigo

thebigo Karting

Feb 10, 2019
    What you experience with decreased torque in the first gear might simply be the traction control kicking in due to reduced grip. Likely normal in low temperatures. Be very careful with a supercar in low temps anyway.

11. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    My dealer verified that on my 2010 458 Italia, the plugs are part number 254771. Other model years might be different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    I respectfully disagree with RayJohns, though his knowledge is far more than mine will ever be on all things Ferrari.

My ‘13 spider had a similar ‘stumble’ at cold start and would often throw codes and go into limp mode at high rpms. Was smooth mid range.

I had my mechanic change plugs. I know he had a hell of a time getting the coils loose. Said the plugs needed to be changed despite the low mileage (15,000 at the time). I think it maybe had something to do with the FL heat.

Car runs great now, revs clean to the limiter and no codes.

The jerkiness at low rpm went away after I installed a DME tune.

13. Dorin Candea

Dorin Candea Rookie

Oct 10, 2018
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Dorin Candea
    I was told by my mechanic that I should have my spark plugs changed every 10 years .

SD455TA likes this.
  14. Rexcat458

Rexcat458 Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I had the dealer change the plugs on my ‘15 458 Italia at ~20k miles. Luckily for me and the mechanic, the plugs and the coil packs all came out without any issues.

I was not having any problems , I just wanted to prevent any removal issues by waiting longer.

Cheers!

Buzzl likes this.
  15. Dorin Candea

Dorin Candea Rookie

Oct 10, 2018
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Dorin Candea
    I have 18000 miles on my 2011 , yes hope the cool pack come off easy with out damage

16. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    If the car idles and revs normally, then the plugs should be changed at anywhere from 25000 to 35000 miles. Coil packs will last 75000 to 125000 miles

If there is some rough behavior, first change the plugs and see if that solves the issue. The Eldor coil packs are very durable and reliable. A fouled plug is generally the culprit and an inexpensive and easy fix (Ferrari OEM =NGK platinum pre-gapped).

SD455TA likes this.
  17. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Get them taken out and inspected, if they are all the same colour and in good nick, then wire brush the threads and put them back in. Mine came out of an 08 430 after 15000 miles and like new, gaps did not need resetting either.
    Taking out after 10 years ensures they dont get tight in the head threads. They are good for 40000 miles