Cali 30 magneride yes/no? | FerrariChat

Cali 30 magneride yes/no?

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by amv1981, Mar 16, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. amv1981

amv1981 Rookie

Mar 13, 2019
    Hi all,

New to the forums and soon a new Ferrari owner. Opting for a Cali 30.

Buying second hand on the swedish market, so range is perhaps more limited compared to the US market.

Basically found two cars very similar in spec besides one thing – one has not magneride (my 2012) and the other one has HS-pack (my 2013).

Roads in Sweden and Europe (going for a eurotrip in the summer including the alps of course) are generally good.

Would appreciate input on which one to opt for.

HS-pack version is ca 8% pricier on the sticker.

Here is the 2012 w/o MR https://cars.autoropa.se/Ferrari-California-2012-5b6d7fe3 (I prefer the looks on this one with daytona seats)

Here is the 2013 w HS-pack https://fordonsbolaget.se/bilar/begagnade/rda401-ferrari-california-2013

Cheers

/A

2. Tireman

Tireman Karting

Nov 13, 2011
    Canada
    HS !!!’

3. Gooey

Gooey Karting

Jul 28, 2018
    Full Name:
    Gooey
    HS!!!
    Definitely- it has nice seats with the alcantara

4. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
  5. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    HS, and it uses and therefore includes MR (MagneRide). You cannot have HS without MR.

6. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Similar mileage and one year newer plus HS are major pluses for the 2013. I think the 2012 has a better looking interior. Also, I believe Autoropa is the authorized dealer for Sweden? If so, another plus for the 2012 IMO. Can't go wrong with either. Have you test driven both?
    T

7. amv1981

amv1981 Rookie

Mar 13, 2019
    Ty all for all the input,

So this is a little complicated, mostly due to my OCD ;)

Autoropa is indeed Swedens only authorized F dealer, but this specific car was actually sold in Germany and brought here in 2015/16. This will be the second time Autoropa sell it though, which means it's fully ppi:ed and properly serviced through them.

The second car (HS) is from a "normal" dealer, but was sold in Sweden initially, thus an Autoropa car from the beginning. Buying it and having them check it up with a proper ppi should be just fine.

I have not test driven either of them. Currently I have actually only ever driven Ferrari once and it was a 458. Under my belt is other sport cars though and on my last three Porsches, all have had PASM, which I believe improves the experience when driving more spirited.

I will check both of the cars next week to make up my mind. Also prefer the Diamond wheels on the non HS.

But the suspension did improve from launch to the 30, right? That is more pronounced difference between comfort and sport with better over all handling (even w/o Magneride)??

Cheers

/A

8. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    The diamond cut wheels of the non-HS car look nice but they are extremely heavy, cast construction, while the newer 5-spoke ones on the HS car are forged and are significantly lighter.

Ferrari made the HS option for very good reasons. Go look up original reviews. OTOH if you are not into performance driving you won’t care for the difference. If you liked pcar handling you will prefer HS.

BTW, my Cali30 came with the heavy diamond-cut factory wheels. My new bigger, wider after-market HRE wheels with wider rubber and titanium bolts are 40 lbs lighter... that’s 40 POUNDS of unsprung weight!

tomc likes this.
  9. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    No worries. I suspect most first time Ferrari buyers go through similar mental gymnastics. This is a beauty contest with no losers. From your post, it seems you like to drive spiritedly. If my supposition is correct, get the HS - assuming the test drive is OK - and don't look back.
    T

10. Nick.C

Nick.C Rookie

Oct 14, 2019
    Full Name:
    nicholas chatburn
    HS all day long...