I watched my new, filthy dirty disgusting, Portofino arrive off the truck. | FerrariChat

I watched my new, filthy dirty disgusting, Portofino arrive off the truck.

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by blu308qv, Mar 17, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. blu308qv

blu308qv Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2008
    Florida
    I have been so eagerly awaiting the arrival of my new Portofino from the factory. I have owned several Ferrari’s, but this is the first time I ordered a new car from the factory.

On Friday the dealship confirmed that the horseless carriage was delivering the car on Monday. On Saturday, I happened to be at th dealship by coincidence and the horseless carriage had arrived early with my new Portofino. It was coming from the port in GA. I was so excited to see the car and saw it right as it was coming off the truck. The dealership warned me that the car would not be clean. Well, that was an understatement. I expected it to be dirty on the outside, but when I saw the interior, I get a sick feeling in my stomach. It was a filthy disgusting mess on the inside. The seats did have covers, fortunately. But they just had small paper sheets on the floor and there was literally black mud ground deep into the carpets, with big black muddy boot prints on the door panels, pedals, door jams and carpet. Also, there was black muddy hand prints all over the interior of the car. I could not believe it. The dealship assured me that this is normal and that the car would be perfect once detailed.

I’ve seen new Toyota’s coming off the trucks. The body panels are carefully covered in white shrink wrap on all the high points of the panels. The interiors have the carpets completely covered in plastic wrap, and the seats and steering wheels are all covered. Any aluminum parts, like door jams, have clear plastic wrap on them so they are not scuffed.

I see new corvettes on the trucks with full white body covers with little plastic windows and special covers on the rims.

Does anyone know why Ferrari would not do the same? Or, do they, and my car was just a one off. It seems that if Toyota can take these precautions with $20k cars, and Chevy can protect corvettes, that Ferrari could do the same.

I’m sure the dealership will get the car in perfect shape and I will be very happy, but I wantd to see if anyone else had information that they could share.

2. clockem

clockem Formula 3

May 18, 2009
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Sorry to hear this. Make sure the paint is perfect before you pick it up. If this is how the inside arrived imagine what happened to the exterior. Hope you took pictures. I would send them to FNA and have them explain how they deliver $300k cars like this.

3. bob_Uk

bob_Uk Karting

Oct 13, 2016
    I went to see my car when it was still in the compound and it was not ideal. It was mainly things like marks on the paint and on the seats. I took pictures and just reminded the salesman I expected it to be detailed before it went to be wrapped or they would have to pay to have it fixed. It was all fine when it was checked.

Better than the Fiesta I had once which arrived with a hand print in the bonnet and which the dealer refused to fix saying it was acceptable! Ford gave me my money back in the end...

4. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Man, what a buzz kill. What color combo is your Porto? I'm sure dealer will make it right.
    T

5. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    don't worry about it. Just needs a good detail...your dealer will take care of it. Don't let this take the edge off this wonderful experience.

6. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Images of dock jockeys at the ports. :(

Ferrari is so protective of its trademarks, one would think they'd do the same for their products as well. Proactive, not reactive (e.g. clean-up crew).

Dave rocks likes this.
  7. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    The reason those other cars come with covers is they are TOO CHEAP to do the dealer prep Ferrari gives before they release a car. They run them through a car wash with Camrys and Camaros and voila' -- there is your car.

Those cars sit in customs and at FNA before being picked up. All Horseless Carriage wants to do is deliver it without damage. The dealer warned you. You wanted to see it.

Be careful what you wish for.

8. LI2782

LI2782 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 19, 2010
    that paper wrap does more damage than anything.I wouldn't worry about it, I am sure the car will look good at pick up.

9. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Have you watched a baby being born? We end up keeping them around. ;)

See also, "don't watch the sausage being made."

10. GlowRed

GlowRed Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2012
    West Midlands, UK
    When my Portofino arrived, I asked for it to be left as it came off the truck as it was going straight off for a detail and PPF.

I went to see the car and the outside was filthy with road salt all over the front. I was amazed that Ferrari do not protect the car when transporting.

Lamborghini, Audi and Range Rover protect their cars when transporting them.

11. Mimmo Blue

Mimmo Blue Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2018
    Stoney Creek, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Dom
    I can't believe Ferrari is not protecting the cars these days. My parents visited the Ferrari factory in Maranello in 1984 and it was the first time I saw pictures of cars with plastic wrap on body panels and molded Styrofoam bumpers hanging on the fender wells and doors.