2018 488 Air bag recall | FerrariChat

2018 488 Air bag recall

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by JohnTz, Mar 14, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JohnTz

JohnTz Karting

Jun 21, 2018
    Inverness, IL
    Full Name:
    John Tz
    I just got the notice. Anyone had one of these replaced yet? Would love to hear how it went and how extensively the dash needs to be disassembled?

2. JimPVB

JimPVB Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2016
    Florida
    I didn't get one for my 488 Spider, checking with my dealer now. (I know about the prior recall for Takata airbags, but that didn't affect 488's as far as I know.)

Jim

3. JimPVB

JimPVB Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2016
    Florida
    Yup, dealer just confirmed there is a recall, I'll likely get my official notice soon, likely all 2018 488's.

Jim

4. flifer

flifer Karting

Mar 3, 2016
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I have a 2017 GTB and have not received any kind of recall letter. When I enter my VIN here https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls it shows 1 recall active as of few days ago.

Mar 11,2019
    Manufacturer Recall NumberC24100065
    NHTSA Recall Number19V-006
    Recall StatusRecall Incomplete, remedy not yet available
    SummaryReplacement of passenger side front airbag module MY over MY14

5. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Yep, I just received the notice today. 2018 488 GTB

6. Gullwing

Gullwing Karting

Aug 30, 2016
    Just to get things straight, are we talking cars made in calendar year 2018 or the weird model year 2018 designation?

7. JohnTz

JohnTz Karting

Jun 21, 2018
    Inverness, IL
    Full Name:
    John Tz
    No Idea. Mine is a model year 2018. Took delivery at the end of last summer. It's easy to check. Call your dealer. You will also get a mail notice if effected.

I am a little hesitant to be the first few cars to get this done. I want my techs to get some experience with the 488 dash first ;)

8. Clembo

Clembo Formula Junior

Mine was built in 2017 but it is a 2018 model year. Letter arrived today. It explained that the recall includes manmy Ferrari cars from 2014 and beyond.

of2worlds likes this.
  9. joseph

joseph Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    New Jersey
    maybe this will help.
    I just received mine. Image Unavailable, Please Login

of2worlds, r00t61 and Solid State like this.
  10. JimPVB

JimPVB Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2016
    Florida
    Lots of models.....

Jim

11. Zinger

Zinger Formula 3

Apr 11, 2009
    Leesburg, Va
    Full Name:
    Ryan M
    I received the recall letter today as well. 2018 488GTB

12. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Looks like the Takata recall also includes all 488s as well. This has been discussed in other forums and you have to wonder why they continued to build new cars including LEs with knowingly bad airbags years after the replacements started. I guess a supply issue. Share your concern about dashboard work. My F12 goes in for replacement next month. Actually debated not doing the recall since its just the side bag!

They will schedule your visit based on the heat zone you live in and how long its been in the car. My car's VIN never showed up in the NHTSA recall database by the way. Just keep getting notices as posted above straight from Ferrari N.A. Have at least four notices now.

of2worlds likes this.
  13. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Dont know what happens overseas but here in Australia we log in our rego in a government Takata air bag page and see if the car is affected. My case no
    2018 built 488 GTB

14. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    LOL! I got two notices, one for my 2017 Cali T HS and one for the 2018 488 Spider I traded it for.

15. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    I’m wondering if my currently in production ‘19 488 will end up having this issue lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

458 Spider 0414 likes this.
  16. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Well this blows..... I received the letter yesterday for my 2018 spider.

17. pdxjim488

pdxjim488 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 25, 2018
    Nutz, was hoping it would be recall to relocate the horn button. :-(

18. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    I received that notice for my 458 and also my 488. Tossed both into the trash.

I've crashed a number of cars with just seat belts on and came out just fine.

Ray

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Makuono and Solid State like this.
  19. boogie

boogie Karting

Mar 4, 2016
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Keith
    The recall is based on the possibility that the Takata device will spray shrapnel into the car when deployed.

AClark and MalibuGuy like this.
  20. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    They don't make 'em like they used to...

Ray

21. Motorwerks

Motorwerks Formula Junior

May 8, 2013
    Bloomfield Hills
    Full Name:
    Satish Tummala
    Made an appointment to have mine replaced next week at my dealer. Said it's a half day turnaround

22. JohnTz

JohnTz Karting

Jun 21, 2018
    Inverness, IL
    Full Name:
    John Tz
    Please let us know how it goes and how much of the dash has to be removed. Thanks

23. JohnTz

JohnTz Karting

Jun 21, 2018
    Inverness, IL
    Full Name:
    John Tz
    Has anyone got this done yet? Feedback on how it went on the 488?

24. JimPVB

JimPVB Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2016
    Florida
    My 2018 488 Spider is currently with the dealer getting the airbag replaced. I was told it will take the full day to get the work done. There are actually two parts required for the work to done, the airbag itself, and the brackets apparently used to secure it. The airbags are attached to your VIN number, so it's not a matter of them getting airbags at the dealer, they must get the airbag assigned to your VIN (probably a record keeping thing), and the brackets as well. The airbag for my 488 actually arrived a few weeks ago, but they had to wait for the brackets. Those apparently arrived last week and the work was scheduled. The dealer is supposed to contact you when they receive the airbag assigned to your VIN.

I'm not there to see the work, so have no idea how much de-construction of the dash is required, but I'll post any issues after I receive the car back.

Jim

25. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

My car underwent its first annual service last week, but I directed that the airbag not be replaced. I understand that disassembly of the dash is considerable, hence my unwillingness to proceed with the work; don't have any rattles or fitment issues, don't want any! FWIW, I have no intention of ever having the airbag replaced. If and when I trade the car in, which won't be for some time, the dealer can perform the recall work then.

F430abdo likes this.