Are people who are waiting for their 488 bummed about the F8? | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Are people who are waiting for their 488 bummed about the F8?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by 96redLT4, Mar 2, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    this model is a surprise because theyve never really done a 2nd update to same car. its always an evolution followed by a revolution. but this wouldnt really bother my as long as i had 488 for at least a year already. would take some of the shine off if i just took delivery of 488 though.

this is similar to what mclaren customers go through with their rapid updates and intros. but at least with mclaren there is no precedent of methodical updates like ferrari has. some surprises are just not that great

Shadowfax likes this.
  2. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

I see everything that you have stated :) But more important IS YOU WENT AGAINST the many that advised you to go second hand and save $$$$$ . You didn't. Like me a first timer NOTHING can be better than specing your own car. The way you want it. No regrets oh I dont have that ( when buying second hand ) No-one else's DNA on your steering wheel, NEW. Along comes the wait the anticipation the excitement !!!

and then

You will love the car.

3. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    new is very over rated. 1 month in and your 'new' car seems just as used as a used one. at least to me anyway

4. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    Speccing the car with the dad is PRICELESS!

MANDALAY likes this.
  5. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

It just isn't the same. I would agree only to standard cars even BMW or Porsche.

6. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

The one thing I would have loved to have had my Dad or Father-in-law there :( but always remembered and on my dedication plate

Viperjoe and sampelligrino like this.
  7. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    Same here. My dad had dementia too. For this reason alone I would consider speccing a 488, even this late at the cycle, completely makes sense and simply awesome. Let alone the rear of F8 is truly fugly.

8. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    I've been very fortunate that every car I've bought but one was used, and that was an old but very memorable and reliable Subaru wagon I had in college..
    Never actually planned that but just the way it has turned out for me. It's a premium experience that if I have the means I'm glad to pay for, depreciation be damned :)

Like you and iloveferrari agree on, being able to spec this car with my dad was just a lot of fun and a blessing, he still talks about how much fun it was. Same with our euro trip last year in my GT3, we just can't shut up and stop smiling about it. And same with now the wait and anticipation for my car to arrive. Sooner or later I hope more people will realize that these cars are all about the memories and experiences, not this hyper focus on value/newest shiny toy/depreciation/specs/lap times...

Look at the focus on F8 and 488/458 values. I wonder what mileage these guys average on their Fcars because if driven as intended, my guess is the depreciation wouldn't be prejudiced against the "older" car and also the guys who actually drive their cars likely don't care as much ;)

Some of us aren't willing to compromise on spec and there is something to be said about the process of getting your allocation, speccing it, waiting for the car to arrive which is hard to quantify in terms of money/price/value. Money only a secondary consideration there, these things are all about the memories/experiences. Decided I'd rather get a new 488 than a 458 Italia, F12, or even speciale and I can't wait. I'll lose the most money too, but I already knew that going in :)

bobw, ScrappyB, italiafan and 5 others like this.
  9. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    i get all that but wait times of over a yr followed by only a brief time before it becomes used itself makes buying used a viable alternative.

MANDALAY likes this.
  10. boobernackle

boobernackle Formula Junior

May 28, 2016
    No sour grapes here, I am truly thinking over my Pista allocation, as I can spec a F8 with the same engine and similar performance for $120K less than a Pista. Yes, Pista is 1 second faster around Ferrari's track, but that's with softer compound tires that weren't tested on the F8. I won't have to add all the CF as needed in a Pista. I'm having a hard time justifying the Pista, even though I think it's the better car, just don't know if it's better than $120K over the F8 given they both have the identical engine.

11. 96redLT4

96redLT4 Formula Junior

Feb 20, 2009
    California
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I look forward to seeing your car Sam. I'm sure it will be amazing.. You sound like me. I would want to have everything wired and paid in advance so as to not sully my delivery experience:)

J

sampelligrino likes this.
  12. 96redLT4

96redLT4 Formula Junior

Feb 20, 2009
    California
    Full Name:
    Jim

13. Principissimo

Principissimo Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2015
    Milano
    Full Name:
    Bruno
    Honestly speaking I would not be happy to receive a new car that is already the old model ;)
    But this is a personal opinion ;)

dmark1 and Shadowfax like this.
  14. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Yeah I would never buy a brand new old model either....at any money......so you are not alone on that one.

Principissimo likes this.
  15. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Americas Team Headquarters
    Full Name:
    Mark

You would if it was the only new Ferrari you could buy (I.e. brand new to the brand). Re,ember there’s nothing new about the 720 or Huracan either right now.

iloveferrari likes this.
  16. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    +1

17. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    huracan does have new evo and 720 spider

18. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Same car just with a different panel. Kind of like the 458 to 488 refresh.

19. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    evo does get rws which is a big deal. imo, similar to upgrade from 488 to f8.

20. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    Okay, it depends on what you would do with that 120k. I would probably buy a bac mono.

That makes sense!

boobernackle likes this.
  21. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    If it was me in that position, I would be happy to get one of the last 488s. It's a much nicer looking car than the F8 imo, which is trying too hard to be a McLaren/Lambo.

Most of the time the newer model looks nicer, but in some instances it's not the case. I think that's one of the cases here and similar to the E38 BMW going away and the E65 taking its spot. E39 replaced by the E60. 575M by the 599. 360 by the 430 etc.

dmark1 likes this.
  22. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Ferrari hasn't even priced the car yet, much less the option list to the DEALERS, so quit spewing nonsense about how much cheaper it will be. I pretty sure if the largest dealer in the nation doesn't yet know the pricing you don't know it.

Trust me, after seeing the Pista today for the first time in the flesh you will feel like an absolute fool in a few years if you walk away (assuming you have an allocation, correct?)

Viperjoe and BMW.SauberF1Team like this.
  23. boobernackle

boobernackle Formula Junior

May 28, 2016
    Yes I have an allocation for a Pista, but hesitant to pull the trigger without seeing the F8 in person. Right now leaning heavily towards the Pista and need to make a decision fast.

Giving the new Fugly the benefit of the doubt until I see it in the flesh.

dmark1 likes this.
  24. Golattus

Golattus Karting
    BANNED

Dec 15, 2017
    Full Name:
    JN
    IMO pista and F8 cannot be compared in any way. Different animals.

Pista has opened the eyes as a classic car, F8 in 3 years will be “the old model” when spotted on the roads, just like 488 is today.

Ferrari has played slightly unfair with those on 488 waiting list. At least you should be offered to jump on the new wagon with a let’s say reasonable penalty.

Seeing what’s going on I’m feeling happy bunny with my Speciale

ShineKen, F12JAJ and Shadowfax like this.
  25. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    Incorrect, as usual. At Geneva the Ferrari reps stated "a few percent over the 488". We don't need a dealer price list to work out the rest.

Golattus likes this.