Father-Daughter Road Trip | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Father-Daughter Road Trip

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by rob lay, Mar 9, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Really a great thread- I have been following your posts on FB and there is much more detail and excitement on FChat.

I am surprised about Arkansas. I had no idea it was like that. Someone told me it was boring- clearly they are wrong!

rob lay likes this.
  2. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
  3. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    The first 150 miles were the best driving and most fun for me and the 328, maybe not the most for Mia's stomach. :) The last 200 miles yesterday the most boring of the trip all the way back to home.

2019 Father-Daughter Road Trip Summary:
    • 45 year old father
    • 12 year old daughter
    • 33 year old Ferrari
    • 6 days/5 nights
    • 1,832 total miles
    • 5 states
    • 0 tickets
    • 0 "close calls" tickets or accidents :)
    • 1 broken fog light/maybe minor hail damage
    • 1 fight first day (results a tie), 5 minor disagreements (score Mia 3 - Dad 2)
    • Dad still got in 5 runs totaling 17 miles. Lost 2 pounds on the trip!
    • Father-Daughter bonding improved from a 7 to a 9.
    One sentence highlights COTA parade lap, Lost Pines Resort lazy river, Lake Charles trampoline park, Bourbon Street, JH's mansion and showroom tour, B.B. King museum, Jim Henson's hometown, staying at a 170 year old plantation, picking cotton, Lodge at Mount Magazine, and 150 mile hard mountain rally to end of Talimena Drive.

Summary of 328 Performance
    • No problems really at all.
    • AC works PERFECT, until sunny and outside temps start getting close to 80. Luckily only had that for about day and half first 2 days.
    • Only damage 1 fog light and maybe minor hail damage (I can't see anything, but we had good hail for about 20 minutes).
    • Only roadside "repairs" had to tighten AC knob, added quart of oil, and sprayed the throttle bottle and wire with WD40 as pedal sticking.
    • Long drive did identify several squawks for next time at Norwoods. Center dash temp gauge not reading, was accessory belt noise when AC off 1st day (went away rest of trip), need to replace steering wheel (just had interior done except steering wheel), dash lights were inop, rear bonnet shock not holding, windshield wiper fluid nossle needs to be aimed better, passenger door needs sight adjustment so don't have to slam shut, and get to root cause of throttle cable hanging.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

rennspeed, rodscher, bball16 and 15 others like this.
  4. sn997

sn997 Rookie

Dec 4, 2018
    Full Name:
    Sam N
    Trip of a lifetime and love the summaries! Hoping to do a similar trip with my daughters someday.

rob lay likes this.
  5. 2cam

2cam Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2014
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    MikeS
    What a great thread! I have a 2006 year model daughter as well and I'm not sure that I could get her on the road to do something like this unless there were multiple horses (not the Maranello kind) involved.

Arkansas has a lot of incredible driving roads. The drive on Talimena from Mena into OK is beautiful. You expect Arkansas to be pretty, but OK? ;) That was a surprise the first time we went to that area. I like the spots where the road crosses the valley and climbs back up and out.

2cam

Themaven and rob lay like this.
  6. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Yea, but what was your gas mileage? :D

7. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Fantastic story and very uplifting for all of us men who are permanently guilty we don't spend enough time with our daughters, sons or Ferraris. On Fchat that's why this was so poignant - you hit two with one.

I disagree with your bonding score. In years to come it will be revised to be a 10. You can't undo that time together.

Now what - back to the usual bickering on this board. Thanks for raising it up for us for a few days.

rob lay, kes7u and Texas Forever like this.
  8. SaratogaCA

SaratogaCA Formula Junior

Sep 11, 2016
    Saratoga, CA
    Full Name:
    Sam T.
    It literally does not get much better than this.

I am looking forward to teaching my niece how to drive a stick shift in my Mondial ... not exactly the same as a multi-state road trip, but I will take what I can get.

- Sam in Saratoga

rob lay likes this.
  9. davebuchner

davebuchner Formula 3

Jun 1, 2005
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Dave Buchner
    Just seen this now - looking forward to this.

I wish my daughters (2008 and 2010 models) had wanted to do a road trip while I had the Ferraris - could have only taken one I guess. But I am doing a family road trip in April with my wife and two daughters in my 62 FIAT spider and my wife's SUV as luggage vehicle and backup

Themaven, rob lay and Texas Forever like this.
  10. davebuchner

davebuchner Formula 3

Jun 1, 2005
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Dave Buchner
    Thank you for sharing, Rob! I agree with the comment that you should make a photo book of the trip - or ask Mia to make one, would be a cool project for her.

rob lay likes this.
  11. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Sounds like you have a good reason to get an FF. :)

davebuchner likes this.
  12. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    around 18-19 MPG.

13. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    my mom is putting one together, she likes to do that.

14. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    Robb, what road did you take to get from Mountain magazine over to Mina. Based on what you posted, it looks like Highway 80. I had taken 28 when we were down there. It was OK. I suspect 80 may be a better road.

15. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    that was just the app mapping, we took 10-23-71. I think it is good getting down there most efficient. The roads are nice and still pretty fun, but there are better ones. Eye balling it 28 looks curvier, but maybe 80 is better. I'm curious how Chris can work Talimena trail in as that's 55 miles by itself and puts you way into Oklahoma. This is 270 miles, I guess Crescent has gone that far a few times. :D

Image Unavailable, Please Login

slm likes this.
  16. Golden Steed

Golden Steed Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2018
    Full Name:
    Golden Steed
    Oh I feel sorry for those poor boys. Those poor kids in a few years who pull up in their stanced Toyota 86s to try and impress her.

The eye roll delivered will be so epic, you can almost hear it...

rob lay and Back'n'Black like this.
  17. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    I don’t think we necessarily need efficient. I am thinking the best route will be taking 80 over and then taking 88 out of Mina over to 27 through the national park to the south. I have heard that is a great route and not much longer. There is an old radio museum dedicated to the Lum and Abner radio show along the way that looks pretty cool to stop at. As you remember, most people make pretty short order of this anyway.

rob lay likes this.
  18. Back'n'Black

Back'n'Black Karting

Aug 8, 2017
    Roseville, CA
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Especially when she finds out they can't drive a stick shift.

willrace, Golden Steed and rob lay like this.
  19. davebuchner

davebuchner Formula 3

Jun 1, 2005
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Dave Buchner
    … or a Cali.

20. mtmilam

mtmilam Formula Junior

Oct 24, 2009
    Lafayette, LA
    Full Name:
    Mark Milam
    MAN, I can't believe I'm just reading this now....We could have meet y'all There!! We live in Lafayette....She looks so much like her Momma. haha.
    Tammy and I are bringing the 430 stick to Hanging at the Hangars, I always wanted to drive the Bluebonnets. Great Trip, I brought my daughter on a Road trip to Talledaga, a few years back, Drove with the Top down the Whole way, meet Brother in Motorhome right on fence in turn 4.....had a blast!

slm and rob lay like this.
  21. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    Mia will remember that trip for the rest of her life.....

MalcQV and rob lay like this.
  22. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    Brilliant. My daughter is.. born in 92 that'll make her 27 in September :D (I have to work back now :eek:). Have I left something like this a bit late I wonder?
    Again thanks for sharing. :)

rob lay likes this.
  23. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    never too late, but I think it could be too early. I don't think we would have been able to pull it off any younger. Just over the last year has she become tougher not whining or crying about little things. She's also independent and confident enough not to be a total drain on me. Several times I could go off for a couple hours and do my own thing.

MalcQV likes this.
  24. Enzojr

Enzojr F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2013
    West of PDX
    Full Name:
    Tomy
    Awesome trip, a few days in time but lasting memories for the two of you ........ job well done.
    My daughter .....
    “Dad I can hear you in that thing a mile before you get to my house” ;)
    Took her for a ride, it was short and I think it made her head hurt.
    Of course she is 40 and can’t tell the difference between a Ferrari and a Toyota ;)

Back'n'Black, dinoart and rob lay like this.
  25. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    I did a 450 mile trip with my younger daughter age 30 and I can tell you it gets better. The extra maturity is surprisingly welcome yet there're still your little girl. Just another reason for folks to stare and come up at the gas station. The best part of our mountain trip was she handled all the navigation and I just drove. Zero complaints. She had some kind of App thing on her phone and called out distance and direction and it was great. We were doing a lot of tight narrow mountain and vistas. Best time yet in the F12. You did great Rob. Thank you for taking the time to post your multi-day event. Lots of planning at it was a joy to follow on FChat.

Reacherman1022 and rob lay like this.