458 Speciale Exhaust Recommendations | FerrariChat

458 Speciale Exhaust Recommendations

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by obbob, Aug 1, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    I've been hunting for an exhaust to put on my Speciale. Wanted to hear what other people's thoughts are on what model to go with. Right now I'm leaning towards Kline since it seems high quality and well priced, but not very widely known.

It's tough hunting for videos since most Speciale exhaust videos appear to be straight piped with no cats. I definitely don't want to straight pipe/decat the car due to the smell and insane decibel levels.

My goal is a slight noise increase, but ideally a pitch increase.

I'm completely new to exhausts on Ferraris; got a few questions that I'm having trouble finding answers to:
    • Is there any sound difference between Inconel and Stainless Steel, or is it purely weight savings?
    • Will a catback exhaust with stock cats meet my goals of higher pitch and louder volume?
    • If I have to have a sport-cat, would that be enough on it's own to improve sound?

2. cayenne_ksa

cayenne_ksa Karting

Feb 7, 2007
    denver, SAUDI
    I have tried Capristo and was happy with it.

3. DoctorWill

DoctorWill Formula Junior

Jun 12, 2010
    Playa Vista
    Full Name:
    Will
    Were you able to get the pops and burbles back on the overruns?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Don’t think that is possible, but perhaps Shiv can tune. Search forums for shiv.

5. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Will, so Shant said high flow cats....

Sent from my 16M

6. daflk

daflk Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2013
    Hong Kong
    Novitec if you want f1

7. DoctorWill

DoctorWill Formula Junior

Jun 12, 2010
    Playa Vista
    Full Name:
    Will
    I think the solution is in the ECU tune, it controls how the valves open and close timings. This guys seems to be legit! www.openflashtablet.com/

Sent from my 16M[/QUOTE]

8. Carlos@TAG

Carlos@TAG Karting

Apr 12, 2017
    You can't go wrong with either! Below are a few videos of the Capristo system. One video is with just the rear section and the other is the Capristo W/ Cat Delete pipes.

Another solid choice is Novitec. They make an absolutely incredible system for the Speciale which is also below!

9. FerrariFab

FerrariFab Karting

Jan 14, 2010
    Inland Empire
    Full Name:
    CFI Designs
    Retune the ECU, depending how aggressive you want it you should run decat pipes. I’ve done all the above and I tuned for e85 readily available here in California.

10. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Bumping this....as my Speciale arrives in days and I’m also looking for high F1 pitch similar to the S line on my 16M. My Speciale is coming with the Capristo exhaust on it but it seems to need a bit higher pitch....so do I decat or add headers?
    Or, possibly switch to IPE full system - headers, decat, exhaust?
    Any owners have experience with either?

Sent from my 16M

11. Fabspeed Motorsport

Sponsor

Feb 5, 2009
    Fort Washington, PA
    Full Name:
    John S
    Check out this 458 has Fabspeed's 200-cell HJS Sport Cats and Sport Headers but factory OEM muffler and outlet tips.

12. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Havent heard one that can replicate 458 italia sound.

13. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    I’ve experimented and researched a few exhausts since I posted this thread.

IPE is the highest pitch of any of the exhausts out there. Significantly higher pitches than Capristo. Personally, I feel it’s a bit too high pitched for me, but IPE is probably the most popular aftermarket exhaust for the Speciale.

From my experience, I find that Novitec and Kline sound the best. Both are higher pitched than Capristo. Novitec is crazy expensive though ($40K+ for the full Inconel system).

Kline is a lesser known player in the Ferrari world, but they are well received in the Porsche community.

Finally, if it matters to you, note that IPE is made in Taiwan. Capristo and Novitec are made in Germany.

plastique999 likes this.
  14. Can'tHave2MuchHP

Dec 4, 2018
    Grosse Pointe, MI
    For me, I'd go with IPE or Novitec.

15. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Just installed full IPE headers, IPE test pipes, IPE exhaust ...: going on Enzo cruise tomorrow and will get some vids. So far, the F1 pitch and sound is phenomenal!!

Sent from my 16M

of2worlds and Melvok like this.
  16. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Here’s a short clip....

Sent from my 16M

17. Tony Baunach

Tony Baunach Karting
    BANNED Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2007
    All around the world
    Novitec sounds awesome... have an almost non used system... since In Germany you really get a problem ;)

18. Riki

Riki Rookie

Feb 21, 2018
    Full Name:
    Ricardo Madrid
    unyone has ECE homologation for legal use on the road?

19. Nel1

Nel1 Karting

Jul 11, 2012
    How was the cruise? What is your impression of the new sound? Any vids?
    I would love to hear more.
    Thx!

20. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward

Sent from my 16M

21. Nel1

Nel1 Karting

Jul 11, 2012
    Amazing! Best sounding Speciale that I have heard. Thanks for sharing the video.
    I am curious about how it sounds inside. Would you mind posting a clip capturing that?
    Also, did you find it too loud or perceived any drone @ lower revs during a long drive?
    Your car is awesome!

plastique999 likes this.
  22. Golattus

Golattus Karting
    BANNED

Dec 15, 2017
    Full Name:
    JN
    Speciale is best sound in Ferrari world except N Largo. Every time I fire her up with valves opened makes me smile.

23. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Thank you Nel for the kind words!
    Interestingly I thought my 16M with S line exhaust had the best F1 sounding exhaust....but I really think the Speciale with IPE is even better - higher pitch and louder.
    In cabin, it really doesn’t sound too loud to me. My 16M sounds louder in cabin only because it is a convertible with less insulation. No drone on relaxed driving. I’ll post clips in cabin when I get a chance.

Sent from my 16M

24. F12KID

F12KID F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 27, 2013
    Novitec Inconel rear box with Capristo high-flow cat and you have the pitch you are looking for - .....otherwise you can take it up another notch further, Novitec Inconel manifolds- brace yourself, crazy crazy price for those!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

of2worlds likes this.
  25. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    Hey all. I ended up getting an inconel exhaust with sport cats (200cel). It sounds excellent, with a really cool pitch and tone. but doesn’t seem much louder than stock. I want to make it a bit louder, so I’m considering adding some inconel headers.

Does anyone know if headers will make things louder? From my research, it will very slightly increase pitch (almost no change), but volume will noticeably increase.

Can anyone confirm or share their experiences with headers?