The 15 New Models by 2022 - What We Know | Page 11 | FerrariChat

The 15 New Models by 2022 - What We Know

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Forza Scuderia, Feb 20, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Dino Dino Dino ! LOL

paulchua likes this.
  2. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    manya81 likes this.
  3. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    It was a 'cheap' Faux-Ferrari that ended up being the real deal. I think that might have something to do with it. You remember there was a time it was looked down on....V6, Dino 'badge', cheap interior, blah...blah...

Inflation adjusted, it would be like Ferrari offering again a car for $75,000

4. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I drove a FIAT back in those days, but the Dino was my semi-affordable dream car. I remember when $20K could get you a perfect one on the used market. Not any more! :)

paulchua likes this.
  5. Forza Scuderia

Forza Scuderia Formula Junior

Jan 13, 2015
    I love the romance of the idea guys but we all know it's not going to happen right? We won't even get a mid-engine car from Ferrari for $195k. Ever.

Here's why...three reasons...

1. Ferrari is now a public multi-billion market cap company positioned as an ultra luxury brand.
    2. They have institutional, hedge fund and activist shareholders who are hammering them to get their profit margins significantly higher than they are even now.
    3. They are substantially constrained in terms of both their current physical production plant AND expanding their footprint as they are hemmed in and surrounded by residential areas.

You are getting a Ferrari for the masses though. Except it's going to sticker for $275k base price and its code name is Purosangue ;-)

6. Forza Scuderia

Jan 13, 2015
    Where do I start?...

1. I love how they have the horsepower completely dialed in already ... exactly 13 hp more than the F8 Tributo! lol

2. There will be no ... I repeat no V-6 launched this year.

3. This will not be one of the 4 more models coming this year.

4. When it comes ... it will NOT be called Dino unless there is an accompanying Icona V-6.
    The regular production V-6 will NOT be called Dino.

5. This car will be launched in 2021 and not sooner.

6. This car will be the product line-up replacement ( albeit with 2 less cylinder count ) for the 488

7. This car will have a base price of $325k before options and will have 750 hp minimum.

So yeah ... the only part they got right was 'Ferrari V-6 hybrid'

And ... as if on cue ... Dino! ... Dino! ... Dino!

I understand that moniker is click-bait. For the life of me I can't understand why.

They just can't help themselves can they.

jpalmito likes this.
  7. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    ok so im gonna stop shopping at whole foods to save money so I can get my V6 Dino Dino Dino in 2022. And by the way if they don't call it a Dino and it has ques of any Dino its a Dino. Thx

8. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I never said there was going to be a new Dino. Once we figured out that the V8 turbos would be replaced with V6 turbo/hybrids, that idea seemed unlikely.

Also, I don't see much for the shareholders to be unhappy about:

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    If the new models are a hit, things should only get better.

Plus, they have plenty of land and ARE expanding, into a new facility right next to the Fiorano test track.

paulchua likes this.
  9. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    The motor1 articles have so much wrong in them. It’s gotta be hard to get that much wrong in such a short story.

Ferrari 308 GTB likes this.
  10. Forza Scuderia

Jan 13, 2015
    Yes but to the best of my knowledge the new facility right next to Fiorano is not a car factory.
    If this is incorrect you can let us know. Also if you have deep domain knowledge about which surrounding parcels Ferrari owns and has pegged to add series production that would be helpful as well. Presumably they are going to have to increase production facilities somewhere for the Purosangue. What I really can't see them doing is expending massive amounts of capital and using precious nearby land to add enough capacity to move their overall profit needle by cranking out cheap mid-engine V-6 Dino! Dino! Dinos! like gnocchi.

11. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I just Google questions I have, you should try it. :)

DGPF likes this.
  12. Forza Scuderia

Jan 13, 2015
    Not everything worth knowing is on Google. Hence why you are also reading posts and posting on here.

Forza Ferrari Chat!

13. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    jkddad, G. Pepper and red passion like this.
  14. red passion

red passion Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2012
    Hockenheim, Germany
    That's quite some news!

15. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Well, you can find out things like Ferrari has enough manufacturing capacity for the time being
    I hope this means a continuation of the front engine GT's like the 812, but I also hope it also means that the previously mentioned, "elegant GT 2+2" will be available with a V12 as well.

16. Forza Scuderia

Jan 13, 2015
    Very interesting take ... it makes sense that if 60% of their engines will be hybrid, then the other
    40% non-hybrid would be the V-12s.

Hopefully they can extend the unassisted V-12 for another model generation but ultimately there are two enormous headwinds against keeping non-hybrid V-12s indefinitely... one obvious and one not so obvious...

1. The obvious ... city centers soon banning ICE is a thing. When that reaches a half dozen key cities, hybridization of ALL cars is inevitable. Wealthy buyers love to flash their rides in city centers and hybridization will unequivocally become a prerequisite for this reason alone.

2. The not so obvious... how long can you market 12-cylinder cars that have far less power and performance than hybrid V-8s?! Clearly this is rhetorical. With the rapidly approaching F173 hybrid V-8 producing a lick under 1,000 hp ... how long can the once firstborn status V-12 suffer stepchild status in the horsepower arms race?

3. Oh? Turbocharge the V-12 to keep its power up there with the hybrids in the 1,000 hp club?
    No. Listen to an Aston Martin DBS Superleggera compared to an 812. Before Ferrari gives up its 'killer app' engine music they will go hybrid on the V-12s. They will not muffle their song with turbos. Again from a marketing and competitive landscape perspective, hybridization is inevitable even for the V-12s.

G. Pepper likes this.
  17. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    One Ferrari engineer has already said a turbo V12 would be crazy, or words to that effect.

Many people live their entire lives without driving to or in a city center, so I don't think that's a big problem.

18. Forza Scuderia

Jan 13, 2015
    Clearly you have never been to London lol.

19. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Ferrari have already said long ago that they will and prefer to have battery hybrid on future V12’s and not turbo.

arizonaitalian likes this.
  20. Forza Scuderia

Jan 13, 2015
    Exactly. The only question is how long they can put that transition off. Best

21. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Well, you are wrong! I most certainly have been to London, way back in 1983. Zero interest in returning. Once was enough. Though to be fair, I feel the same way about Paris.

DGPF likes this.
  22. Forza Scuderia

Jan 13, 2015
    Ok spend one hour in London starting from today not 1983 and you can tell me if Ferrari or any premium car company will be able to market ANY non-hybrid regular production model when ICEs are banned there.

23. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I don't care! If they're crazy enough to ban ICE's, they deserve any inconvenience they get. Who would want to drive a Ferrari in London (Or Paris) anyway? If this is a never-ending trend, all cars will be banned in European city centers, so why should Ferrari even bother? I live a day's drive from remote areas where I don't see a car for miles and miles. That's what Ferraris are for, not being a poseur in a city center.

24. Forza Scuderia

Jan 13, 2015
    I'm with you but wealth is concentrated in city centers. And London unlike New York is a remarkably amenable place to drive a Ferrari. Not as good as back country roads but still surprisingly fun for an urban area.

G. Pepper likes this.