CarFax errors | FerrariChat

CarFax errors

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by nota400, Mar 4, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. nota400

nota400 Karting

Nov 21, 2015
    I purchased a Ferrari from an authorized dealer. They advertised the car as "one owner" from new. The CarFax states there were "3 previous owners". The salesperson explained to me "3 previous owners" is the same person. Owner #1 was "a corporate lease" in Florida. Owner #2 "bought out the lease", the same VIN, same title number, Owner #3 moved to Texas, retitled and registered the same VIN in Texas. When I recently purchased a new CarFax report, it now states "4 owner car". Is the "resale value" of the effected by the "2 owner difference" in the report? If so, who is responsible for the information stated in a CarFax report?

2. colombo2cam

colombo2cam Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2019
    Full Name:
    Ted
    Car fax uses State titling information. You should get the registration details and service history showing the lineage etc. The dealer in theory should be able to provide this. Getting it now makes it easier than a few years from now if and when you ever decide to sell it.

3. nota400

nota400 Karting

Nov 21, 2015
    Thank you.

4. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Carfax is a joke. It complies information errounously and can often screw over alot of people and things. You can even buy a car with a clean carfax and then 2 years later an accident will show on the record.

These kinds of services are relied upon as gospel and they are quite quite the opposite.

53ford likes this.
  5. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    True but with a lack or better information its all people have to go by. It's "gospel" because it's the only version... not just carfax specifically, but the system as a whole. Curious does anyone know if any of these reporting agencies offer a guarantee or buy back promise if their info is wrong?

6. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    Looks like carfax has some sort of buy back promise, but I'm sure its pretty hard to pin them down to it.

7. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin

The problem is a dealer can sell a car with a clean carfax... then 2 years later a car accident will get reported from THREE years earlier and then the customer wants to sue the dealer for deception. Meanwhile maybe it was just the bumper was painted but the customer and a ***** attorney calls it an accident and they threaten social media etc... and demand either payment or buy the car back... meanwhile you look at the car and the insdie is trashed they put 36k miles on it and it looks like packrats live inside and the car is on 2 spare tires...

folks... i have seen it all.

Also, a really crappy one I came across. I had a friend who stopped as a witness to an accident. The license plate of the witness car was recorded. Carfax scans accident reports for vins and plates... and it said the car was involved in an accident. Destroyed the value of the R8 he was driving and took an act of congress (kidding) to get it reversed) I had to call the police department and get copies of the accident report and then submit it all to carfax with a letter from an attorney and FINALLY it was reversed. RIDICULOUS.

Ohh another one.

Friend of mine pulling a boat had a wake board fly out and hit a car. He pulls over to take responsibility etc... gets the info, cops come etc... no big deal... well... carfax reported it that the truck had accident damage.

so stupid

8. colombo2cam

colombo2cam Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2019
    Full Name:
    Ted
    Before we learned to rely on technology to do out due diligence for us. The physical car stood on its own. You looked for a car that was properly serviced with all of it's service documentation with the car sometimes even in the form of a folder. The condition of the car was just that. Did it smell like a cigar? Was the engine compartment in order? Had the car had previous paint or body repair? Was it garaged was the owners garage and or property in order? If you were purchasing a car from a dealer do they have a great reputation? If you were buying a specialty car you had it sent out to be looked at by an expert. We were capable of determining the pedigree on our own by the physical facts and not by some computer generated nonsense.

9. ifeelfree0

ifeelfree0 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 26, 2014
    Medina, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dan
    I am on the midst of a legal suit with them and will advise on the outcome, hopefully in the next 4-8 Wks. Been going on since Aug 2017. Can’t divilge any info as you can appreciate

10. xotik

xotik Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2009
    Gulf Coast
    Full Name:
    Chad
    I have a car that shows a mileage discrepancy on the carfax. Apparently someone at the DMV input a mileage number incorrectly many years ago, and the result is a low score and a warning of odometer tampering. It's only off by a few thousand miles. I assure you the car has not been tampered with, but I am sure that will hurt resale if I ever decide to part with it.