Rare rare Ferrari spyder at Palos Verdes concours a few years ago... | FerrariChat

Rare rare Ferrari spyder at Palos Verdes concours a few years ago...

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by bitzman, Mar 10, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    I remembered this car from a Concours back when the Palos Verdes concours was still held at Trump International in the days before MAGA hats.. I think it was racing windscreen, red, looked like 500 Mondial, had RHD, had a large ivory colored gearshift knob that had roman numerals on it to show the gear pattern. The very tall owner told me that it was some low SN like somewhere between 7th car built and 20th and it was a rebody. It surprised me because old cars from Ferrari's original era, say '49 or '50 , had taller bodies and I didn't think the low body of a mid-'50s body style would fit over it and look right. I was wondering what car it was, what SN and if the owner bought it not even realizing it was that low a SN and thus worth much more? Was it a SN long missing and only a few knew that it had been rebodied? I think these are ultimate barn finds when a Ferrari is rebodied and nobody realizes what treasure lies underneath.

2. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Pic?

Marcel Massini

3. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    Files too disorganized, but will write organizers. I think this show has been moved recently to Torrance airport since Trump wanted to raise the rates for having the show by the auction. The owner and car may be listed in the event program unless it was a late entry. But basically it looked lile Scaglietti bodied 500 Mondial to the untrained eye.

4. readplays

readplays Formula 3

Aug 22, 2008
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Dave Powers
    1. 0012M(008I) fits the narrative but it may not fit your timetable; left the US for CH I believe in the 80s and rebodied to Spyder Corsa in circa 2000.

2. 0050M(0308M) is another candidate.

3. Those aside, my real guess would be 166 Spyder Corsa 0014I.

5. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    I found pictures of two of the ones you mention and one picture of the car it most resembled--a 750 Monza-- is very tiny so I don't know if it will appear bigger here. The 166MM 0012M-49 sees to fit the description of a very early car, and that car was in California (passed through Ed Niles hands) but doesn't look anything like it. I will write the concours committee today.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. readplays

readplays Formula 3

Aug 22, 2008
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Dave Powers
    Your first picture- the bigger picture- is not 0050M(0308M).
    Your picture is of 166MM/53 Oblin Spyder 0300M, an unrelated car.

1. 0012M(008I)
    This is a pic of the body that was made in 1957 for 0012M(008I) per barchetta website
    http://www.barchetta.cc/english/All.Ferraris/Detail/0012M.166MM.htm

2. 0050M(0308M) is pictured here
    http://www.barchetta.cc/english/All.Ferraris/Detail/0050.0328M.166MM.htm
    If you open this link to the barchetta page there are several more pictures
    http://www.barchetta.cc/english/All.Ferraris/Detail/0050.0328M.166MM.htm

3. 0014I
    166 Spyder Corsa 0014I was at Retromobile in 2017. This link gives picture of it, the first car in a gallery series.
    http://www.fauto-graphy.fr/retromobile2017.html

7. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    NürScud, Tenney and of2worlds like this.
  8. readplays

readplays Formula 3

Aug 22, 2008
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Dave Powers
    Great pics. Thank you Mr. Niles!

of2worlds likes this.
  9. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    BANNED Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    Ed: I remember this one. Rode with you to a Mark Dees picnic.. You description of the brakes were that opening the doors to use as air brakes would have been more effective. Later this car was with Bob Smith - he drove it through storms and a gas crisis to the 1979 FCA Annual Meet.

lgs, turbo-joe and readplays like this.