360 - 2000 360 with 1000 miles | FerrariChat

360 2000 360 with 1000 miles

Discussion in '360/430' started by smggms, Mar 14, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. smggms

smggms Formula Junior

Apr 29, 2018
    Full Name:
    Matt Godwin
    I’m looking at this car clutch 85% left belts gone 2 years ago
    When else these car need ,, if I understood correctly from reading here all updates happen to after 2002..
    It’s still 19yrs old car , will it need new shocks , ball joint , engine mount etc.. clutch mount sensor ,,update Ecu etc..

Are these this ones famously caught fire?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

wait, a 1000 mile 360?

3. smggms

smggms Formula Junior

Apr 29, 2018
    Full Name:
    Matt Godwin
  4. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    85% clutch life left after 1680 miles?? Seems a lot for such low mileage

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

5. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    First off, they don't "famously" catch on fire. Rear/mid engine vehicles are naturally more susceptible to fires as all the exhaust, cats, etc. Are all crammed into a small space that holds a LOT of heat. Second, a car with that low of mileage will almost certainly need a good amount of work since it has been sitting (rotting) for most of its life. Third, if be concerned about the relatively low clutch life for the miles. On top of that, it's going to carry a heavy premium due to the miles. It sounds like you want a driver. That's an investment or museum piece

6. smggms

smggms Formula Junior

Apr 29, 2018
    Full Name:
    Matt Godwin
    That’s what I’m thinking what is the good amount of working ? since it’s really low mileage how much it cost to make it daily weekend drive

7. APA#1

APA#1 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Central Florida
    I can think of 10K right off the bat you might spend, IMHO. Don't want it myself, but curious, what are they asking?

8. smggms

smggms Formula Junior

Apr 29, 2018
    Full Name:
    Matt Godwin
    I was thinking that too 10k in case ,,
    They are asking 86k so 10k more Incase that’s 96 would it be better to get 430 with low mileage ?

9. APA#1

APA#1 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Central Florida
    Thanks. In the end it all comes down to what you like and can afford, both are good cars overall. If you buy that 360 for 86K and put 10K miles on it, might be better to just buy one with 10-12K, same experience, just less money.

10. smggms

smggms Formula Junior

Apr 29, 2018
    Full Name:
    Matt Godwin
    Thanks , what fair price they are running now ones with 10 to 15k miles

11. APA#1

APA#1 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Central Florida
    You can do searches on BAT, ebay, AT etc. otherwise a WAG

12. smggms

smggms Formula Junior

Apr 29, 2018
    Full Name:
    Matt Godwin
  13. APA#1

APA#1 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Central Florida
    Wild A#$ Guess

14. shad99

shad99 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2013
    Japatul Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Unless you know just a skosh about the subject, the it's a SWAG - Scientific Wild A#$ Guess.

15. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Clutch wear sound VERY high for under 2,000 miles!
    My car had 12,000 miles when I sold it and it had about 13% wear. When I bought it with 3,000 miles, it had about 3% wear. In other words, I was doing about 1% per 1,000 miles. My car was definitely on the lower end (always driven properly, never rode the clutch and very little reverse), and mine was a 2004 with a better TCU, but that car you are looking at still seems excessive.

16. Alpintourer

Alpintourer F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 20, 2013
    The Low Country
    Full Name:
    Dave Steven
    I remember Bill Pollard (Sport Auto) a now retired Ferrari mechanic from the post-Chinetti era told me about an extremely low mile 308 he had in his shop once. It leaked everywhere when it was put back on the road by its new owner. He literally had to take the car apart and replace all the seals, hoses and anything rubber. Stuff shrunk, got brittle, cracked and failed. It was a $15K bill to fix everything and that was back in 1990.

17. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Call me pessimistic, but I would look at $10k as a starting point. I've seen people buy gated cars an immediately put $20-30k in them to get them drivable....unless you are planning on DIY, which I normally promote, but with that particular car, it would be murder on it's value. You are looking at a F1 360, which is by no means rare. $86k is a premium. You can find them with 20k miles (still "low") for $20k less. If you want a driver, I would definitely keep looking. I really think this car is a museum piece. Do what you want, but you want to drive you car, and I think you will end up putting a ton of $$ into this, and then killing it's value with every mile you drive it.

18. smggms

smggms Formula Junior

Apr 29, 2018
    Full Name:
    Matt Godwin
    u have a good point .. since the car realy low miles last time they drove it 150 mile one month ago.. so i think it will need lot of rubber replaced ,, tires, mount, balljoints etc,, ( im not familiar with 360).. maybe compresion , leakdown test , no?
    80k may be fair price .. fo this premium car..

19. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Has the timing belts ever been changed? If not, I would even be afraid to start the engine.

20. smggms

smggms Formula Junior

Apr 29, 2018
    Full Name:
    Matt Godwin
  21. brookliner7

brookliner7 Formula Junior

May 5, 2018
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Hans
    also curious, why would you want a car with this low miles?

If you plan to drive it, a super low mileage car would be a huge negative for me.

22. smggms

smggms Formula Junior

Apr 29, 2018
    Full Name:
    Matt Godwin
    Yes, plan to drive it a lot ,, might keep value next 10k miles with less depreciation,,

23. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

one of the super low mileage advantage is that, for an OEM junkie like me, everything , every part has a high possibility of being original, including zip ties, small stuff etc. which are important to us junkie.

so paying a premium ( or having the hassle of replacing lots of rubber) might be worth it.

I am searching for 430's special wire ties and other facotry zip ties for a long time and nobody has a clue where to find them and ferrari official diagrams doesn't have it. It shows how many people really care about these small things

24. Tarek307

Tarek307 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2018
    Long Beach, CA & Alexandria,Egypt.
    Full Name:
    Tarek Salah
    I am a believer in buying sorted out cars that have been driven! I bought my 360 with 42k miles and have put another 5k miles on it already almost and its been trouble free...why? well, because its already been through its growing pains..new clutch, manifold, belt services, tires..etc..and the best part is the higher miles one is usually less $$

brookliner7 likes this.
  25. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    The only advantage I can see is the interior wear. Despite the "stickies" will eventually occur, (it's and easy fix) the dash and defrost vents, seats, and general condition will be like a new car, IF the car was kept inside and the leather cared for properly.

That was a big plus for me with my car. Although it had 22K miles on it (2003 F1) the clutch had been replaced a month before I got it as well as the dash and the defrost vents. The interior was and is an 8 out of 10. Some marks here and there as well as some "re-dyeing" of the Crema leather. However, maybe even that could be a moot point for you since you intend to drive the car regularly and the interior will wear anyway.

Over a year and a half of ownership and I have had zero problems. So in my opinion these 360s are great cars if they are properly cared for-- Oh, and no spontaneous combustion in the engine compartment! ;)