F8 Tributo... what happens to the price on 458 and 488 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

F8 Tributo... what happens to the price on 458 and 488

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by John458, Mar 6, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Well bro , if that doesn’t work out for you , you will still have the plaid jacket to fall back on. :eek:

SoCal to az likes this.
  2. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I could always put on my plaid jacket and drive around in auto mode.

Cigarzman and of2worlds like this.
  3. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    You don't spend much time at 9k rpm driving around town in a 458 so the sound can't be a factor trundling around at 3k rpm all day. The whole argument of the sound being a big deal is just that. It's a sales pitch to current owners of the 458 created by themselves. Most buyers couldn't care less about the sound if the performance numbers are great. They will fix the sound. With a V6 it will be harder to do. With the 488, it's easy to make it louder but does it need to be? Not for most people. I modded my exhaust right away because I wanted it a little louder but the note was great to begin with and that hasn't changed with the removal of the muffler/baffle.

How can the 458 "feel" better than the 488? I really don't get this, the car is inferior to the 488 so how can the "feel" of the 458 be better than the 488 or f8?

MartinRS2K, Motorwerks, dhlnb and 5 others like this.
  4. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William

This seems hard to believe. I would assume that as with the Pista and Portofino, deliveries will begin this fall.

5. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Couldnt disagree more with you.

But now I know there are buyers for 488's, McLarens and V6's.

porschemeister and of2worlds like this.
  6. klinkman

klinkman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 29, 2018
    Full Name:
    Eric
    not sure what you're referring to. Just reporting what was conveyed here . . .

7. rmk40

rmk40 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 3, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Rafi
    There are quite a few 488 owners who have either gone back and purchased a 458 or will disagree with you about sound not mattering. Ask them, that’s who I hear it from.

I don’t need to convince myself I prefer the 458. This was a deliberate choice, not one based on any constraints.

8. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    Who wants to start the “[Ferrari V6 hybrid little brother name here]... what happens to F8/488 values” thread or is it too soon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MANDALAY likes this.
  9. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    And there are tons of 488 owners who upgraded from a 458. Both great cars.

10. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    No deliveries of coupe for a year +, what your dealer said. Everyone talking about the F8 has been assuming it's a normal new car for delivery and order purposes. That means if I place an order in May and I get priority, I will be looking at the car arriving to the dealer by November.

theplanner likes this.
  11. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    I already knew that.

12. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    FTFY

13. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    I spend enough time on the forum to know this. ;)

14. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    You're not the only one, there are many of us. But you won't hear from the majority, because they have already left Fchat and don't plan to return.

Afonsolaw, Roland1688 and galt like this.
  15. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Too true.

Roland1688 and galt like this.
  16. Scraggy

Scraggy Formula 3

Apr 2, 2012
    England
    Full Name:
    Scraggy
    Ferrari model buying decision. Bluetooth streaming, really ?? Heaven help me.

Roland1688 likes this.
  17. Scraggy

Scraggy Formula 3

Apr 2, 2012
    England
    Full Name:
    Scraggy
    Ferrari model buying decision. Bluetooth streaming, really ?? Heaven help me.

Jafooli and galt like this.
  18. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    I upgraded from a 458 to the 488 both had golf ties in the disconnected vacuum lines. The sounds of both were excellent.

19. tekaefixe

tekaefixe Formula 3

May 10, 2012
    CH
    Full Name:
    Paulo
    At least the Speciale's have this feature so I was thinking all 2013 had it too

Surfah likes this.
  20. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    I'll second that notion.

galt likes this.
  21. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    When I stated the F 8 is an improvement on every level to the 488 I was not sufficiently specific. What I meant to say but was not precise in my comment,was that in all the areas where the F 8 has been updated compared to the 488, those changes represent improvements.

22. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    Don't consider the fugly exterior update or half-baked interior update with 812 vents tacked on the 488 dashboard to represent improvements so we agree to disagree.

Viperjoe, tekaefixe and IPO1 like this.
  23. galt

galt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2005
    #48 galt, Mar 6, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
    I think what you are missing is that what you like on a car is not what others like. To each their own. Frankly it is a bit presumptious of you to say people are fooling themselves when choosing a 458; I think they deserve a little more respect and seems strange you can't understand that others may have legitimate preferences that are different than yours.

The answer to your question is simple really. The point is that if the car has a lower performance envelope you will spend more time at higher RPMs and driving the car "harder". That is actually fun for some people. That should he pretty self explanatory. And the whole idea behind the often quoted line : "It is more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow". So no matter what you do to the 488's exhaust, if you are on full throttle for 4 seconds you will be going alot faster than you will in say a challenge Stradale doing the same thing. So on the street you just won't be doing it much.

Still not convinced that not everyone cares about outright performance? Good. I am happy to trade a 720 and a 488 for your 250 GTB if you have one of those old "inferior" cars laying aroond.. It only has a 3.0 liter V12 (notneben turbo) and is super slow so you should be eager to get of that bucket of bolts.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

24. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

No problem.

F6 IMOLA ;)

25. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    Never said anything about that quit trying to twist things. But yes, it's nice SOME brands have updates interiors and electronics. Not sole criteria. Duh!