F8 Tributo... what happens to the price on 458 and 488 | Page 5 | FerrariChat

F8 Tributo... what happens to the price on 458 and 488

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by John458, Mar 6, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    Don’t know for sure yet but if I had to guess from rumors I heard probably a turbo v6. I suppose it’s possible to get the 700 hp from an na v6 +electric but I’d bet it would require more battery’s adding weight.

2. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    Man, the NA 6 cylinder sounds good in porsche gt cars. The turbo v6 sounds like a vacuum, at most! This rumor sucks.

Bas likes this.
  3. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    And that's what I believe Ferrari is pushing the F8 as , as more comfortable Pista. And I agree.

I am of the theory that the F8 initially will impact on the 458 and 488 prices as they trade their cars their cars.

However i stress different trends in different countries. 50% of the F8 buyers in Australia are new to Ferrari so there isn't going to be a big increase in trade ins.

But eventually with the release of the new Baby brother which will be dearer the gap will decrease and the prices will slightly go up or stay level.

But remember all this talk is out the window when the recession hits and HARD. Will happen late 2019 early 2020

At the end of the day one is only concerned about the value of the car when they want to or need to sell. If its a keeper , who gives a rats . Get the car that you enjoy.

4. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    Only reason I guess a turbo v6 is the weight reductions I’ve heard of and the rumored 700+ hp. I think I would be hard to do without a larger array of batteries or a turbocharged v6. Also turbocharged engines are generally more fuel efficient and I think the reason we are seeing the current run of turbocharged engines are so Ferrari meets CAFE standards. I’d assume the next run will meet CAFE benchmarks as well coupling smaller turbocharged engines with electric assist hybrids, but I don’t know anything one way or another it’s all speculation

. But reguardless of if we like it or not the day of the v8 is unfortunatly numbered and will eventually be phased out and we will see more smaller engines coupled with electric motors. Sucks but it’s theynway the world is trending. I count myself lucky to have lived, albeit twards the end, of the v8 engine and al the cool cars I’ve had over the years.

5. PRO SYSTEMS

PRO SYSTEMS Karting

Mar 4, 2017
    Miami, FL
    All Im gonna say is.. if you own a 458 and you sell it.. you will regret it. The 458 is the new air cooled 911 in the market. It’s a proper Ferrari.

6. rmk40

rmk40 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 3, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Rafi
    This is actually the perfect example. All the more modern 911s are objectively better in terms of performance, features, comforts and perhaps even reliability. Yet the prices of air cooled are going crazy.

Dual clutch transmissions are objectively better than manual. Even F1 transmissions were considered better and newer tech. Compare an F1 360 to a manual in terms of pricing.

Desirability is what we are talking about here. Not which is “better”. We’ve been using the wrong word.

nmcclure and Suborbital like this.
  7. Suborbital

Suborbital Karting

Apr 25, 2018
    Fallbrook, Ca
    Couldn’t of said it better, i’m considering buying another Ferrari, but there isn’t a thought in my head about selling the 458.

8. rumen1

rumen1 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 23, 2012
    Bulgaria
    Keeping in mind that the F8 has almost a similar look to the 488 I think that this fact will make some 488 owners deciding to keep their cars instead of ordering a F8. As for the 458 - it has already lost more of its value, it was not the latest model, so now it will start to depreciate much more slower. However, I don't see why in the future the 488 prices will not drop below the 458 ones. We have seen that with the 355 and 360. I personally don't think the 488 is a worse car than the 458 in any way, but obviously some people think that.

9. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    At one point the older car becomes the more expensive, just because it's older and more "collectable" for this. This has not much to do with how the car is perceived.
    The trends in value change with the switch from "used car" to "collection".
    An F430 sells for more than a 360 but a 355 also sells for more than a 360, it just tells that the 360 is at the bottom of the curve. Wait for a few years and it will sell for more than an F430. But probably some day the F430 will also sell for more than a 458.

10. rumen1

rumen1 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 23, 2012
    Bulgaria
    Well, the 355 keeps higher prices than the 360 since many years now and they are both far from being collectable :)

11. John458

John458 Karting

Nov 24, 2014
    Ohio
    I sold mine in 2016 and I regret it. That's why I was asking what people though the price would do before I buy another one.

of2worlds likes this.
  12. rumen1

rumen1 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 23, 2012
    Bulgaria
    Actually at least in Europe the 458 prices have dropped significantly last year. I am selling mine at the moment, but still haven't been able to close a deal. However, I doubt this has anytng to do with the F8.

of2worlds likes this.
  13. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
  14. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    not that my opinion is worth anything but 1) that is one fugly combo with white/nero exterior bits and beige on the inside that I wouldn't pay 150 for and 2) I think I'll have bigger concerns on my mind if 488s are selling under $200k by late spring

15. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    Says the guy that just ordered his...;)

of2worlds, galt and sampelligrino like this.
  16. John458

John458 Karting

Nov 24, 2014
    Ohio
    IMO, I believe all "exotic cars" are depreciating much faster as there are more on the road and many newer exotic cars and models.

Ferrari, Lamborghini, McLaren, Aston Martin, etc.

What is more surprising to me are how many private sellers want for their Ferrari. GLWS

VAF84, IPO1 and sampelligrino like this.
  17. crazedboutcars

crazedboutcars Karting

Dec 14, 2018
    Dubai, U.A.E.
    Full Name:
    Madhav Kanchan
    You don’t need to play the dealer game to get an F8 since it is not a limited series car

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

18. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Of course they will- they made too many for them to be rare.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Yeah but if u buy a Ferrari to be able to stream music...not sure it’s the right thing;)

of2worlds and rumen1 like this.
  20. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

What happens to the 458 , 488 when the F8 comes out ? I’ll tell you I really don’t give a s**t at this point in my life I’m too busy enjoying my 488 spider driving it every chance I get and making memories. If I need to worry about the values I shouldn’t have bought the car in the first place. I’m sure many will agree with me. There, I’ve said it ! Best ,Kirk.

21. F12JAJ

F12JAJ Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2016
    California
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I can stream music on my 458 Speciale through Bluetooth.

John458 likes this.
  22. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    Yep. Same here. If I recall, Kirk, didn’t you run into some major repairs on a 360, took a hit on your 458, and still driving a Ferrari? I guess there are two camps - the garage queens, and the drivers.

Cigarzman likes this.
  23. boobernackle

boobernackle Formula Junior

May 28, 2016
    You mean cherry picked data? That car had an MSRP of $275K, meaning it lost $50K in 3 years. That car doesn't even have a backup camera, no LED wheel either.

Not bad for a horrible spec car that's out of warranty, if it were a Lambo or McLaren, the hit would've been far worse.

24. jjp11

jjp11 Karting

Sep 1, 2013
    This is my belief. The used market is robust with low mileage exotics, and car manufacturers continuously increase production on new cars, year-after-year. At some point, there's going to be just too many cars out there, and not enough buyers. The exotic car market is waaaaaayyy different than it was 10-15 years ago, new and used. I understand the economy is doing well and there's more wealth out there than ever, especially with emerging global markets that weren't in the exotic car game a decade or two ago.. But, I mean, c'mon, now there's a market for $200k+ performance SUVs... That just screams bubble to me. At this rate, can you imagine what will happen to the high-end car market with another recession? Not to mention, the younger generations aren't into cars like they used to be. It's a different culture out there. The only "saving grace" for this issue is we have social media, and all the kids like to show off on it.. So, there will always be people out there looking to flash their wealth and splurge on exotics. The drawback is, there will be fewer owners who are true enthusiasts.

Viperjoe, of2worlds, rumen1 and 2 others like this.
  25. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Basic economics - prices are determined by supply and demand.

Shadowfax likes this.