Skid Plate | FerrariChat

Skid Plate

Discussion in '308/328' started by Ferraridoc, Mar 19, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Has anybody thought about (or done) one of these? I know there is an alloy one (made in OZ, actually) that sits under the front cross member, but I was thinking of an UHMWPE one, possibly extending out to the spoiler lip (I have a Euro spoiler).

2. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    Why UHMWPE? It’s not a hip arthroplasty bearing. People have made rather nice ones out of large cutting boards from the home goods store. I like the idea as I do scrape my spoiler occasionally.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. Ferraridoc

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Because it's hard, and slippery. I'm not sure what cutting board varieties there are, but they feel soft, which means they'll grip the road, rather than skate across it.

4. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Full Name:
    Will
    Okay...but it’s still just a plastic skid plate...I really think you’re over thinking it...either make it metal or plastic, get the shape right and off you go. If you’re wearing through cheap plastic ones like Kleenex, then I’d say you’re a genius...you probably are anyway since you’re smart enough to know what HMWPE is!:D

Edit: I still really dig your idea though, just to be clear...

5. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Full Name:
    Will
    Just for fun, looked up “color coded plastic cutting” on eBay and one vendor has 1/2” thick HDPE boards that are relatively inexpensive and you pick the size and color! Thanks for bringing the idea back up. There’s a 360 thread about making skid plates from nylon cutting boards and taping them on with 3M bonding tape.

6. Ferraridoc

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    UHMWPE is so slippery, nothing will stick to it - it has to be screwed on. I'm dicking around with a few ideas, but I thought someone might have done it and saved me the trouble. I'll check out the cutting board thing - I saw one once that was very hard (too hard for its intended purpose). I'll google some.

7. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Full Name:
    Will
    Well...the 360 plates from Hill are PE plastic and those guys have been taping them on for decades now with good results...

8. Ferraridoc

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Whale oil - I'll check it out

Hannibal308 likes this.
  9. Ferraridoc

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    BTW, I used an alloy skid plate for a recent week-log blast through the twisties. Had a few big hits, and one of them sheared 6 of the 7 bolts holding the skid plate on. Two problems: 1, the alloy tends to grip the road, rather than slide over it, and 2, stainless steel bolts were too soft and ductile for the job. I'll try and find a pic.

10. Ferraridoc

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
  11. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Full Name:
    Will
    Cool update! How did you get skid marks at ~90 degree angles to each other? Some serious drifting?

can't surf likes this.
  12. chrisnmorse

chrisnmorse Rookie

Mar 21, 2018
    I've got one of Gleggy's skid plates, sump baffels and timing cover block off plates, but yet have to install the skid plate or timing belt plates. The sump plate works well.
    Ive been considering using high density polyurethane, HPDE for skid plate blocks for the front corners of chassis, just behind the front valence, (no euro air dam).
    McMasterCarr has a great selection of the stuff and just about every other mechanical bit you might want too.
    Good stuff from OZ.

Hopeing to finish my dad's 74 porsche project and get back to the 77.
    chris

My guess is that the sideways scuffs were a puckering 360 misadventure, at speed :)

13. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Ferraridoc and Cirorsi like this.
  14. AZDoug

AZDoug Formula 3

Jun 17, 2009
    Along the Verde , AZ
    Full Name:
    Doug
    Do some of y'all have your F cars lowered to two tacos off the ground, or do you four wheel with your 3x8s?

I can't find any place on the center under side of my car that has hit anything. Except maybe the one time i drove off a low curb in pitch dark 35 years ago, thinking there was an apron there. That just rode on the rocker lower seam a couple feet back from the front wheels,and didn't hurt anything. I can see where the HDPE used as wear strip on the above pic, could have advantages on steep driveway apron transitions.
    Doug

15. Ferraridoc

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Nope, skid plate spun around on the one remaining bolt and then scraped a few more times. In Aus, an otherwise great country road can suddenly throw up a dip or a bump that catches you out. My mechanic slammed the suspension when it was installed - I've raised it twice since then, but will raise it again to almost standard height, and change out the springs from 350/300 to 400/350. And add an UHMWPE skid plate. And extend the lip like Mike's, so I can put a skid plate there. too.

16. Ferraridoc

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    See above

Hannibal308 likes this.