The New Fiat 500 Abarth (only) Thread | Page 29 | FerrariChat

The New Fiat 500 Abarth (only) Thread

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by dave80gtsi, Apr 29, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
  2. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Sorry to hear that you had to downgrade to a Giulia. I guess you can't have fun forever.

TestShoot and davem like this.
  3. dave80gtsi

dave80gtsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dave Meredith
    Ha!

My admiration for my Abarth remains unabated. It was one of the best cars that I have ever owned, with impeccable reliability, and undeniably fun to drive.

I bought it new in 2013 so to serve as my 4-seasons go-to-work daily driver, and it was perfect for the role (30+ mpg!). But with my retirement a few months ago, I no longer have a daily commute, and I needed to replace it with a 4-door car suitable for a pair of child seats in the back for the grandkids, as well as an automatic tranny so that I would not be the only one in the family that could drive it. After checking the usual German suspects (Audi A4 and BMW 3-series), either one of which I think I would have enjoyed, I ended up with the Giuila. Basically, I (arguably) let my Heart overrule my Head.

First impressions of the Giulia are overwhelmingly positive, and I will so post updates and impressions in the Giulia thread in this forum category. Picture pulled from the dealer's website posted below, as a one-time entry in this Abarth forum.

Thanks - DM

Image Unavailable, Please Login

polishhammer83 and davem like this.
  4. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Looks nice. Grandkids would love you more if it was a Quad :). Never too late...

5. dave80gtsi

dave80gtsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dave Meredith
    Grandkids are already sore at me because I sold the 'Cute Little Lobster Car' ( … so christened as they thought that the Abarth scorpion looked like a lobster).

And, you know, they do have a valid point there!

DM

6. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    #706 ShineKen, Mar 3, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2019
    Image Unavailable, Please Login I purchased my 2013 with only 16k miles about 2 years ago. The previous owner installed a 500 madness Ecu, 500 madness go pedal, full exhaust system, KW V3 coilovers, and Wilwood front big brake kit. He was also a GT3RS owner. I rarely drive the car in Sport mode as it is fast enough in Normal just running daily errands.

Today, I test drove a 2016 model from the Fiat dealership, which had 26k miles. I drove it in sport mode. The car felt significantly slower than my car in normal mode. Suspension didn’t feel as solid, responsive, and fun. It felt “ok”.

In stock form, I realize there’s quite alot left on table and if you think stock is fun, wait till you get a tune! That’s where the REAL fun begins. I don’t even have the best ecu and I think my car is twice as fun than a stock 2016 model. I hear Eurocompulsion has the best ECU, but I am ver content with my current setup. Will consider them for my GF’s car in the future. I honestly do not feel the stock ecu power output is impressive at all.

7. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    EC or open tune are good to flash and drop the piggyback, that's my plan. The 2015 on had a turbo upgrade, or some slight mod, they also had a different exhaust. I posted a link a few pages back about the model year changes.

ShineKen likes this.
  8. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    I can’t seem to find your post. What year is your car? Are you still interested in selling it? If so, pm me details and asking price and I’ll run it by her.

9. 2MS

2MS Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 5, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Mark
    My DD/commuter 2013 Abarth.

Attached Files:

10. Rags747

Rags747 Formula Junior

Sep 23, 2005
    New York
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Image Unavailable, Please Login My 2013 bought new, 33k miles and zero issues so far. Would love to see some updates to the car other than an instrument cluster. Maybe a little larger and some additional power. Believe I read somewhere that Fiat will be going to a 1.3ltr which should have more power. Anyone else read this?

ShineKen likes this.
  11. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Isn’t the current 500 Abarth a 1.4 turbo? Maybe you mean, enlarging to a 1.6?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

TestShoot likes this.
  12. Rags747

Rags747 Formula Junior

Sep 23, 2005
    New York
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Have seen it multiple places, but it’s still confusing if this will be coming to the US or not. Looks like either 177 or 180hp for the 1.3ltr. Plenty of info out there if you DuckDuckGo it. Look at Mechanical in below link
    http://www.fiat500usa.com/2018/11/2019-fiat-500x-full-specifications.html

13. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    A tune along with a few minor upgrades (airbox, intercooler, etc) is really all the car needs.

TestShoot likes this.
  14. Rags747

Rags747 Formula Junior

Sep 23, 2005
    New York
    Full Name:
    Matt
    I would like a little upgraded version, maybe do away with the PlaySchool plastic on the doors, add in a nice stereo system, a little larger and a little more power. The design is really calling out for an update.

15. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    If you have open roads, power, but really the bang for my buck came with the suspension, especially the torsion bar to keep the rear better planted and make me able to stay on the pedal longer. Flat cornering to carry the speed through the turns really kicks butt.

16. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    What tire size are you running?

17. 2MS

2MS Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 5, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Agree with the OP. Bolt on suspension bits really livens the car on the turns. I have done every bolt on part from the engine to suspension on my car and it makes it a very special Abarth for less than $5k in upgrades.

TestShoot likes this.
  18. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    Really like this little car

ShineKen likes this.
  19. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Girlfriend just purchased this car today!

Video by seller:

“2016 Nero Abarth 500 5 spd, fully loaded 2200 miles only.

Neu-F Springs, Mopar rear alignment shims, KYB Corvette rear shocks, 12mm Hubcentric wheel spacers with longer bolts. 4 wheel Alignment. 17x8 Konig Flowformed wheels with Firestone Indy 500 Tires.

V-Maxx 330mm BBK in red with floating disks.

Abarth Aluminum shift knob, Neu-F short shift adapter. Custom A-Pillar speakers ($700).

Euro+Drive Phase 2 w/ Pops and Bangs, Turbosmart Wastegate Actuator, DV+ Diverter Valve, Euro Compulsion 4.1 Intake with CF Sprint Filter, EC Carbon Fiber engine cover, EC FMIC, NGEN Ignition Coils, Oil Catch Can.

Ceramic coated Exhaust Depot CL DP, Ceramic Coated Neu-F mid pipe, Neu-F Rear Muffler.

Beats Audio, Tinted sliding/tilting moon roof, Rear parking assist, Navigation with touchscreen, Heated seats, Red/Black leather seats, Blacked out head and tail lights.”

She’s ESTATIC. Will post driving impressions soon.

TestShoot, greg328 and 2MS like this.
  20. 2MS

2MS Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 5, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Mark

I know this car. It's on the Fiat Boards. The previous owner did a lot work on her with the right mods. Am glad it stayed in the "Ferrari" family. Congrats.

ShineKen likes this.
  21. Streetsurfer

Streetsurfer Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2015
    near Chicago
    Full Name:
    Ron
    You found her a nice clean specimen. Enjoy!

ShineKen likes this.
  22. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Well done. How much did you get it for?

23. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    The guy was extremely anal in his execution...just like me :).

2MS likes this.
  24. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    We paid his asking price. $16k. A steal imo. He’s local too.