F8 Tributo... what happens to the price on 458 and 488 | FerrariChat

F8 Tributo... what happens to the price on 458 and 488

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by John458, Mar 6, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. John458

John458 Karting

Nov 24, 2014
    Ohio
    F8 Tributo has been announced and now the 488 owners are wondering what happens to the price of my car and what happens to the price of the 458. Any thoughts?

Dashow likes this.
  2. rmk40

rmk40 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 3, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Rafi
    My biased opinion is that it impacts the price of the 488 more than the 458. Two reasons for this. One is that the 458 has already slowed in terms of depreciation while the 488 has a ways to go. Second is “the last NA Ferrari” and 458 being the more groundbreaking car.

It’s all speculation of course. As others around here will say, if we own these cars while consistently being concerned about depreciation, we probably shouldn’t own them. I watch the market purely out of interest and don’t care at all what my car ends up being worth by the time I’m ready to sell.

3. John458

John458 Karting

Nov 24, 2014
    Ohio
    I loved my 458 and am considering it again. But will the 458 drop to the price level of the F430? If so, they are few years away from $120k range.

4. rmk40

rmk40 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 3, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Rafi
    I really doubt we’ll see 458s get that low, except for examples with high mileage, accidents, etc. If anything it seems like the price flatlined over this past year.

5. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    They'll both go down as normal since both have a ways to go still before bottoming, however 488 prices will be more immediately effected since this is just a better 488 at roughly the same price.

6. John458

John458 Karting

Nov 24, 2014
    Ohio
    I can't see 488 price dropping below 458. I don't know if that's ever happened.

7. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    I think they will...heck you are already seeing some GTB's in the $220's. F8 is only going to put more pressure on 488 market and people dump them...granted we are probably 6 months from that as people prep for F8.

8. John458

John458 Karting

Nov 24, 2014
    Ohio
    I sold my 488 at the time and made a small profit but it's a different time now. I love the sound and feel of the 458 but sometimes newer is better with simple things like being able to stream music via bluetooth which 458 does not have.

Shadowfax and sampelligrino like this.
  9. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    Hard to argue with that.

cridom60 likes this.
  10. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    The price of both will continue to drop, simple. Any other hard questions?

Leeman, goldlifter, nmcclure and 3 others like this.
  11. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    I’m guessing both will be impacted, but the 488 coupe more so the the spider. I also don’t think the 458 has that much room left to depreshiate since it is the last naturally aspirated Ferrari mid engines v-8. Where things would
    Get interesting is if the f8 is the last v8 ferrari, this could in theory increase the value of all of the Earlier Ferrari’s to an extent.

12. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Car guys are in a constant state of restlessness no matter which car(s) they own. However, when a new model is introduced that is an improvement over the old on every level, the desire to buy it is voracious. Lots of 488s will soon appear on the used market. Result- falling prices.

13. FerrariFR33458

FerrariFR33458 Formula 3

Aug 4, 2017
    Wash DC Area
    Full Name:
    FR33
    IMHO The V6 release could bolster 488 & F8 prices. Purest mentally associate bigger with better. The V6 hybrid haters could flock to the used 488, New f8, if the V6 is hideous and or sounds terrible.

14. lamborarri

lamborarri Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2015
    Just like everyone else said above, both 458 and 488 will drop. Probably the spider version would drop much slower compared to the coupe. Despite lots of ppl saying 458 is the last NA, but whenever I'm in a 488 I never really come across and think "hmm, I should have a 458 instead." 488 is just a better car. If 488 starts falling, 458 will continue to fall, that's the nature of it.

15. DingDIng

DingDIng Rookie

Jul 16, 2008
    Houston tx
    What about Speciale and Pista?

16. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    Can you tell me how the F8 is an improvement on every level over the 488? Honestly, the only reason I will get it is for the extra horsepower and the fact I might be able to get an early allocation. If they tell me to wait two years, forget it. The 458 people are the ones I think will be dumping their cars to get this one. Look at the differences there, 150hp just for starters and then two iterations worth of improvements. This silly last NA stuff isn't going to hold water when you are toodling along in your 458 and being run down my Mustangs and Camaros. Who cares how it sounds, you just got dusted bad in your expensive exotic by a lowly $80k Mustang.

MartinRS2K and Shadowfax like this.
  17. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    The exterior is noticeably changed and in the opinion
    of many enhanced. Has the Pista engine. Lots of new aero bits which increases downforce. The suspension and dampers are new . Most would agree that all these changes represent improvements over the 488. Doubtful that Ferrari would make the F8 worse
    than the outgoing model.

goldlifter likes this.
  18. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    I am not sure the exterior is really an improvement, it's certainly different and it's also good looking but not better looking IMO. The engine power increase is a clear improvement but the aero stuff won't matter much and now you can't really see the engine anymore, just a bunch of covers like German cars.

I wasn't saying it's not an improvement, just not at every level and it sure looks to me like the interior has suffered with those huge round air vents. The driver interface looks the same to me and I don't like what I have on the 488 right now so they didn't fix the weaknesses there. I would have preferred a HUD in this model, that would be an improvement. I think the horn is now in the middle and to me that is an improvement.

sampelligrino likes this.
  19. tekaefixe

tekaefixe Formula 3

May 10, 2012
    CH
    Full Name:
    Paulo
    Models after 2013 do!

daytona355 likes this.
  20. tekaefixe

tekaefixe Formula 3

May 10, 2012
    CH
    Full Name:
    Paulo
    Apparently 458 Spider prices stopped moving down and in some cases went up.

evo3, daytona355, Afonsolaw and 2 others like this.
  21. galt

galt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2005

For alot of buyers, including myself, I could care less if a muscle car or another exotic is faster in a straight line. Same is actually true of cornering. So long as the car is "fast enough".

What I care about is the sound and the feel. And, as importantly , those attributes don't really do you much good if you can never access them IE drive drive the car at least remotely close to it's performance envelope. And that, to me, is the issue with a 720, 488 and F8, gt2 RS, superfast etc. You only get a rare opportunity to really drive the car on the street in such a way that you can be on it for less than a few seconds.

For buyers like me cars like Scud/stradale/458 are "more fun". For that same reason I would far prefer a GT3 touring over a GT2 RS. In fact a Carrera T with a naturally aspirated high reving smaller engine 3.6) and skinnier tires would he even better. Or an equivalent brand new back to basics ferrari--front engined 3.6 (or less) liter V12. For me, getting the chance to wring out a modern Ferrari V12 all the time in normal(ish) driving conditions would be automotive Nirvana.

Not to say the 720, GT2 RS, 488, Pista, F8 etc are not great cars. Especially if you value low lap tines and the feeling of very hard accelleration. They are fantastic ..but in today's age horsepower is just not that rare and it is pretty hard to fully enjoy for some people anywhere other than a track.

My two cents and I realize I am probably in the minority..

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

22. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I dont know about other 488s, but I expect my personal car to appreciate and appreciate significantly. Enough that I will be able to retire on the proceeds.

JohnTz, Dorin Candea, Adamas and 7 others like this.
  23. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    Agree if the V6 sounds bad but that might happen to all engines if the Particulate Filter becomes mandatory.

Anyhow, I wouldn't get too hung up on the number of cylinders.

The AM RB 003 is V6TT/hybrid and I bet they sell all 50 of them for $1.3 million each before the first owner takes delivery.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a26632785/aston-martin-am-rb-003-photos-info/

"However, when a new model is introduced that is an improvement over the old on every level"? :rolleyes:

That's quite a statement. Many Ferrari owners evidenced by the strong opinions on this very site would disagree, as would equally as many believing the exterior is an improvement over the 488.

My 2014 Spider didn't:(

24. klinkman

klinkman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 29, 2018
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Had a chat with my dealer this morning on the topic of consigning my 488 spider, and how the F8 would affect. He had a couple of inputs:

1. F8 coupe isn't due to arrive for a year+
    2. F8 spider would follow a year later, spring of 2020.

So in the near term there is no consequence for the GTB, for the Spider push that out another 12 mos.

Scudmsl and MANDALAY like this.
  25. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    AND if the f8 is big $$ the older cars will seem like a bargain....