Considering a 458 | FerrariChat

Considering a 458

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by michaelo, Mar 14, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. michaelo

michaelo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2006
    Tn.
    Full Name:
    Michael O.
    I found a 458 Italia that seems like a great car. The price is right but the exterior
    color would be my personal last choice. The interior is beautiful, however and it is optioned
    just right for my taste. Would any of you even consider a wrap with the intention of emulating
    gloss paint? This is a real aesthetic stretch for me, but I believe I have seem some really nice work
    wrapping cars. The color that I really want is one that doesn't seem to be available very often.
    Anyway, opinions would be helpful.

2. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    As everyone says, opinions are worth what you pay for them....but since you asked...
    My personal opinion is to wait to find the car/color that you REALLY want. I thought that I was open to different colors when I searched for my car, but ultimately, I chickened out when it came time to write the check. Red seemed to strike an emotion in me when I looked at the car. No other car was able to do that even though they were all beautiful cars. I'm glad I waited for the car that excited me the most. Of course you need to weigh out all of the options and do what's right for you. It took me over 4 months to find my car, and it was Rosso Corsa. I can't even imagine how long it would have taken me if I wanted a "unique color".

blackbolt22, LVP488 and FFan5 like this.
  3. Rbwiii

Rbwiii Formula Junior

Aug 9, 2014
    Cali
    Full Name:
    BW
    I agree, with me half the fun is researching and finding the car you want...it is out there...buy the best/right car the first time...IMHO

up4speed, blackbolt22 and FFan5 like this.
  4. TUTTSF

TUTTSF Karting

Sep 21, 2018
    So. Cal
    I was kinda sad when the search was over. I learned so much in the quest to find the perfect car for me, what was considered a well optioned car and why that would matter if it was or wasn't "well optioned" in your enjoyment of the car. As far as color and wrapping as an option I see it this way, to wrap a car correctly for a color change you need to remove doors and hood at the minimal add rear bonnet to complete the color change other wise you will see the old color as you open up said pieces the plus side is you are protecting the original paint from rock chips and such but since you don't like the color I don't know if that matters to you. I waited for a particular color (Maranello) that only showed up after I picked my second choice color (Nero) but the second choice color was way far and above a better optioned car with MSRP +330k 4k miles VS 310K 11k miles car so I would have had to settle a lot to get the right color less options and more miles now price wise one was a spider the other not so hard to compare the better deal. But I am so happy every time I step into my garage even when I am not going to drive her just seeing those beautiful lines and knowing she is ready when I am to go out and rip it up any time puts a smile on my face only a prancing horse could do. You need the color + minimum options you could be happy with and be as patient as you can and the right car with the right seller will show up it took me 4 months to find mine and I really enjoyed the hunt, good luck Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    I’m all for customizing the car the way you want, but gloss wrap is one thing I really disdain. It looks great in pictures, but in person, it always easy to tell the difference between a gloss wrap and actual paint. Gloss wraps just have a certain dullness and lack of clarity that really make them look unattractive imo.

It’s hard to explain, but best way is probably to say that gloss wraps always seem slightly hazy in reflections. Orange peel is excessive too.

If you need to wrap, go with a satin wrap.

6. michaelo

michaelo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2006
    Tn.
    Full Name:
    Michael O.
    Thank you all for the info. I will wait for the right car.

up4speed likes this.
  7. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    There's nothing as wonderful as walking out into your garage and seeing your Ferrari in a beautiful color that you love. I'd say just keep searching. Took me 13 months to find the 360 I wanted in the correct combo, but it was worth every day of waiting until the perfect color came up on the market used.

What color combo are you searching for?

Ray

up4speed likes this.
  8. michaelo

michaelo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2006
    Tn.
    Full Name:
    Michael O.
    I am a fan of Argento Nurburgring. I think it shows the lines of the car nicely. I am just a boring silver and grey fan.

up4speed, Viperjoe and italiafan like this.
  9. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    You might be able to contact FNA and find out how many were actually made in that color.

Try to keep an open mind also. I originally was dead set on only ever having a Nero Daytona 458 - but I ended up with a Grigio Silverstone instead. My girlfriend suggested we go look at them in person, so we started driving around to all the local dealerships. As luck would have it, I found a dealer who had a Nero Daytona, Nero and also a GS all parked next to each other. When viewed out in the sunlight, the GS had all the things I loved about the black cars, and more. Also, after actually seeing the Nero Daytona in the sunlight (and next to a Nero car), I decided the black looked a little off to me.

Titanium is a nice color and really shows off the lines. CDF is also a super nice color and brings out the lines of the cars really well.

You have to really see the cars in person and also keep an open mind to some of the different colors. That's my advice.

Ray

10. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    The search is part of the fun. Don't settle. The right car will come along. BTW the 458 is a fantastic machine. You will be pleased.

up4speed and Graz like this.
  11. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    My friend has an AN Aperta over Rosso alcantera interior..probably one of the most beautiful cars I have ever seen.

12. benny11_85308

benny11_85308 Karting

Dec 12, 2016
    I agree with all comments above, DONT SETTLE. keep looking for the color and options you want but when you find it, dont wait, pull the trigger.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

up4speed likes this.
  13. RWC58

RWC58 Karting

Oct 14, 2018
    Columbus Ohio
    Full Name:
    Robert W Crooks
    Find the color you want . I don't get the wrap thing at all unless it's for your business van LOL !! I don't care how good it is and I would worry about the paint if you ever decided to remove it.

14. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    Argento examples come on the market from time to time. Wait for the right one. Silver looks classic and is easy to maintain. I agree with the above post Argento with red interior would like nice.

15. Marcus01

Marcus01 Rookie

Jun 13, 2018
    Full Name:
    Marcus
    Sometimes you don't know what you want till you see it.

I'd have never considered my GS until I saw it in the dealer and instantly fell in love.

Who buys a grey Ferrari???!!!???!!

16. Brambleworth

Brambleworth Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2011
    NY
    Full Name:
    Ted
  17. michaelo

michaelo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2006
    Tn.