Decisions, decisions... | FerrariChat

Decisions, decisions...

Discussion in '308/328' started by rocket50, Mar 10, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rocket50

rocket50 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 9, 2004
    Nashville
    Full Name:
    Rod
    Hello all,
    Been a long time since I posted here but am finally in a position to consider a 308/328 purchase in the next few months. Not rushing into anything though. My question, or more likely request for informed feedback, is as follows: I am considering 4 cars. Late 70's carburated 308 or 84/85 308 QV or early or late model 328. I have done research but would prefer to hear from those that have owned some or all of the above. Pros and cons of each? Thanks.

2. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    the 1989 Ferrari 328 GTS / GTB "1 1985 308 QV- GTB / GTS "2 respectively are best Ferraris EVER made from a drivers and reliability standpoint { not considering the F40 ) .It represents , in my estimation what the TRUE ROAD GOING DRIVING EXPEREINCE which is FERRARI ive had my 89 328 GTS for 20 years with over 100k miles on the clock. It may not have the HP of most cars of today, but the overall driving experience is second to none , its that simple. The latest iteration of each model are the best of the lineage .

Thank you

Jbrauer, 4re308, Rosey and 2 others like this.
  3. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #3 miketuason, Mar 10, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
    To me, I think the QV is probably the best between all your choices and here’s why,
    1) Carbs 308 are great because of their raw power from the carbs but they are still the two valve engine and has the sodium filled valves.
    2) 328 has more HP compare to the carbs and QV, has four valves, a more reliable, but you don’t have the classic look of the 308 and they cost more.
    3) QVs are more drivers friendly than the carb, has the classic look, four valves like the 328, magnesium wheels, has the antitrust protection, made less than the 328, and has an identical power of the carb and yet cheaper than the 328.

4. furmano

furmano Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    You probably can't go wrong with any of those models. The 308 QV is a great choice, 308 body, QV engine. 328 are nice too. At that point it comes down to which style do you like?

Now, the big question, GTS or GTB? :)

-F

4re308 and rocket50 like this.
  5. rocket50

rocket50 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 9, 2004
    Nashville
    Full Name:
    Rod
    OK. Sounds like the early 308 is already out. No problem there. QV or 328? Pro's and cons of the 86 vs the 89 328? GTS all the way. The GTB is beautiful but i like the ability to open it up and get some sun. The wife would definitely vote for the GTS.

Rosey and blkdiablo33 like this.
  6. furmano

Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    As with every Ferrari model, over time, Ferrari improved them year after year. Little things here and there. So an '89 328 is going to be pretty rock solid.

That said, seems like 308 QV are pretty solid too.

At that point it probably comes down to condition and maintenance records more than large differences between a 308 QV and a 328. If you find a 308 QV in great condition with a solid history of maintenance, and you like it, I know of no reason not to get a 308 QV. Same goes for a 328.

Do you have any specific cars in mind? The right 308 QV (color, condition, records, little things like tools and manuals, correct spare, correct wheels, etc.) might be hard to find.

-F

7. rocket50

rocket50 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 9, 2004
    Nashville
    Full Name:
    Rod
    Love the Black/Tan color combo. Not looking for a concours car. Something in good shape though that has been well maintained so books and records are big. Tools a plus and original wheels a must. This will not be a garage queen so higher mileage, as long as it has been maintained, isn't really a concern either.

8. dinoart

dinoart Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 30, 2004
    Westminster CA
    Full Name:
    David
    Rod
    Here's my black and red 85 QV GTS with 16" HRE wheels. It has 69k miles and it's a great driver. I don't own a 328 so I can't say how it compares to the 328. She's easy to drive and becomes alive over 5000 RPM especially with a Tubi exhaust. My friend who owns a 77 carb GTB drove my QV and he couldn't believe how nice the QV is. I used to own Dinos (dinosaur - you look good going slow!) and I can say the QV is way faster. I like the 308 because of its classic look with interior components carried over from the Dinos and Daytonas. I'm sure someone else will chime in on the 328s. Now I'm glad that you like the GTS since GTBs are very rare for the QVs especially 85 model year (50s made world wide). Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

CK7684, Jbrauer, 4re308 and 3 others like this.
  9. rocket50

rocket50 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 9, 2004
    Nashville
    Full Name:
    Rod
    Gorgeous car David! Not a huge fan of the red but it looks great on your car. Nice wheels too.

10. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    +1.

After 30+ years since new, there is high variability in the condition of the various cars for sale.

Seems like the gap between 308 QV and 328 prices have narrowed considerably these last few years. 3x8 prices are down generally compared to a couple of years ago.

Personally, the 308 interior just does it for me but its a subjective thing: buy what you love.

rocket50 likes this.
  11. Furanku

Furanku Formula Junior

Sep 25, 2009
    As a Euro carb owner, I can't help but pointing out how great the engine sounds. I'm not saying injected cars sound bad, it's just not the same sound at all.

For me, the sodium valve isn't really an issue as after many years reading about it, I do not feel like those have a very high chance of failure (they do have a chance of failure, but not a very high one).

One more thing, I hear European models are much nicer to drive than their American counterparts. Mine being a Euro, I wouldn't really know. What I can say is that it is pretty slow as is, and quite frankly, I wouldn't like it to be any slower than it already is.

In the end, it comes down to what your expectations for the car are. If looks and reliability are your main motivations, then the first posters are probably right. If sound and performance matters, it might be another story. By the way, I read the US spec QV is the one that lost the most in the "Americanization" process, being not only cut short of a few HP, but most notably equipped with safety features that make the car much heavier (but then it could save your life?)

As you very cleverly put it, decisions, decisions... ;-)

12. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    If you're not enamored with the sound of the carbs or the nostalgia of having an old-school Ferrari then the later cars are better (better made, faster, more reliable.) Choose which shape/look you like and buy the best you can afford. The market is quite stable now so you can probably get your money back if you need to-- unless you choose a lemon (get an experienced PPI.) The QV is very obviously a classic while the 328 blurs the lines a little with 90's cars and loses some of the sharper, distinctive lines of the original design.

rocket50 likes this.
  13. nitro

nitro Karting

Dec 9, 2012
    Snowmass/KenCaryl
    I looked at both and fell in love with an '84 gts. As stated by someone earlier, the interior of the 308 is downright cool and was the final decision maker for me. I also prefer the more rounded exterior of the 308, but still I like the look of the 328 with the deep-dish wheels (like the 308). Power? if you are buying these cars for HP 328 vs 308qv you are buying it for the wrong reasons. Reliability between 328/308 qv? Again, not enough of a difference to force a decision either. Buy the best one you can afford either a 308 or 328.

14. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    328 has a vastly superior cooling system, the brakes are better, the A/C and heater is better. I was in the business when both were built, was factory trained on both and in build quality and reliability the 328 eclipsed everything built by the company prior and most built since. When the time came to buy one getting a 308 never entered my mind.

rocket50, JohnnyS and blkdiablo33 like this.
  15. Saabguy

Saabguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 28, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    And totally apropos of nothing, the poster with a female in silhouette, a wine bottle in silhouette, and a 308 in silhouette is also called, Decisions Decisions.

rocket50 and Martin308GTB like this.
  16. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I went through the same thing and decided that the car would find me and I would accept whatever it was, including the color. A mitigating factor for me was living in California and the need to be compliant with emissions laws. By 1979 the carbureted version was strangled and while the 2 valve injected model is noted for being the least powerful it would have been even worse if they had stuck with carbs for 1980. In fact virtually nobody was still using carburetors at that point. So my only good option for a carbureted version would have been an emissions exempt '75 GT4 and I considered it but knew I'd forever be looking at GTS's thinking that was the car I really wanted. In the end it was an '83 QV that "found" me and we've been happy together ever since.

The bottom line is that you probably need to be open to version and color, find the best deal/condition and accept it. The differences across the whole range are not enormous, you can find satisfaction with any of them and like most of us will probably become endeared to certain aspects leading to your belief that you have the best of the lot.

rocket50 likes this.
  17. millsj

millsj Karting

Oct 17, 2011
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Joe
    '86 GTB owner here, so I can't speak for the 308.

Others can probably expand more, but seems as though the only difference between the '86-'88 328's and the '89 is the concave vs. convex rims and ABS for the '89. I bought the car that best fit my needs, but the '89 is the more desirable car. That being said, the non-ABS cars obviously don't have ABS, but that is one less 30 year old system to maintain. ABS vs. non-ABS was a non-factor for me.

You can't really go wrong with any year 328. As someone mentioned, if you go that direction, it will probably come down to the cars that are available that fit the budget and meet your condition expectations.

rocket50, Rifledriver and blkdiablo33 like this.
  18. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Would agree that the 328 is a better build quality but remember being totally let down with the interior and rounded bumpers when I first viewed it in an issue of road and track magazine,Funny how memories like that stick with you 25 years later. Love the 328 now but it was an 85 Euro QV that got the nod.

WJC and rocket50 like this.
  19. 308gts79

308gts79 Formula Junior

Mar 20, 2007
    San Francisco/Hong K
    #19 308gts79, Mar 11, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
    Agreed with all comments. It boils down to what is the important One thing you love the most about them. I've owned a 79 308 GTS for 20 years, it's the open-top, 89 328 GTB for 10 years, final evolution, rare coupe, recently acquired a 1976 308 GTB, 1st year, Pre-Cat. Yes, I still have all 3 because each offers unique experience. You really have to ask yourself what's that ONE important thing for YOU.

20. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    is it worth to pay more for an 89 for the abs?

21. JohnnyS

JohnnyS F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 19, 2006
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    John
    I wouldn't think so unless you plan on driving in the snow. I have an 87 328 and love it. Easy for a mechanically skilled person to work on for brakes, belts, AC, etc...

rocket50 and blkdiablo33 like this.
  22. lm2504me

lm2504me Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Richard
    I went through a 76 308GTB, 79 308 GTS, 83 308 GTS , and now own a 78 308 GTS. I love the sound and ride of my carb 308. It is my final Ferrari.
    I do all my own maintenance and found it easy to work on the carb vs fuel injection.
    To each their own.

Buy the best you can get based on your budget. Records are a must. PPI should be done, prior to purchase.
    A lot of good info provided.
    Good luck and enjoy!

rocket50 likes this.
  23. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Of course :)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Rosey, rocket50 and Crowndog like this.
  24. furmano

Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    I would look for 308 QV and all years of the 328 and see what comes up. That will help you decide.

If you like the looks of the 328, go with a 328. As Brian said, there are advances that are more than skin deep.

-F

rocket50 likes this.
  25. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Up to the individual. It is a pretty early ABS and I know a lot of us thought it was too sensitive. I vividly remember regularly triggering the system just driving them on the dealer lot. I bought one without it.

blkdiablo33 likes this.