14inch wheels v 16inch on an early 308. | Page 10 | FerrariChat

14inch wheels v 16inch on an early 308.

Discussion in '308/328' started by dudlow, Dec 24, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Longstone Tyres

Longstone Tyres Formula 3
    Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
    #226 Longstone Tyres, Feb 21, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
    Can i ask where you are buying that from. Our current price is $ 297.70 and that will include shipping to your door https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/michelin-classic-tyres/xwx/205-70vr14-michelin-xwx.html . (Blimey what happened to our pathetic Stirling its cheaper than wall paper. I remeber buying a contaiiner full of tyres from the States some years ago and i got nearly $2 to one £1 GBP)

On the 16" front. the first deliveries of the New Pirelli Cinturato P7 205/55R16 & 225/50R16 P7 should be with us next week. We don't list them on the Dino page but they will be on here https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/pirelli-collezione/cinturato-p7.html when they are available. and there will be loads in the States too soon.

Thomas Magnum likes this.
  2. Ferraritalian

Ferraritalian Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2019
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Steve
    That could be it. Thanks, guys!

3. DavidDriver

DavidDriver F1 Rookie

May 9, 2006
    Grass Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    David Driver
  4. Longstone Tyres

Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
    I am undecided as to weather i want to mention the 16" Pirelli tyres on the Dino Pages, because i principally don't like the idea of selling the for a Dino. As i am against fitting something like this to a Dino. However as a counter argument fitting a '70s low profile tyre will handle better on a Dino than a modern one, and i am after all in business, so maybe i need to reconsider my position about what i add to the Dino page.

however in the mean time you can just buy them off this 911 page https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/classic-car-tyres/porsche/911.html#page=1

5. dinoart

dinoart Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 30, 2004
    Westminster CA
    Full Name:
    David
    I found a boxer wheel belongs to Thomas Shaughnessy that has similar style stencil outside and inside casting. It's possible that the 16" QV and the boxer wheels were made around the same era from the same company?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. dflett

dflett Formula 3

Jun 24, 2005
    NY
    Full Name:
    David
    dinoart likes this.
  7. Longstone Tyres

Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
    2281GT likes this.
  8. dinonz308

dinonz308 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 26, 2017
    Full Name:
    Dean
  9. Longstone Tyres

Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
    Dunno, but if you do find some i want some too

10. wildcat326

wildcat326 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 10, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Justin
    My car came with original 14" rims, and - as a purely aesthetic consideration - I sourced a set of OEM 16"s soon after. It feels and seems to handle substantially better. Can't say how much of that is attributable to the new tires that went along with the new rims, but it felt like a substantial improvement.

11. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    The 8J x 16 in the top picture with stenciled size is NOT a later QV 16” wheel. These are earlier 16” wheels. The QV wheels have the raised metal script. But the boxer wheels are very likely the same manufacturer as the early 308 wheel in the top pic. Technomagnesio from what those who know more than I have said here and elsewhere and based on the logo.

12. Longstone Tyres

Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
    I think their are differences in what people consider as handling

handling is about light, fast, precise steering with a progressive breakaway which is what you get from thinner tyres, where as great road holding comes from the fatter tyres. It might seem a bit odd but a 205/70VR14 will have a thinner foot print than a 205/55R16.

So i always thought it interesting that the 308s https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/classic-car-tyres/ferrari/308.html went from 205/70R14 to 220/55R390 but then when they moved onto the 16" wheels with the 328 https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/classic-car-tyres/ferrari/328.html they went back to the thinner 205 on the front which i can only imagine was to make them turn in quicker as would happen with a thinner front tyre.

However it is worth also mentioning that comfort is sacrificed when going from 14" wheels to 16".

13. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    spent a day Yesterday at Pirelli test track in Vizzola Ticino, Italy. We participaded with our cars to a Pirelli video making about classic Pirelli tires lineup (it will be shown at @@@@@ @'@@@@ this year), with more or less twenty classic cars of different ages and brands. We talked a lot with the Pirelli Classic tires dept boss, and he explained us how they choose the correct tire compound for classic cars, and why we should avoid to put on our 40 years old car a tire that is designed for present day cars (expecially if it's a street legal race tire or something like that). A wonderful day.

ciao
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Thank you, Alberto. Did they say anything interesting about the CN-36?

15. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    It was not a press conference: it was just a filming event about Pirelli classic tires. So the Pirelli test drivers, the engineers and the boss talked a bit with each of us (or small groups of us) during the filming sessions pauses. I had no interest about the CN36 so I talked with them just about P7 and Pzero. What they told me in general was this: there are some cars (eg. classic Porsche 911) that can become very hard to control with todays tires so they have to find the best balance between the old compound and the modern compounds, to have a good aderence without modifying too much the original car handling and safety. And that it's not easy. All the cars on the track were fitted with brand new Pirelli classic tires (CN36 for many of them)

ciao

Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. Longstone Tyres

Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
    Albert-LP likes this.