Air compressor for home garage | FerrariChat

Air compressor for home garage

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by mrgreystone, Mar 5, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mrgreystone

mrgreystone Rookie

Feb 20, 2019
    Full Name:
    Alex Wood
    It's time to upgrade my 4.5gal DeWalt air compressor. I want one that has at least a 60 gallon tank, dual stage etc. My garage is already plumbed for air and there's a 220v outlet right where the compressor will go. Can't have too much motor though, since the compressor circuit is only a 30 amp breaker.
    Anyway, budget up to $800. Would love some suggestions.

2. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Tell us what you will be using it for

Painting, air tools, sanding

News to keep in mind cfm based on airtools you will use

The two I would use to compare shopping is the 359 dollar one and 799 dollar central pneumatic ones at harbor freight

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

3. Jaguar36

Jaguar36 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2010
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    As Flash said, what are you going to be using it for? At this point beyond painting I prefer electric (cordless for most things, corded for sanders still) tools to pneumatic.

For spraying I got a Quincy 3.5hp 60 Gallon a few years back for $800. It puts out a ton of CFM for its HP, and isn't particularly loud. It works well for the HVLP spray guns that I have. I'm pretty sure I've got it on a 30amp breaker too. You're not going to get a two stage from a good brand for $800, they're more in the $1200+ range.

4. ncjetskier

ncjetskier Formula 3

Jul 7, 2012
    Eastern NC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I second Harbor Freight. I have a 165 PSI compressor single stage 60 gal and love it. I have a group of trucks which the lugs are normally hard to take off. This compressor does it no problem.

5. GT4 Joe

GT4 Joe Formula Junior

Oct 19, 2010
    Dana Point, Ca.
    Full Name:
    Joe Williams
    I'll second the Quincy. This unit is great. I run sanders, polishers, die grinders, non-hvlp spray guns, blow guns, drills, impacts. No probs for a 1 man shop. You should, however, install it correctly.
    Than means drilling your floor to bolt it down, and use vibration pads. Also a flex line to the wall plumbing. Mine is located close to the main fusebox, so no line loss. Used an existing 220 plug w/2 old 15amp breakers.
    I did have to cinch the pipe from the pump to the tank, and rebuild the drain cock to eliminate air leaks. Now that its done, its perfect. After adding wall plumbing, hose reels, water traps etc., I am into it just shy of $1500.00.
    But if you want plenty of reliable air, this is not the place to cheap out.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

mrgreystone likes this.
  6. mrgreystone

mrgreystone Rookie

Feb 20, 2019
    Full Name:
    Alex Wood
    #6 mrgreystone, Mar 14, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
    Love the air powered tools that come with many advantages over the electric ones. I was thinking to use it for spraying, drilling and sanding. As expected, size and costs are important. No problem with the spraying equipment. However when I checked about sanding - I was more than surprised. Random orbital sanders require 17 cfpm while all other tools require far less.
    Thank you very much for your replies. I truly appreciate it.

7. Jaguar36

Jaguar36 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2010
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    Have you tried some of the good electric sanders from Mirka or Festool? I perfer them to the air sanders I've used. Plus its always seemed silly to use a 5+HP air compressor to power a little sander.