New sportcoupe Maserati (2020) - Not Alfieri | FerrariChat

New sportcoupe Maserati (2020) - Not Alfieri

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Sr.Pininfarina, Mar 11, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Sr.Pininfarina

Sr.Pininfarina Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2006
    https://media.maserati.com/en-gb/releases/1464

11 Feb 2019

The future of the Modena plant: Maserati meets with public authorities and unions

Modena, 11 February 2019 – Today, at its offices in Via Ciro Menotti, Modena, Harald J. Wester, CEO of Maserati S.p.A., met with Palma Costi, Emilia-Romagna Regional Government Councillor for Productive Activities, and the Mayor of Modena, Gian Carlo Muzzarelli. Meetings were also held with union representatives during the afternoon.

The meetings re-affirmed the strategic mission of the plant, as already highlighted in FCA’s Industrial Plan presented in 2018 and currently under revision. It will be dedicated to the manufacturing of special high performance, high technology sports cars, in line with the tradition and values of the Brand, which has been present in Modena since 1939.

This will exploit the know-how and experience of the team involved in the production of Maserati cars, which requires special capabilities and a very particular fabrication cycle: a wholesome synergy of craftsmanship and innovation, unscrupulous attention to detail and the applications of the highest quality standards, resulting in the manufacturing of unique, exclusive products which represent the very best of the “Made in Italy” brand worldwide.

The plan is to upgrade and renew the current production lines starting this Autumn. The first pre-series production cars of a totally new model, a characteristically Maserati sports car, will roll off these lines starting in the first half of next year.

The CEO has thus confirmed the key role of the Via Ciro Menotti plant in Maserati's 2018 - 2022 industrial planning; he has assured continuing production and the plan which foresees the renewal and upgrading of the production lines in preparation for the arrival of new models.

2. boralogist

boralogist Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2005
    My understanding is that we ARE talking about the Alfieri:

https://www.motor1.com/news/308401/maserati-alfieri-2020-geneva-show/

Thoughts?

3. boralogist

boralogist Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2005
  4. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    It’s been so long I forgot about the Alfieri. Beautiful car but they need to get their act together and start making it.

71Satisfaction and MK1044 like this.
  5. TBigs

TBigs Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2010
    NW Ohio
    Full Name:
    Terry
    Now that's funny!

Agreed. Pininfarina's GranTurismo design is a tough act to follow, but whoever penned the Alfieri hit it out of the park. Very muscular and menacing yet still elegant and special. And those numbers! They need to get it on the road asap. Think of all the Levantes and Ghiblis it will sell! ;)

6. Froggie

Froggie Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2017
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Serge
    Words, words...
    Delays, delays...

red27, wbaeumer and redcaruser like this.
  7. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    I sure hope they still offer a gas motor hybrid option still. They said they would at the presentation. An all electric 2 door sportscar they can keep no matter how pretty it is.

Save the world, buy a gas hybrid not an all electric car :)

wbaeumer likes this.
  8. wda24729

wda24729 Formula 3

Sep 22, 2014
    Devon, UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    I'll be watching this with interest as Im in a dilemma about what to do about my Strad at the moment. Maybe hang on a while longer.

9. WJGESQ

WJGESQ Formula 3

Dec 30, 2004

Nah-they wanted to make a hideous SUVs instead.

thecarnut likes this.
  10. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    To their defense the SUV means more $$$

11. Sr.Pininfarina

Sr.Pininfarina Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2006
    Alfieri has the image very used at this moment ...

It could happen that the Alfieri took another name, although we spoke of the same car, the substitute of the Gran Turismo...

12. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Regarding the question of "is this a second sporting car, in addition to the GT? Is it the long-promised Alfieri?":

I've never for one moment thought that Maserati would produce both a car based on the Alfieri show car AND another car that was the "replacement for the GT". It was always going to be one car in my mind. Despite what anyone said or read, I just looked at their resources and concluded there would be one car...eventually.

After-all, they couldn't afford to replace the GT for longer than any car platform I can recall. And the sales volumes of GT and/or Alfieri are relatively peanuts. So, it was easy to guess that they would not have the resources to introduce two models in the GT/Sports segments.

We should consider it a "win" to simply get 1 new car in the GT/Sports category from the SUV/Sedan maker known as Maserati.

Seems like we have been promised a car on a date before...but hopefully this time it ends up being true...

(don't rule in or out any name for the car until its released officially...they could well call it the GT or Alfieri or something else)

13. Foncool

Foncool Formula Junior

Oct 27, 2011
    Here’s one for everyone, no matter what is produced strong rumor has it that Maserati will break all ties with Ferrari on the supply of engines.

14. Merak1974

Merak1974 Formula 3

Aug 31, 2009
    Oslo, Norway
    Full Name:
    Gabriel R.G. Benito
    That could obviously be a consequence of a Maserati sell-off, and/or of a FCA M&A.

15. Merak1974

Merak1974 Formula 3

Aug 31, 2009
    Oslo, Norway
    Full Name:
    Gabriel R.G. Benito
    Getting engines supplied by another source than Ferrari is not necessarily a bad for Maserati though, at least in the long run. While having engines supplied by Ferrari has most likely helped Maserati in the market place, especially in countries like the USA, their dependence on Ferrari also seems to have curbed their product development opportunities.

16. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Ferrari also greatly benefited by being a supplier to Maserati for engines with a somewhat different purpose but common core design. They came out of the dark ages of mechanical valve lash adjustment, ditched cam belts with that move and also had a way to spread engine production/development across a much larger number of vehicles.

I wonder about the wisdom of all of this. Maserati now seems rudderless WO a good course to follow. Where does the rest of their tech capability come from if they sever with Ferrari?

Will Alfa and Maserati share?

17. TBigs

TBigs Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2010
    NW Ohio
    Full Name:
    Terry
    Is Maserati in any position to produce their own engines?

I don't see the advantage in using another manufacturer, for either F or M.....unless they plan to go all electric!

18. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I don't beleive they have had any of their own production facilities since early 2000's. I do think they had some of their own engineers, one of the a former Ferrari employee.
    I don't get it?

Maybe the Chinese will end up with Maserati?

19. TBigs

TBigs Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2010
    NW Ohio
    Full Name:
    Terry
    Oy! Let's just say that I have owned several IBM ThinkPads but never did buy a Lenovo.

20. MacGeek

MacGeek Formula Junior

Oct 4, 2007
    Torino, Italy
    This is not Alfieri. Engine will be supplied by FCA (Termoli plant). As for the engineers, there's a dedicated group in Modena working on both Maserati and Alfa Romeo.

F1tommy likes this.
  21. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    It does say sportscar. Is this smaller like a Maserati version of the 4C??

22. MacGeek

MacGeek Formula Junior

Oct 4, 2007
    Torino, Italy
    Well, yes and no. It's not derived from the 4C, but it is mid-engined and it has a carbon tub.

23. Merak1974

Merak1974 Formula 3

Aug 31, 2009
    Oslo, Norway
    Full Name:
    Gabriel R.G. Benito
    But with a V6?

24. MacGeek

MacGeek Formula Junior

Oct 4, 2007
    Torino, Italy
  25. Merak1974