"A Ferrari Is Just A Car..." | FerrariChat

"A Ferrari Is Just A Car..."

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Golden Steed, Mar 8, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Golden Steed

Golden Steed Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2018
    Full Name:
    Golden Steed
    Had a recent discussion with a... person. Yeah. Let's just say, A Person. And that person, who's gender I will not mention other than to say it wasn't my own, said something during that discussion that warrants this short rant.

This person said, "A Ferrari is just a car."

A Ferrari is a car, that is true. But the use of the qualifier "just" was a demeaning signifier to the item signified. So, to this person who's gender will not be mentioned, I responded with the following...

"Yes. A Ferrari is just a car, in the same way that Margot Robbie is just a woman, The Superbowl is just a game, and the National Anthem is just a song."

Anything can be reduced to it's base functionality. And negative people love to use this tactic against enthusiasts of any interest. But this is why enthusiasts enjoy life more: they see the world and what's in it for more than what simply is.

2. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    For many it is just a car. For others, owning and driving a Ferrari is a dream realized.
    T

020147, DBomb117, Shorn355 and 11 others like this.
  3. Metastable

Metastable Formula Junior

#3 Metastable, Mar 8, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2019
    I guess my barometer would be:

Would you be willing to drive it in winter just after they salted/pebbled the road (yes everyone’s windshield here is cracked not just chipped) and be ok with their vehicle getting blasted by the stuff they put down on the road?

I cringe driving my F150 in hose condition...... if they drive their Ferrari..... to them... it is just a car. :D

BTW - I have talked to dudes that say the same thing..... and they do not understand sport cars and motorcycles. All good.

4. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    The relationship potential with that person is a big null.

G. Pepper and Golden Steed like this.
  5. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    a) I don't even know is who Margot Robbie is
    b) I have not watched the Superbowl for a decade
    c) I have not listened to the National Anthem since Bush invaded Iraq.

It's all a mater of perspective.

6. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    There is something to be said about this. For some, its like a trophy wife. I'm rich and I can afford to have this in my garage and talk about it.

For another group, its a reward for hard work and accomplishment

For still others, its about the passion of the marque and the love of exotic machines.

And for still others, its just what they prefer to drive because they like it. For them, "its just a car" and they will trade it for a McLaren or a Porsche or whatever they like next.

Trying to tie why people by them in one big bow will never work. There's too many reasons why people buy what they buy other than "one reason and one reason only".

A Ferrari is "just a car". Crash it and it's recycled and you get a check from an insurance company to buy another.

Try that with people and pets. It don't work so well.

7. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    For a), that's too bad.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. Formula Uno

Formula Uno F1 Veteran

Oct 8, 2008
    New York City
    What you stated in "C" is pretty disturbing if I am reading it right. Are you saying that you lost respect for your Country because of Bush's invasion of Iraq?

9. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    thank god not everybody wants a ferrari or the prices would be even more ridiculous.

when i have met people like this, i try to find something that they are passionate about - for this gender, lets say purses.
    then i say well a gucci purse is just a purse, same as you can get at walmart. holds your stuff while hanging on your shoulder.

by this time they usually understand. but then again, there are people who are both ignorant AND stupid.
    those people cannot be helped.

10. Golden Steed

Golden Steed Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2018
    Full Name:
    Golden Steed
    Brutal...

AREDSTALLION likes this.
  11. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    I still have no idea who she is, but Yowza! She's beautiful.
    T

Island Time, Jakuzzi and daytona355 like this.
  12. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    "Why does anybody do anything? We're just bugs on a rock in a void." ;) I hope someone gets the reference, but this thread reminded me of it. Maybe that person questioning your Ferrari owns a Lincoln.

FerrariFinally likes this.
  13. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    when i met my wife, she was not into cars. her parents had a variety of hondas.

she said she did not want a fancy car because it was not worth it.......so i bought her a mercedes, then another and another and another..... now she will not drive anything less than a mercedes. then i insisted that she know how to drive all the ferraris in case i was incapacitated.....then she wanted a ferrari.

lesson is that people who say things like the op mentions, just have not experienced a car that is more than an appliance. once they do, they begin to understand.

if they do not, then they are not worth talking to anymore.

14. 2cam

2cam Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2014
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    MikeS
    You're definitely missing out on one of those above and I think that Wade hit the nail on the head. ;) See "The Wolf of Wall Street" for more guidance on that one.

15. Back'n'Black

Back'n'Black Karting

Aug 8, 2017
    Roseville, CA
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Once I heard Ms. Robbie's Aussie accent.....it was over for me. That was the shot through the heart and I was done-for.

AREDSTALLION and Automoblog like this.
  16. willrace

willrace Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    I'll just leave these here............
    Something "special" to remember, when you inquire about a car........or even pics......

Llenroc likes this.
  17. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Those that say such things, in the way the OP told us, are just jealous, small minded people. They like to try to undermine the achievement required to buy such a car, or a boat, or a plane, or a better home, because they themselves aren’t prepared to put in the hard work required to achieve in life.

Nothing wrong with having no ambition, but they really shouldn’t be bitter about their own life choices and try to impose their stunted, ridiculous views on others that have worked hard and managed to reach milestones of any kind.

On a word about the anthem, I’m not American, but I wish I was born there. My chances of immigration to the US, because I’m a normal chap prepared to work and do it legally, and only come if I have something to offer, are therefore pretty small, but I’m working hard to make it happen one day because I recognise that while life has passed me by as far as opportunity is concerned (I’ve done okay, but it’s limited by being in the UK by comparison) I want my daughter to school in the States, and grow up to offer something back to her adopted homeland, achieve good grades, and build a life of promise and opportunity (and maybe look after her daddy when he’s too old and medically incapable to type into fchat). I stand for the US anthem, and I respect all those that fought, were injured, died or were triumphant in the uniform. Choices of a president are orders from the top, the troops do not get to chose the orders they follow, and orders from any president have a higher meaning for them regardless of sections of public opinion. While Bush may have made the invasion of Iraq a focus that some disagree with, that doesn’t make it wrong, and it led, ultimately, to the death of one of the worlds most evil despots.... I’d say that it was worth it if only for that.

When I’m in Vegas, and on Fremont street, the veterans standing and sitting there with a begging bowl out upset me, so I always check their ID (I know there are some fakers out there) and make sure to give the legitimate ones money. Before money is spent on foreign aid, veterans should be made comfortable and safe, only then should others be considered

18. Yellow Compass

Yellow Compass F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 23, 2015
    NYC Area
    Full Name:
    Yellow Compass Supercars
    #18 Yellow Compass, Mar 9, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2019
    Duh this is in reference to children wanting to sit in your car-meaning let them !!! :)

19. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    you are welcome to texas anytime.

Reacherman1022 and daytona355 like this.
  20. willrace

willrace Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    That was the thread, but the sentiment is there.

21. Yellow Compass

Yellow Compass F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 23, 2015
    NYC Area
    Full Name:
    Yellow Compass Supercars
    Hundreds of children have sat in my Ferraris over the last 10 years as long as they’re happy that’s all that matters
    It’s truly my pleasure to see the thrill on their face !! When I let them start the car it’s even better

22. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I'm more blunt.

"A Ferrari is just a car."

"Yeah, if you're dead inside."

RSQP, f430_spider1, stavura and 4 others like this.
  23. Automoblog

Automoblog Karting

Jun 21, 2017
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Gino
    Very convenient way to take words out of context. I'm impressed with your skill :)

24. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    i hope other op gets to America soon because before long country will not exist present form there are many snowflakes around can forget about having another civil war take back country i not think many people say Ferrari just a car stop for petrol anytime people staring asking many questions about Ferrari or Lambo they dont for porsche mercs jags honda etc

Lusso123 and daytona355 like this.
  25. Automoblog

Automoblog Karting

Jun 21, 2017
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Gino
    This is exactly what I'm worried about..