F8 Tributo... what happens to the price on 458 and 488 | Page 4 | FerrariChat

F8 Tributo... what happens to the price on 458 and 488

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by John458, Mar 6, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Principissimo

Principissimo Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2015
    Milano
    Full Name:
    Bruno
    458 will not be affected I guess.
    488 will for sure go down in price. This is clear.
    That’s part of the game with exotic cars. If you don’t like the rules you don’t have to play :rolleyes:

2. rmk40

rmk40 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 3, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Rafi
    Too much has been made of this. If you have the iPod connector in your car, buy this and you have Bluetooth.

Bovee 1000 - Wireless Bluetooth Music Interface

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00T2EVKSG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_yokGCb9JPCH3H

Connect after the car is on and it works great. I have a 2013 and bought this a week after picking up the car. Non issue.

tekaefixe likes this.
  3. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Yah but wasn't that Ipod connector like $1200? And what if you have Android or switch phones?

4. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    Bottom line my friend

I returned mine after one week. Irritating you have to go to phone settings and reconnect Bluetooth each time you start the car. I ended up parking a iPod nano in the glove box. Way less hassle.

5. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William

So I have nothing at all against the 458 but sometimes it just kills me to hear all the justifications about why the 458 is the best car Ferrari ever made and the 488 was a big dud and mistake. I guess I shouldn't be fazed because I was told when I had a 2017 Cali T HS that I didn't really own a Ferrari by other Ferrari owners. I had one guy say to me when I got the 488, "now you have a real Ferrari".

I wanted the 488 Spider when I bought my Cali T HS but I didn't want to pay$40-50k over which is what the ones at my dealership were going for. I bought the Cali T HS new from the floor in March 2017 with the promise that I could have an allocation for the 488 Spider. After driving the Cali T HS I decided to hold on to it for a while but when they introduced the Portofino last year I decided to trade before prices dumped. I looked at a Portofino spec for $275k but realized I would have to turn my car in to get the best trade and I wouldn't have a Ferrari while I waited.

That is when I started looking for used 458 Spiders because I didn't want to spend way over list for the 488 Spider and I didn't want to wait 6 months on the build. It turned out I was able to get my 488 Spider for $10k over MSRP and it was a perfect spec for me except the color and I don't mind white cars (all three of our cars are white). This happened as a consequence of looking for the 458 Spider which at the time I couldn't find a spec I liked at a price I thought fair I did find all of that in the 488 Spider which is the car I wanted to begin with. Even if I did end up getting the 458, I wouldn't be saying it's the better car because it has the best sound and feel.

I don't care about sound nearly as much as others, I like speed and I like the quarter mile rush. I spent almost three years at 6speedonline and people went back and forth there about mods and tuners on the SAME car. People can argue about anything regarding cars but to me, performance matters the most. This is why I like the 488, it's a high performing car and it's fantastic looking. In the segment, I think it's the best looking although not the best performing but I will take what it provides as it's a step up from every other car I owned prior. I expect the next Ferrari I buy will be better performing whether it's the F8 or a Pista. For sure, it will be driven and tested for it's performance specs.

6. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    I think you are the only one expecting this to be the case. Most other info gleaned suggests only a 3-5% price difference over the 488.

Why do you think they would make it so expensive to get? This is now a public company and they have to sell units which means making some cars without a buyer and selling them for less than MSRP later in the model year. I don't see how they increase sales and profits without bringing in more people to the mid engine category and to me, this was the best way to do it assuming the car is attainable on an order and price basis to a new buyer or to a current 488 owner. Most new mid engine Ferrari buyers would probably be taking the used 488s instead of starting in the Portofino category.

7. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    Not sure and to your point on paper the 488 should “feel” better. But in reality it’s very subjective. The 488 can get you to speed a hair faster than the 458. The question is how does it feel to you the driver on the way up to that speed? Both great cars and opinions will vary depending on who’s behind the wheel. Best way to tell is to drive both and then decide for yourself.

8. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    Actually I know you can feel the difference in speed. I did when I took my 488 out to test it for quarter mile and 0-150. I could tell the 488 couldn't be doing near or below 3s 0-60 because my 991tts did it in 2.45s and I know what that felt like. I actually did that run so many times in the 991tts that I knew where it slowed down or quit accelerating as quickly. The 488 felt faster to me at the halfway point and when I got to 130mph, I was less far down the road than I would be in the 991tts so I let the car run to 150mph and then braked. Turns out the 60-130 on the 991tts was 7.6s while the 60-130 on the 488 was 7.05s, big difference and I could feel it as much as I could feel the 488 was a lot slower in 0-60.

The 991tts could not get to 150 on that stretch and still have safe braking margin which is also how I could tell the 488 was faster. Lo and behold when I compared the numbers, everything I felt in the drive was correct. The 488 did 0-60 in 3.2s but it trapped the 1/4 at 133.75mph which was nearly 3 miles per hour faster than the 991tts but a full half second slower on ET. The 991tts made the quarter on that road in 10.4s @ 131mph and had a 2.45s 0-60 in doing so while the 488 did the same in 10.9s @ 133.75mph with a 0-60 of 3.2s. I am sure the 458 doesn't feel nearly as fast as either because it is slower.

Feelings are subjective but numbers are not.

MartinRS2K, of2worlds and Gh21631 like this.
  9. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    Exactly my point. Thanks

wrs likes this.
  10. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    For some, all cars’ driving characteristics are indistinguishable unless tested on a track all out. To others, .5 second slower 0-60 is not perceptible.

However, for those with acute sensory perception, everything makes a difference and is easily differentiated.

11. DingDIng

DingDIng Rookie

Jul 16, 2008
    Houston tx
    well, in your case, you shouldn't never have F40, F50, ENZO...... because they all aged

12. scuderia-seat

scuderia-seat Karting

Jan 27, 2018
    USA
    Full Name:
    late apex
    did you use launch control in both cars? which car hooked up more efficiently?

13. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    Yes I did use LC in both cars and the 91tts launches better because of the AWD but once you get past about 700hp in mods, it's not as effective. I was in RACE mode with the 488 and it has been suggested that I would get better results using CT OFF or ESC OFF.

scuderia-seat likes this.
  14. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Those arent cars that you drive regularly. They sit in your garage and are eye candy.

15. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Sound, emotion.
    I found 488 lacking. Enjoy what you bought, dont have to justify it to me.

plastique999, iloveferrari and Avia11 like this.
  16. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    That's right according to the internet, the Cali was developed as a Maserati but when Ferrari got cozy with Maserati they thought they would take the design for their own purposes. However Maserati had the last laugh when they created a very special Maserati for road and track using the Enzo platform.

17. saraojo

saraojo Formula 3

Mar 9, 2015
    Northeast
    458 can get dusted by a $80k mustang but a 488 will also get dusted by a Tesla suv costing $100k light to light. Don't have mine anymore but I would love to see a $120k 458 with under 20k miles though. Then I would get a spider.

18. Avia11

Avia11 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    what mustang? the shelby gt 350 or 500?

19. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    I know I’m late back to this discussion but honestly everyone has an opinion. Personally I like the F8 exterior slightly more then the 488, however I like the 458 design more then either of those. And to my own untrained ear I preferred the overall exaust note of the 458 over the 488. And to me the interiors look similar enough that it’s no difference which one I happen to be sitting in, it’s the exterior appearance that really distinguses these cars. And the gadgets are just that gadgets that distract you, and to this day the only time I’ve ever listened to the radio in a Ferrari was when I rented a 488 spider on a vacation I took my daughter on, because she insisted (and she insisted that the top be down no matter how hot it was as well). I think it’s more about what car ticks what boxes for each individual and there are plenty of people that need to have the latest and greatest. Really I’d be happy with any of them, but 0-60 times and how many g’s you can pull in corners and top speed mean very little to me since I will likely never try to test these numbers but there are folks that will. Even amount of horsepower means less to me since 500hp is really enough for me. I’m sure the new F8 will be as much a joy to drive as any of the modern Ferrari’s I’ve been fortunate enough to rent and drive. I still think the F8 will impact values of both the 458 and the 488 however to what extent is anyone’s guess and a lot will depend on the v-6 variant and how it performs and looks I’d wager though.

of2worlds likes this.
  20. Austex458

Austex458 Karting

May 30, 2018
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Romeo Manzanilla
    I think that there will always be that consumer that has to have the latest and greatest model. Most Apple iPhone users are in that group. Most non-Ferrari owners are hard pressed to tell the difference between a Ferrari 360/355 or a Ferrari 458/488. In the end, it's about the connection that you have with the car and the driving experience. If it checks all of the boxes whether it is a new car or a 50-year-old car, then it's all good. Buy what makes you happy and don't worry what others will say.

[​IMG]

21. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    Ouch.

22. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    Is the upcoming ferrari v6 turbo plus battery or just na v6 plus battery?

23. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    Overall, driving a ferrari in drag racing is something I will never understand. Same thing when I see someone racing a SVJ against a tesla model x.

I won't judge but I just never understand what the point is. It's like flying first class vs economy class. Both are about getting from point a to point b, right?

Of course not. One pays for the experience, comfort and travel and the other just travel. In cars, one is about speed and emotion and the other one is about transportation alone.

Ash Patel likes this.
  24. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Americas Team Headquarters
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I am too old and too smart to have a street drag race with my Ferrari.

Kind of like wearing a Brioni suit when going to eat at Dennys

Some things are just beneath me. (sniff) :p

25. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    Nice rims!

Austex458 likes this.