How rare is it? | FerrariChat

How rare is it?

Discussion in '308/328' started by dinoart, Mar 7, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dinoart

dinoart Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 30, 2004
    Westminster CA
    Full Name:
    David
  2. djs308

djs308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    David S.
    Cannot verify that production claim. But I do know that there was another 308 similar to this one, out in CT, that had been for sale here on Fchat for a while. That one was a 1984 model. Not sure if or when it sold.

3. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I’ve seen about 4 or 5 QV with Prugna here in SoCal, it’s rare but I don’t think it’s that rare.

Rifledriver likes this.
  4. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    I am no expert, but I do know that Ferrari Corp. has never released information regarding the number of 308s in each color. The sellers claim in unsubstantiated.

Rifledriver likes this.
  5. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    nice looking machine

6. Jbrauer

Jbrauer Karting

Oct 12, 2016
    Pasadena
    Seller needs to post additional photos ;)

7. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    I agree with this. I've never seen any specific color/production # info for this period. If by chance he got that info via classiche, he'd mention it #1 and #2 it wouldn't be on CL

8. bertrand328

bertrand328 Formula 3

Jun 1, 2015
    France
    Full Name:
    Bertrand
    Any Ferrari dealer could not check that ?

Indeed they are MANY comments about how many Giallo, Prugna or any other color was produced. Just look at this auction below with "one of 15 RHD (328 or 328GTS ?) Blu Chiaro with Grey interior". Prior advertising said that car is just "one of 15 Blu Chiaro" UK 328 !
    Where does this comment come from ???

https://www.classiccarauctions.co.uk/1988-ferrari-328-gts

9. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

I can tell you exactly where it comes from, it comes from car salesmen trying to close a deal based on perceived exclusivity. Happens all the time and forever forward the guy who was told that will accept it as gospel truth. Has been happening since the second automobile was sold.

10. dinoart

dinoart Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 30, 2004
    Westminster CA
    Full Name:
    David
    Brian
    You hit it right on the nose! Here's the reply i got last night.

Hi that was a quote from the salesman at Newport Beach Ferrari 1985.. I wasn’t there but my aunt was when she bought it, it’s possible the salesman said only 4 with color and this interior color or 4 imported to US.
    Anyway that was the story from her, I have never been able to find those numbers online though.

Sent from my iPhone

11. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Let's say it rephrased...
    "Prugna" is indeed rare, and 4 cars in 1985 in ""Prugna" for the US market MIGHT be the exact number...
    BUT: as there is no official source from the factory or the importer, it is impossible to substanciate, or cross-check.
    That being said, it's rare indeed, and would be even more so in Europe.
    And that's the closest I can come from the truth and the facts...
    And if the Factory in Maranello knows, which is by no means certain, they wouldn't tell you anyway...
    Rgds

12. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Mazda had a special addition Miata that was nearly the same color, alloy wheels etc. They were pretty popular at the local dealer. I knew the owner and was in their storage warehouse one time and he had several. I asked about them. He told me he'd sell them as a very limited production addition and as soon as it was gone go get another from storage and put in in the showroom.

SOP for car salesmen.

13. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Not so sure. The dealer I was at in 85 had 2 customers with Prugna 85's.

That was one dealer out of how many?

14. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Well, you know the network better than me, Brian. What I can tell you is that "Prugna" cars a VERY rare in Europe...pity, because I happen to like it a lot, especially with "crema" leather. Rarer than hen's teeth...
    Rgds

15. bertrand328

bertrand328 Formula 3

Jun 1, 2015
    France
    Full Name:
    Bertrand

Yes Brian, this is probably the case most of the time. But concerning UK or/and RHD cars for instance, some are documents from the period importer. So I think that kind of data could be "get at able" if …..

16. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    It is a good color. Looked good on Mondials too. It is rare but 4 is a very small number that I find hard to accept.

17. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    We checked sometime ago with Bertrand on the whole 328 production range for Europe. I think we have only two confirmed for the time being. I would find very hard to resist a 328 GTS "Prugna" over "Crema" if one happened to be for sale here..
    Rgds

18. miketuason

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    NoGoSlow likes this.
  19. ragtop1

ragtop1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2006
    Ontario
    Full Name:
    Larry Warren
    There is a Prugna carb GTB up here in the great white north.... Toronto area

20. miketuason

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Currently, there’s also an 81 Prugna for sale at the Beverly Car Club in LA

21. dinoart

dinoart Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 30, 2004
    Westminster CA
    Full Name:
    David
    Here we go again...Very Rare...
    Another ads on CL So Cal 81 GTBi for sale one out of 494. Rosso rubino.

Very Rare opportunity forsale
    1981 ferrari 308 gtbi
    First year for fuel injection on the 2.9 v8
    1 of 494!
    Color is rosso rubino
    Truly a collector's dream
    100 % all original paint and is near perfect
    No rust of any kind
    With only 7900 original miles this is one beautiful ferrari
    All original windows with stamps
    Full service records, all belts,bearings,gaskets, oils ,coolant flush were done withing the last 5 years
    All manuals,books and tools are included with the sale
    Clean carfax and title in hand

Thank you Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Well...my answer would be in two steps:

1. yes a 308 GTBi is rare (494 is indeed the number usually quoted) and yes Rosso Rubino is very rare also.

2. That being said...frankly I find the discussion about "how rare" as for 308s/328s a bit useless; yes there were only 494 GTB"i" built, and 748 "GTB QVs", and 1344 328 GTBs but... that doesn't make one of the 494 GTB"i" half-as-valuable as one of the 272 288GTOs...or twice as valuable as one of the 748 GTB QVs; or four times as valuable as any of the 1344 328GTBs.
    It is condition that should prevail above anything else, and as for the color combo, it has first and foremost to please your eye...we know of some very rare color combos that are, to my eye, really over-thte-top or even frankly "too much". For instance, yellow 328s with red interiors; or overall red cars (body, leather, carpets...). YES these color combos are rare indeed, but they are not pleasing my eye and would be impossible to sell...

Buy the nicest example possible, and one that is pleasing to the eye (How do you like it? or not?). Forget how rare, unless you want a specific color combo: that could be, in some instance, very difficult to find.
    I have a nero metallic 328 GTS, with Gray leather (full leather interior) and black carpets. Gray leather isn't very common. I don't know how many were made, and frankly I don't car. The colors of this car were matched on a subdued principle when it was ordered by its first owner, it is pleasing to the eye, it has the parcel shelf and targa top lining in leather (although I usually put the sarataoga top in the car) and this is the main reasons why I bought it.

Rgds

23. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I liked those in Rosso Rubino but I would be very suspicious of the original paint claim. The whole reason Ferrari switched to Glasurit paint is because of the dissatisfaction and number of warranty claims in that period with the Glidden Salchi paint. It was terrible.

And 1980 was when the FI cars came out. In 1980 no way would the carburetted cars pass US smog.

24. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    For some reason by the time 328 came out Prugna had fallen from favor. I don't know if I have ever seen a Prugna 328. A few Mondials and a TR.

25. miketuason

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Seen one only in pic.