New CA Exhaust Law | FerrariChat

New CA Exhaust Law

Discussion in 'California & Nevada (Northern)' started by robertgarven, Jan 9, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rory breaker

Rory breaker Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2017
    Can someone who knows for sure clarify:
    - can they ticket you if you have out of state plates, with an out of state license?
    - what about in state license, but still out of state plates?

Finally, if they do ticket you in either case above...does it jus go into the ether, or would it legitimately follow state to state/prevent future registrations/etc?

2. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/pubs/brochures/howto/htvr33

3. Rory breaker

Apr 17, 2017
    Don’t see it there thanks

4. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    It doesn’t answer your questions in the way you phrase them, but you should be able to figure out the answer based on your specific circumstances. For instance, how long have you been in California and are you now living here? How you answer those questions may determine whether the officer cites you. How long has the car been in California compared to time, if any, spent out of state during this calendar year? Etc.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

5. Rory breaker

Apr 17, 2017
    I don’t see the answers - that’s the point, no the car would be registered out of state, my license out of state, just here a few days a month officer - can they ticket me, as an out of state driver, out of state plates?

6. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    I’d venture they probably wouldn’t try.

But they would like tell you that if you are here more than a few weeks then you are considered to have residency.

So if you have employment in the state you have some measure of residency.

If they were really suspicious they might put a note on your registration card so if you were found again at a later date then they might issue a ticket or dig more deeply.

SV

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

7. Enzojr

Enzojr F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2013
    West of PDX
    Full Name:
    Tomy
    Click the link.
    Look at ... Am I a California resident ?
    Are you gainfully employed. Military personnel are not considered gainfully employed in California, even if they also hold a civilian job.
    Why would you even want to live in a place like this ;)

8. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    CHP is very aggressive about this. If the same guy sees you a second time driving around you're screwed.

Texas Forever likes this.
  9. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    When I retire, I'm going to own a home in Texas, and a home in California, where Texas is my main residence and I escape from the heat by staying in the California home for 2-3 months a year. I would like to see them try giving me a ticket so I can fight with them in court. I need something to do, by then.

10. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I lived right at the foot of Mt Diablo in Alamo and it was hotter there than it is here. Summer here is longer but not hotter.

Don't tell the Texans but the hottest place on earth according to the good folks at the Guiness Book of World Records is California. Texans like to complain about the weather but an awful lot of Californians like it just fine.

Texas Forever likes this.
  11. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Hottest place on earth is Death Valley. They call it that for a reason. Nothing lives there except for rattle snakes and scorpions. If you meet one of those, you will soon be dead. Hence Death Valley.

12. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    People live in and around Death Valley, always have. Have a look at all the weather records in Needles.

13. Back'n'Black

Back'n'Black Karting

Aug 8, 2017
    Roseville, CA
    Full Name:
    Matt
    That's my California.....the "Shake 'n Bake" state. Down south, they shake and up north, we bake.