Stefano Domenicali | FerrariChat

Stefano Domenicali

Discussion in 'F1' started by Sig. Roma, Mar 16, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Sig. Roma

Sig. Roma Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 11, 2007
    Bella Italia
    Full Name:
    Dom T.
    He was with Coulthard and Weber today at quali. I have not seen where he has left Lamborghini. I can’t image in Vw Group would let him do that unless they are up to something. Ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

of2worlds likes this.
  2. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Maybe he is just having a holiday. He wants to grow Lamborghini sales from 5750 last year to 8000 which is comparable to Ferrari sales numbers. He may introduce a 4 door sedan but they don't have the financial resources or the stability in the company to do that yet...

3. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    I don't see Lamborghini or any other VW brand in F1 in the foreseeable future. They're too busy selling SUVs and paying fines.

Jeronimo GTO, Bas and jgonzalesm6 like this.
  4. Sig. Roma

Sig. Roma Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 11, 2007
    Bella Italia
    Full Name:
    Dom T.
    But Audi does.

5. fer312t

fer312t Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2010
    There were some rumblings that VW or Lamborghini may be in running to enter Indycar as the 3rd engine supplier.
    With the 'real' Formula 3 fading away (being replaced by a basically re-badged GP3) VW may have some racing resources freed up

polishhammer83 likes this.
  6. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    From last week.

7. Sig. Roma

Sig. Roma Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 11, 2007
    Bella Italia
    Full Name:
    Dom T.
    Maybe the last paragraph explains why Domenicali is there. Doing some due diligence for a potential involvement. We’ll see

8. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
  9. Sig. Roma

Sig. Roma Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 11, 2007
    Bella Italia
    Full Name:
    Dom T.
    Glad he’s there but vw giving him permission has to have some motive behind it.

10. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Wonder if he’s having any sectret meetings with Claire?

11. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    If domenicali is involved in an f1 team, at least we can safely assume they will be totally disorganised, the pit wall strategists will be incompetent, and the team will suffer from a perennial fear of winning anything, so they won’t be a challenge to anyone

tonyswfla and Sig. Roma like this.
  12. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Sounds like a perfect fit for most teams then! Jokes apart he could be paventing the way for a team buyout or PU partnership with VW.

Now Red Bull is sorted can see Williams, Mclaren or Force India do well with a big partner.

daytona355 likes this.
  13. Sig. Roma

Sig. Roma Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 11, 2007
    Bella Italia
    Full Name:
    Dom T.
    VW have attended various F1 FIA meetings and there has been power unit talk in the past. After the diesel scandal broke, I was surprised that VW is still involved in far more than what I thought (it was estimated the scandal would cost $25billion, and that was all the cash they had on hand at the time). Could be they go with a Porsche, Audi, Bugatti or Lamborghini engine. And I don't think a couple of hundred million sterling, euros or dollars would affect VW all that much. Team buyout will be a bit more expensive.

I guess its wait and see.

daytona355 likes this.
  14. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

I can understand why the VW Group gets cold feet about entering F1 at this stage.
    It's rather late in the day for this formula, and nothing has been set in concrete about the next one yet. IMO, they are wasting precious time.

Soon after the withdrawal of AUDI from the WEC where they competed with an hybrid car, Dr Ullrich was questioned about participating in F1.
    The team boss estimated then than it would cost at least £1billion and take 3 years to develop an engine capable to compete against Mercedes.
    He intimated that it wasn't on the cards.

We have seen that even a major manufacturer like Honda has struggled for years to be where it is now.

15. Sig. Roma

Sig. Roma Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 11, 2007
    Bella Italia
    Full Name:
    Dom T.
    Over 20 years ago, I was in the Modena area visiting a small hydraulic company for a US friend. This guy worked for Ferrari back in the 1970s, and was pretty well connected. We visited a very sophisicated machining company near the Modena train station. The old fellow who owned it wanted to be in F1, and hired a number of top dog ex-Ferrari engine people and developed an engine for one of the major manufacture teams (who are no longer in F1). The development of this program took 5 years, but I doubt they didn't spend anywhere near £1B. But that was before electrification and hybridization.

16. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Exactly !!

It's a completely new ball game now ...

17. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Motori Moderni(Subaru)?

18. Sig. Roma

Sig. Roma Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 11, 2007
    Bella Italia
    Full Name:
    Dom T.
    I never had the guy's name, but Forghieri was involved.

19. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    I think the fine was just too huge. Hefty jail terms for the individuals would have made more sense. I mean the CEO just took off with his pension and living life now. All this happened during his leadership. Somehow, he would have known i think.

20. Sig. Roma

Sig. Roma Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 11, 2007
    Bella Italia
    Full Name:
    Dom T.
    Not sure exactly what you mean with this?

21. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    No, that engine was designed by Carlo Chiti, who indeed was ex-Ferrari, but earlier, that is until the "Big walkout" of 1962. Then Carlo Chiti was with Alfa-Romeo, for which he designed the Flat-12 of the 33TT12, then brought to Brabham in Formula One (starting in end 1975 for the 1976 season), then a V12 for Brabham also in 1979. That V12 was the basis of the Alfa-Romeo effort in F1, until they switched to Turbo engines.

It is a lesser known fact that after the 3,5 litre engine for Motori Moderni / Subaru, Carlo Chiti designed another 12 cylinder, but of 4 litre capacity; that one was not built, but the blueprints, tools, etc...were bought by Koenigsegg in 1998. As far as I know, nothing came out of this, i.e, that 12 cylinder never materialised (?)

Rgds

Sig. Roma and 375+ like this.
  22. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    I mean the CEO, Martin Winterkorn (I think) , took his paycheck and retired after the scandal was revealed, and 2-3 employees were jailed?

Forgive me but that is overall what happened correct? oh yes and the huge amount of fine.

23. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Forgot my own cardinal rule to always substanciate and quote a source, so here it is for those interested:

https://jalopnik.com/how-koenigsegg-nearly-built-subarus-flat-12-f1-engine-1790634539

Rgds

375+ likes this.
  24. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
  25. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    I remember having read "somewhere" (??) a quote by Gordon Murray about the fitting of the Alfa flat-12 engine into the Brabham chassis, at the end of 1975: he was saying that each and every engine from Alfa-Romeo was different from the next one, i.e no standardisation on dimension whatsoever, that Brabham needed a lot of adapters, excentrics, etc...to bolt one engine to a chassis; and that almost each engine was tailor-made to its own specs. To sum it up, it was a powerful, but bulky and thirsty engine. When Bernie decided that Brabham had to go back to the Cosworth V-8 at the end of 1979 Murray felt that "he was almost on holidays": i.e, everything was fitting exactly how it should be...

Rgds