430 - Brake Pad Question CCM | FerrariChat

430 Brake Pad Question CCM

Discussion in '360/430' started by ncjetskier, Mar 14, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ncjetskier

ncjetskier Formula 3

Jul 7, 2012
    Eastern NC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Occasionally, I hear the brakes squeal on the 430 I just purchased. I am familiar with replacing regular car brakes but never had CCM (wow are they expensive). 1) How do I measure the brake pads for wear? 2) The car has 30K miles - does anybody have an idea how long the brakes normally last before needing replacing?
    3) Is there any difference in the way the brake pads are replaced CCM vs. Steel? Thanks for any help.

2. bellwilliam

bellwilliam Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2014
    see my post here: https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/posts/146295544/
    I have pictures of brand new pads.

CCM pads is just like steel. no difference.
    there is a so called "copper" studs embedded in the pads, that will show when pads wears down to 30%. supposedly bad for your CCM rotors.

I assume you have CCM?

3. ncjetskier

ncjetskier Formula 3

Jul 7, 2012
    Eastern NC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Yes, I have CCM. Thanks for the post, as I did not have much luck with the search function.

4. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Bellwilliam has the hot tip, and those pads sure sound like they are the same as oem.
    If you want oem, the factory Brembo pads are available from Eurospares for less than half what the dealer gets. Includes the pins, wear sensors, etc. I paid around $1435 for front and rear for my Scud delivered a couple years ago (and delivery was only two or three days from the UK). I think now its around $1750. Dealer gets $2k per axle just for the parts. Wear limit is 2mm, but the general consensus is you don't want to let them wear to that point.

5. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Scud front CCM (70001573) is not the same as F430 front CCM (70001086).

Chris, is yours a Scud or F430?

6. ncjetskier

ncjetskier Formula 3

Jul 7, 2012
    Eastern NC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    F430 I just reviewed the service records from the previous owners and saw the brakes were replaced 5,000 miles ago - so I thought "ok, I am good" until I saw the front brakes were replaced 5,000 miles before that. Since I did not own the car, I don't know if they really needed replacing or not, or if the driver drove with both feet or tracked the car. I am going to have to check the wear level. Thanks.

7. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I'd have the calipers inspected: possibly sticking pistons, which this type of caliper (race type no external dust seal) is prone to.

8. milanojess

milanojess Karting

Nov 26, 2007
    sf bay area
    5000 miles definitely too short for pads replacement. Mine was replaced at 8-9000 with few track days.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

9. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Depends on how the car was driven. I had to replace them on my Scud, with only 7k miles...but the previous owner had overheated the pads from track sessions, causing them to have no "bite". Pads felt like they were glazed or something. New pads on all corners, and brakes perfectly now. People do stupid things...may not be normal, but stuff happens.

bellwilliam likes this.
  10. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    You also want to have someone look at the parameters in the instrument cluster with a Ferrari-specific diagnostic tester to see how much life are left on the brake rotors. The instrument cluster calculates the wear on the CCM brake rotors.

11. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Pads are measured like any others for remaining thickness. They start at around 9mm so at 5-6mm remaining, they’re about half done. You’ll probably want to change them at 2-3mm remaining. Rate of wear highly depends on how you drive. Note that the stability control works in part by applying brakes as needed to maintain your driving line. This happens in the background and you may not even perceive it other than noting that the car “handles well.” If you drive on winding roads in a ham-handed manner, the brakes will wear more quickly than if you drive smoothly.

Rotors are measured by weight, as they don’t get appreciably thinner, but literally evaporate with very high heat as you’d find in track use. For most driving, though, they will last a long time. To measure wear, the rotors need to be removed and weighed.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat