Anybody remember who the engine artist was from Supercar Classics? | FerrariChat

Anybody remember who the engine artist was from Supercar Classics?

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by bitzman, Mar 13, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    He inspired me to do my engine portraits but I lost all my copies of Supercar Classics in my many moves. His technique was to have the engine in a sort of mist with little words scribbled all around it, drawing attention to the 48mm sidedraught Webers or whatever. He came to my attention by being first featured in CAR magazine and then later in their sister magazine Supercar Classics.(since discontinued) I don't know if he ever did enough of them to fill a book but they are sure fun to see if you have memories of a lot of engines. I'm only showing my engine drawing to spark memories but want to mention his name in an article on engine art (by the way a French lady last name Sandrine Blondel is the newest "engine artist" to be at automotive art shows).
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

of2worlds likes this.
  2. Scratchbuilt

Scratchbuilt Karting

Oct 8, 2008
  3. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    He died a few years ago (suicide, I believe) and many of his original drawings, not just of engines, came on the market. I wish I'd purchased a few. He was very talented.

Supercar Classics was a good magazine. I managed to keep a complete set even though finding it here in the States was difficult.

4. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    I heard suicide too. I think the problem with many artists (and writers) is not finding the audience that appreciates them while they are doing the work (even Van Gogh). I think now--in 2019-- he would find a market, as he was really out there, experimenting with the concept of the beauty of the engine being recognized by itself, separate from the car. I think CAR in the early days was a very experimental car magazine, now looks more like the rest. And Supercar Classics did some adventurous photography and art things too. Right now OCTANE is the classiest British car magazine in my opinion...

5. bloomberg

bloomberg Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2011
    IMHO SCC was the best ever classic car magazine. They were ahead of times, and nothing ever came close. Unfortunately it was producing red ink for the publisher and when it came to an end it was not in the best shape anymore. I kept all my copies and still enjoy them. Bob Freeman was fantastic, and the staff of writers was first rate.

375+ likes this.
  6. bloomberg

bloomberg Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2011
    Bitzman, I have some extra copies that you may be interested in.

7. red27

red27 Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2010
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Mark Oliver
    I also loved SCC when it was current. I have an (almost) complete set which I still browse today with coffee in hand.
    Bob Freeman was undoubtedly a huge talent. My particular favourites I think being his Ferrari Boxer engine and Maserati V8. For those interested, there is still a website which offers prints of his work at

www.bobfreeman.co.uk

Regards.

Mark.

bloomberg and gt4me like this.
  8. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I think most of the writers were from Car, in fact I believe SCC was from the same publisher.

9. bloomberg

bloomberg Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2011
    That’s correct, Jack.

10. Pranucci

Pranucci Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 17, 2005
    Carpinteria, CA
    Sadly that website no longer exists.
    I think I also have all the SCC issues, and I'm kicking myself for not getting some of his prints.