348 - Broken AC bracket, and a new venture | FerrariChat

348 Broken AC bracket, and a new venture

Discussion in '348/355' started by steved033, Mar 19, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    When I got my 348, my AC made horrible noises. Well, the bracket was broken, so I figured I'd just wait till I did the major and take care of it then. I discovered that the only thing holding the AC compressor in place was the pivot bolts and the belt! The ear on the AC was completely broken, and missing. The adjuster/tensioning bolt had the head snapped off, and there was a small piece of the ear clamped between the clamp bolt and the ear on the AC compressor.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

In light of the Alternator bracket thread where people aren't loosening the tensioner before trying to loosen the adjuster and killing the bracket, I think that same thing has happened here. Searching around, used cast OE ones are $500 or so, and the one place I saw from a vendor had them at $900...but I never found that link again. What's the guarantee a cast one wouldn't just crack and fail again? The answer was billet. so I made a test fit model without the ear for the adjuster and fit it with a rapid prototyped plastic model.

Then, being happy with that, I added the adjuster ear and sent it out for quotes. The billet part arrived yesterday, and fit just as good as the rapid prototyped version. (I did try the rapid prototyped version with the AC compressor in place to ensure I got the slot in the correct position)

I got it installed, and took the car out for a ride last night. The AC works and is ice cold! (it's not worked since I owned the car)

I'd been dreaming about a time when I'd start a little engineering/design/build gig, and that time is now with the formation of Atlanta Design Solutions. Big projects, little projects, I'm open to anything, but I haven't quit my day job yet. :cool:

Stooge on.

Steve

taz355, Qavion and krazykarguy like this.
  2. tracktoys

tracktoys Rookie

Feb 5, 2017
    Wales UK
    looks great Steve, will keep it in mind when I pull mine, good luck with the venture, just need to find some more obsolete/ hens teeth type brackets from the whole range

steved033 likes this.
  3. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Very Cool Steve :)

I'm all for start up's but be sure you know what you are getting into. An item like this is not going to sell in much volume. A lot of the tools and accessories we do are more for community help than profit as you just can't sell enough to cover the development costs.

Sub contracting the machining is an entirely other set of problems. Help to chat with you any time and will offer any advice I can.

taz355 and steved033 like this.
  4. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    Thanks Dave, I'll take you up on that.

The plan is to do fun little projects like this for me (publicity is publicity), and do design/build/prototype. I considered getting more built, but I couldn't find ONE thread of someone saying they'd broken theirs. If people want what I'm making, I'm sure I can add extras to the list, but I don't want a warehouse full of parts no one wants. Previous to the current gig, I spent years in a design firm doing one offs. I've got a short list of machinists near and far that do excellent work. Metal, plastic, rapid prototyping, urethane casting...I've had it all done. Like I said, I haven't quit my day job.

sjd

5. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I did that too but sold my cnc mill when I moved and I now outsource machining for stuff I come up with, but do the cad myself. Still have a day job.

Lots of fun if nothing else! Good luck and have fun. Who knows where it goes.

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using FerrariChat.com mobile app

steved033 likes this.
  6. User-C3

User-C3 Karting

Aug 29, 2018
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Trevor
    How about making a timing belt Idler pulley bracket?

7. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    As I just don't have one laying around, PM me.

sjd

8. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Speaking of broken brackets, here's the lower one.

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/what-bracket-is-this.526412/
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/348-aternator-bracket-again.169319/

steved033 likes this.
  9. Keks

Keks Rookie

Jun 10, 2019
    Full Name:
    Alexander Kexel
    Hi
    I Miss the bracket the ac and the tubes on my 348.

A new bracket would be a good Start.

Can you Build me one?

Thanks
    Alex

10. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    Possibly. send you a PM.