Ferrari 355 battery | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Ferrari 355 battery

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Francesco355, Nov 3, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    You should look for heat shields
    If the previous owner was serious they would onstall these.
    Keeps the alternator temps down
    Also theres one for the ac unit
    I th8nk they are only a few hundred bucks

2. Steve733

Steve733 Rookie

Nov 20, 2018
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Stevo
    Well good news and bad news. He did install the heat shields but he also disconnected power from the cigarette lighter and routed it to an auxiliary USB port. I guess I could still get the voltage reading from that but I'm not sure how to without taking the panel off and just using a voltmeter.

3. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Do you know where your rear battery terminal board (box) is in the engine bay? i.e. under the right hand side cover. The terminal board is marked with a red "+". You'll need a 3.5mm (?) allen key, if I remember correctly. If you don't have any tools other than a voltmeter, you could pull out one of the fuses in your luggage compartment and check the battery voltage going to one of those (e.g. Fuse 1, 2, 3 or 5). i.e. headlight motor and hazard light fuses.

Straight volts, however, is not going to tell you everything you need to know about your battery. Real battery testers are a little more expensive.

4. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Actually, you may not even have to pull the fuse. Many fuses have small holes in the top of them into which you can insert a voltmeter probe. Just find a local earth to complete the voltmeter circuit. There is a big earth forward of the luggage compartment relay panel.

5. Steve733

Steve733 Rookie

Nov 20, 2018
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Stevo
    Checked the voltage through the fuse and everything seems fine. It increases when revs go up but not more than is in the normal range so the alternator is working fine as well. Also drove the car for about an hour today and everything performed perfectly .I must say, what a truly awesome experience. The sound that that engine produces is just marvelous.

Qavion and f355spider like this.
  6. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Just re connect the cig lighter should be no big deal, could just be a fuse because I. Do not know why they would disconnect when they could just tie in in parallel. Either way should be an easy reconnect.

7. Toddston

Toddston Karting

Nov 29, 2006
    New York, NY
    Any big difference between the Group 34R and the Group 34 battery?
    Many thanks.

8. Extreme1

Extreme1 Formula 3

Jun 27, 2017
    Santa Clarita, CA
    If they are by the same manufacturer, the only difference is the reversed terminals. My F430 requires the 34R, so the battery cables are on the correct sides.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

f355spider likes this.
  9. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    No difference other than the reversed terminals. Unique to the F355 only, the factory battery cables are long enough that a regular Group 34 battery can be fitted. Due to the difficulty of reaching the battery, and AGM type may be preferred, since they do not require fluid checks. (avoid Optima red top, I've had two leak, and others have reported early failures)

10. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
  11. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Which maintenance is different? You don't have to add water is the biggest difference. While a battery tender with and AGM setting is preferred, most manufacturers state a standard microprocessor battery tender is fine.

From the Optima AGM battery website: "However, under normal vehicle-starting applications, most regular automatic lead-acid battery chargers will properly charge an OPTIMA battery."
    I also own an electronic digital battery load tester and it states in the instructions it works fine with AGM batteries as well as flooded cell batteries.

12. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Good to know. From that link, I can only assume that all load testers are not created equal. As I said, there is a lot of conflicting information out there. You can only rely on what the manufacturer says about its products.

You have to assume people may not all have compatible chargers, testers, etc.

By the way, I have a fellow FChatter in PM telling me that the alternators on the F355 undercharge AGM batteries (slightly) leading to a shorter battery life. Since most Ferrari owners seem to have smart trickle chargers (CTEK, etc), this shouldn't be an issue.

kuwait355 and f355spider like this.
  13. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    I had one for over four years in mine (Odyssey) worked fine, sold it with it still with the car. I had an on board battery tender on my 355, but rarely used it. I forget the charging voltages on my 355, but never had an issue. I believe the bigger concern with AGM is their claimed sensitivity to overcharging. So slight undercharging (if true with the 355) should not be a problem

Qavion likes this.