Drive to Survive | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Drive to Survive

Discussion in 'F1' started by Finlander, Feb 23, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    I binged watched the rest of the season. The show is geared towards casual fans and has the typical "fake?¿?¿" drama you would find on a reality show but there is enough behind the scenes footage in the paddock/outside of race to keep it interesting.

They could of called the show Formula 1: No Fer..... Look over there CRASHES!! :p

Bas likes this.
  2. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I'm on episode 3 now. It's daft.

Ricciardo saying how qualifying is so important and how on the edge the car is....camera cuts to an onboard of Ric....on an outlap?! Out of all the footage they have, especially of that brilliant pole lap....they choose a ****ing outlap?!

On the plus side they did show Stroll doing his usual daftness, crashing into a Sauber, clearly having a flat and he comes onto the radio saying something is broken, probably the front wing. I nearly forgot that moment, which sums Stroll up in 1! He and his dad comes off incredibly arrogant and Claire Williams comes up even dumber than I think she is.

bmwracer likes this.
  3. GLS12

GLS12 Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2011
    Occupied VA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    I also found the show lacking. Clearly is geared towards casual fans at best and I guess they had to manufacture some stories / drama from issues on the periphery given that Ferrari and Mercedes didn't want to participate (so there is essentially nothing re the actual championships). Not a total waste of time, but not very interesting. The fact that it came out after all of the things that are supposedly suspenseful in the episodes (will Ocon get a seat, will Leclerc move to Ferrari) also does not help.

Bas likes this.
  4. Adrian Thompson

Adrian Thompson Formula Junior

Apr 28, 2004
    Beverly Hills, Mi
    Full Name:
    Adrian Thompson
    I've only watched the first episode. I will watch the rest to make sure Netflix knows I'm interested in F1, or if it doesn't get better I'll let it play out without me watching so they register my interest in the topic. But TBH the first one was a bit disappointing. If you follow F1 closely, you can see how they've taken some pretty thin story lines and made them the main focus. Right off the bat. Danny Ric being a make or break year last year and fighting for the WDC? Nope, that was never on the cards. No one expected Red Bull to be challenging last year even before pre season testing with the Renault (sorry TAG) engine. It was always Merc V Ferrari with RB aiming to try and catch up from way before testing started. Lot's of reality TV making drama out of molehills. Also the predictable 'let's splice all the crashes together and then show them every five mins to make it look like non stop carnage on track. Some great shots though, it looked good in HD.

Some good interviews too, although it's actually lessened my opinion of Ricciardo. He was way to polite and deferential. '..pause....Yes I believe I can be World Champion'. Max, Lewis etc. would never have said that. They would have said 'Of course I can' with a look of disdain at such a stupid question. Ricciardo came across as someone who felt they should say these things while trying to not sound too pompous. The real fighters, the ones who's every pore bleeds desire and self confidence would consider such a question beneath them. Would Lewis, Schumacher, Senna have ever been so deferential? I don't think so.

Finally, although I think the end product is less than perfect, Merc and Ferrari should have been a bigger part of it. They shouldn't have the option not to be a part of it. Like them or not, Liberty are the owners of F1 and responsible for promoting it. They can't do that if their top two teams are playing primadonna. They either take part in promoting it or find somewhere else for their ego to play. Yes, after that last comment I fully expect to be crucified on here.

5. bmwracer

bmwracer Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2004
    Toronto
    Too funny , i watched episode 3 last night and can't be more in agreement with you . Stroll looks like an absolute idiot , even more so walking around with his posse making dumb ass comments and make no mistake , papa is a prick, what you see on camera is just the tip of the iceberg , very shrewd business man but an absolute condescending arrogant jerk.

Bas likes this.
  6. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Man is this boring! Could it be any more seroius? Exactly the kind of image F1 doesn’t need.

7. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I watched all the episodes and I thought it was good. I Mean not great but good. I think its something that F-1 needs to do more of, but it was a shame that they did not get to work with Ferrari or Mercedes - I think that was lacking.

Thecadster likes this.
  8. NaO

NaO Karting

Apr 23, 2017
    I’m sure merc and Ferrari respectfully declined. I agree though, it would have made for more appealing subject matter.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

9. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    FWIW, I enjoyed it. Heck, even my wife enjoyed it. We watch very little TV, and for us to BOTH enjoy the same show is a minor miracle. Interestingly enough, I would classify myself as a beginner, or even casual, motorsports fan. This series actually helped ignite a more serious interest in racing in general, and F1 in particular. My wife too. We can actually see ourselves taking in some F1 races in the coming years. I could not have seen that interest bubbling up if not for the silly (and to the serious fans, mundane) Netflix series.

Isobel likes this.
  10. Finlander

Finlander Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 12, 2012
    Sunshine State
    I agree with those that said it was good, but not great. Most of it was stuff we saw last year throughout the season. What I enjoyed most was the behind the scenes stuff that I didn't get to see during last season.

11. cig1

cig1 F1 Rookie

May 3, 2005
    In front of you
    “a throttle on a Cigarette in heavy swell”

I love it .... I am (or was) a Cigarette man as referred to by my FC name

G

12. EnzymaticRacer

EnzymaticRacer F1 Veteran

Feb 27, 2005
    Wife and I just spotted it this weekend and are watching it. I think we've watched 4 or 5 episodes so far.

Liking it actually.

We didn't get any opportunity to watch any of the races or to try to keep up with F1... so from the angle of someone who's been into F1 for quite a while, but didn't have the ability to follow it last year, it's so far seems like a decent summary of what happened.

13. CRG125

CRG125 F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2005
    Los Angeles, Ca
    Full Name:
    Vivek
    I also binged watched this weekend, actually I enjoyed it. Yes very much like a reality show, however I had several friends which are not racing fans, who now have an interest in F1.

Thecadster and SPEEDCORE like this.
  14. PDX_214

PDX_214 Formula Junior

Apr 25, 2010
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    J

Same, one even said "Now I understand why you like it", and I'm thrilled I have someone new to talk to about it :cool:

CRG125 likes this.
  15. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    I watched a couple of episodes. It is not too bad if I am honest. But i think what they should have done is to follow one specific team throughout the year to see the extended back end footages. It would have been awesome. And that specific team would have been given some money for their cooperation, like a small sponsorship, and perhaps Netflix logos on the cars etc.

Overall it is a bit dramatic, but the episode of Ocon versus Perez really shows the politics side which we all sometimes forget.

E60 M5 likes this.
  16. Jean-Pierre Marchand

Jean-Pierre Marchand Formula Junior
    BANNED

Mar 21, 2019
    Mont Royal, QC
    Full Name:
    Just call me J.P.
    Is this continuing in the 2019 season?

17. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    I binged the season. Not bad. I liked the variety and behind the scenes look at the drivers and principals. Ricci, Sainz, Grosjean, Haas and Force India were the highlights for me.

18. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    Its a series that offers good insights :)