5K Rev Limit on 812 Superfast when cold | FerrariChat

5K Rev Limit on 812 Superfast when cold

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by GameMaker, Mar 4, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GameMaker

GameMaker Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2014
    WA State
    Has anyone else noticed their 812 Superfast limits the revs to 5k before it's warmed up? I'm talking pretty cold here as it's been freezing here lately. Once it warms up a bit it can rev freely.

The computer doesn't say anything, it just seems to limit it. My dealer hasn't seen this happen and I'm thinking it might be an ECU change for just the latest cars.

So anyone else see this?

2. lamborarri

lamborarri Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2015
    Yes, when its cold you cant rev it over 5k rpm. Then even the car is at normal temp, you still cant rev to 9k rpm.

Shack likes this.
  3. deltona

deltona Formula 3

Aug 7, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Yes, it’s the same on my late 2018 Lusso V12.

4. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    I think that's a very fair feature. I like the idea behind it.

5. Gullwing

Gullwing Karting

Aug 30, 2016
    I guess I’m not surprised that it exists but really, if you understand mechanics you wouldn’t try pushing an engine until it has warmed up. The majority of damage to an engine is caused when cold and pushed hard.

Always make sure the oil is up to temperature before driving hard.

6. GameMaker

GameMaker Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2014
    WA State
    I get why they would want such a feature, it makes sense to me. My other cars do it.

I tried in neutral this morning as well, 5k hard limit when cold.

7. GTS Bruce

GTS Bruce Pisses in your Cheerios

Oct 10, 2012
    Orchard Park NY
    Full Name:
    Bruce Roche
    Hey its your car. But I would keep the revs under 3500 for the first 15-20 minutes until all parts are completely warmed up.

8. R J

R J Formula Junior

May 17, 2017
    UK
    The 812 Owner’s Manual recommends not exceeding 4,000 rpm until engine is at least 65c-70c. And not exceeding 5,000rpm in any event until you have done 1,000kms.

I tend to stay below 3,000 in any car until full operating temp. Will do same when 812 arrives. Even 4,000 seems high until up to temp. Will also be paranoid about not exceeding that 5,000 rpm limit until it has covered 1,000kms. I know with modern engines run in on dyno this is not like the old days when running in realy was mandatory, but ...

9. GameMaker

GameMaker Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2014
    WA State
    Staying below 3000 in the 812 will be close to impossible. 4000 sure, but 3000.... unlikely.

10. gzachary

gzachary Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Jan 10, 2011
    California
    CETH, carlom001 and R J like this.
  11. R J

R J Formula Junior

May 17, 2017
    UK
    Sounds like a game/challenge. Looking forward to finding out. Mine arrives in July - subject to any delays (of course)

gzachary likes this.
  12. carlom001

carlom001 Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2010
    Congrats - what blue is that? - looks great.

13. deltona

deltona Formula 3

Aug 7, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Justin
    I’ve seen so many Ferrari revved to high rpms from cold star so people can have a ‘quick listen’ to the car.

This can potentially cause a lot of engine wear as the viscosity of the oil at low temperatures means much less protection.

Great idea in my opinion.

14. gzachary

gzachary Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Jan 10, 2011
    California
    Thank you! Very nice of you to say. Blu elettrico is the color. I saw it on online and loved it. Then I went to the factory and saw it in the tailor made shop. And out of a huge wall of brilliant incredible arched samples of paint, I could instantly pick out the blu elettrico. That was when I knew it was the color I was going to love. Too late I had already ordered :) There are better photographs of blu elettrico across fchat.

carlom001 likes this.