812 Superfast, race seats or not? | FerrariChat

812 Superfast, race seats or not?

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by tickerhound, Mar 3, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Would you prefer race seats or the standard seats in an 812?

1. Racing seats:

73 vote(s)
    65.2%
  2. Standard:

39 vote(s)
    34.8%
  1. tickerhound

tickerhound Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2016
    IL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Contemplating racing seats for my 812 spec, not sure if this is the way to go.

2. clockem

clockem Formula 3

May 18, 2009
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Gary
    I have them in F12, 812 and have ordered them in my Pista (standard). Very comfortable and I am 6’2. If you order them strongly suggest the seat lifter. Without it they sit very low.

3. Jordan68

Jordan68 Formula Junior

May 12, 2015
    Dubai
    Full Name:
    Jordan W
    I have standard seats both on my FF and 488 ... I love to order racing seats for my 812... but I am also 6,2 with back problems !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Red Sled

Red Sled Formula Junior

#4 Red Sled, Mar 3, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2019
    I have carbon fibre race seats on mine and, in GT mode over long distances, find the padding quite hard and not particularly comfortable. Would be worth trying both before deciding.

5. ajr550

ajr550 Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2014
    UK and Caribbean
    Full Name:
    Andrew Roberts
    Do you mean the carbon backed race seats or the fixed buckets ?
    If former they are fine and give you more headroom.
    Latter will hit resale as not adjustable.

6. BaronM69

BaronM69 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 29, 2005
    Washington DC / FR
    In the us you have to have the seat lifter.

7. tickerhound

tickerhound Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2016
    IL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Thanks for the feedback, I do have race seats with the lifter in my 488 and the full power standard seats (which I never touch the adjustments) in my 458. Just wondering about the race seats being perceived as out of place in a GT car.

8. GameMaker

GameMaker Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2014
    WA State
    It really depends on how big you are and how you are going to use the car. I personally like the comfort of the regular seats. Plus they are electric, have seat heaters etc. To me it's one of the nice things of the 812 is the comfort factor in the car is quite high (for example it's way more comfortable than my Corvette).

R J likes this.
  9. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    I spec’d mine with the Daytona version of the race seats. I’m 6’6” and the race seats allow for additional head room.

R J likes this.
  10. carlom001

carlom001 Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2010
    I have the race seats in my Aperta and TDF - they are great for those cars from a form and function perspective, but for the 812 I went with the regular seats which are more comfortable and adjustable-perfect for its role as a GT car. However I was surprised how well they do on the track - not as good as the race seats obviously but still held me in place to the point I did not even think about the seats on the track. So if 812 will be tracked a lot - then race seats, otherwise if driving on regular roads is the target, then I would go with the standard seats.

11. Bundy

Bundy Formula 3

May 18, 2011
    Arizona & Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Anir
    I’ve had the Goldrake race seats in the F12, 488, 812, and upcoming Pista. Our FF is the only model with standard seats. IMO, the race seats suit the sporting character of most Ferraris better. I wouldn’t buy a Ferrari with standard seats if race seats were an original option.

I find the race seats quite comfortable for most journeys, but after putting 1,000 miles on the 812 last week (plus tons of track miles at Road Atlanta and Barber), my lower back was a little sore.

of2worlds likes this.
  12. JasonN

JasonN Formula Junior

Sep 24, 2017
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I have the large CF racing seats in my 458 and I like them. Black leather with a black alcantara center and red leather stripe. I went with the standard seats for the 812 figuring I'll be driving on longer trips. I also went with the alcantara center and red leather stripe. My car hasn't been built yet so I'll see how I like them.

13. Jelial

Jelial Formula Junior

Mar 25, 2017
    I'm thinking myself to add them on my spec.....

14. Jelial

Jelial Formula Junior

Mar 25, 2017
    I did add RSCH and RSES just yesterday...I like those seats too much!!

Bundy likes this.
  15. Bundy

Bundy Formula 3

May 18, 2011
    Arizona & Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Anir
    From Automobile magazine, March 9, 2019:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

I’m still happy that I chose the Goldrake race seats (matte CF), but I understand this sentiment.

of2worlds likes this.
  16. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    I went from race, to thinking the standard are likely more comfortable and the adjusting easier with driver memory, back to the race because they look soooo much better.

17. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    I did a TM car, chose the standard seats with a design detail to follow the historic car I was using as inspiration. Then after a few months realised it was a mistake. I find the race seats very comfortable, as does my wife, for even very long road trips. If you drive quickly they are so much better for holding you in place and the real key is keeping your shoulders pinned which adds feel when you drive quickly, which I figured is more important. I changed the seats, I think to the irritation of the factory but thankfully they agreed! I also think it might have delayed my car though - I’m hoping it arrives soon!

BaronM69, ajr550, Feroari and 2 others like this.
  18. Jelial

Jelial Formula Junior

Mar 25, 2017
    A question about the spec of the 812:
    Chosing the colored inner details in the car you get all those beautiful color accents in the cabin including the the stripe in the center of the "regular" seats of the car.
    If I go with racing seats I get the same central stripe or I have to chose as an extra option for that colored stripe in the center of the seat? I don't know if I made myself clear.

Thanks everyone in advance!

19. R J

R J Formula Junior

May 17, 2017
    UK
    If you chose colored inner details and you spec the race seats, then (likewise with the standard seats) you get a central stripe through the race seat in the same colour that you have selected for the colored inner details.

Jelial likes this.
  20. Jelial

Jelial Formula Junior

Mar 25, 2017
    I just tried the carbon seats in the 812 here in Geneva and they are so comfortable, it looks like you have more support for your back than standard seat of my 488....I guess I did the right thing to add them on my 812 spec.

Lagunae92 likes this.
  21. j09333

j09333 Formula 3

May 7, 2004
    It is not the back but the leg that gets painful when it comes to race seats.

It has flat surface and can not be tilted so that the knee is kinda in the air all the time.

If you have lifter you can lift it but still not tilt it.

I prefer bucket but its far more expensive after thought since in my coutry it is not specable from the get go

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

22. Ferrariski

Ferrariski Rookie

Feb 23, 2019
    Full Name:
    John
    #22 Ferrariski, Mar 21, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
    I would personally go with standard in either Daytona, Diamond Stitched or Pattern - especially if the car will be driven as a daily or on longer trips. I find the carbon racing seats way too hard and uncomfortable. It’s also a pain to adjust. They do however look stunning when specced to match color elements of the car. Like these:

Actualizer likes this.
  23. Corsair66

Corsair66 Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2016
    Clermont, FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Hey Guys,

Having sold my F430 earlier this year, I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a new 812. For my 52-year old back, I found the race seats to be fairly uncomfortable during a ~30 minute test drive and have decided on the Daytonas. As my car will be almost entirely street-driven (including some longer trips), that seems like the best choice. The bolsters offer more than sufficient support for the couple of track days I'll do each year. Frankly, when on the track in street cars, I'm more concerned about the 3-point belts vs. a proper racing harness, but that's just me.

Anyway, back to lurking mode... :)

Ken

Attached Files:

of2worlds likes this.
  24. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    I had race seats once. They were comfortable up to about 1 1/2 hours then I was wishing for standard electric seats with more adjustments available. Oddly, the thing I missed mostly though was a proper headrest. I find that I frequently rest my head in the Ferrari on long stretches and that is not possible with the helmet accommodations in race seats.

I love the full electrics in our 812.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

MB224, Ferrariski and Corsair66 like this.
  25. Jelial

Jelial Formula Junior

Mar 25, 2017
    I find those seats amazing, the side inserts in colored leather are awesome.....from now on I will always go for it!

Ferrariski likes this.