Tensioner Bearing condition opinion | FerrariChat

Tensioner Bearing condition opinion

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by root, Mar 18, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. root

root Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 28, 2012
    Bay Area, Ca
    These tensioner bearings were installed in July 2016 by the previous seller. The car has been driven about 700 miles since then. They are being replaced now with Hill Engineering bearings as part of a major service by Ferrari of San Francisco. Any guess as to how much longer they would've lasted before giving up the ghost?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    700 miles? Damn. Looks like the seals are done and there is spalling. The top one just looks like lube (as if bad seals wasn't bad enough) but the bottom photo looks like more than just lube. Seal particles, lube, and possibly actual metal spalling. Factory parts? That is sad!!

3. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Spalling? Evidence?

4. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I have never seen one not loose some grease. Ever. The seals are not absolute and their primary function is to defend against ingress of foreign material.

The debris in the grease is debris, not bearing material. The inside of the belt covers is a pretty dirty place and dirt sticks to the grease.

Great and common scare tactics though. Works nearly every time.

2NA, JimEakin and INTMD8 like this.
  5. root

root Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 28, 2012
    Bay Area, Ca
    #5 root, Mar 19, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
    Didn't notice any metal thrown out, just grease Is it normal for the tensioner bearing to be that much "off center"? The gap on the belt side looks narrower than the gap on the opposite side where grease was thrown out. Obviously for the tensioner to work it has to exert pressure on the belt which can explain the slight off center orientation, but is the bearing supposed to have that much play? Will the HE bearings look like these after 700 miles?

6. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Off center? How do you think the belt is tensioned?

Doesn't matter how the HE bearings will look. Slight grease loss past the seals is normal on many bearings and not a sign of imminent failure. It does obviously make a great sales tool though.

7. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Well, failure analysis from internet photos is a seriously problematic exercise.....but...

In the lower picture, I think I see re-solidified balls of metal (look kind of shiny). The pattern of these at ~10 o'clock and 4 o'clock seem to be slung out from the bearing seals. As Wikipedia puts it Spall are flakes of a material that are broken off a larger solid body and can be produced by a variety of mechanisms, including as a result of projectile impact, corrosion, weathering, cavitation, or excessive rolling pressure (as in a ball bearing). Spalling in a bearing is often seen as these small balls of molten metal from the excessive drag, friction, and subsequent heating. And it takes some serious heating. If those balls are from the internals of the bearing, either races or balls, then that was incredible localized heating. But not unprecedented. They seem to originate from the inner race but I'm really pushing based on just one photo.

8. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    If he will send us the old bearings I'll bet $1000 you are wrong.

How about it?

2NA likes this.
  9. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Nope. Not based on internet photos. Not a chance. Plus, I'm wrong about 60% of the time. Bad odds all the way around.

You think that stuff is grease and just average filth?

10. root

root Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 28, 2012
    Bay Area, Ca
    I asked for the old parts to be saved and returned to me. Will provide update when I have something to add.

Brian, there was no sales pitch by anyone. The car was almost due for belt service and I just wanted to baseline it for peace of mind as I was not sure how well the previous service was done.

11. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Based on the last several hundred I have inspected....yes.

12. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    You are, no doubt, correct. That is a lot of grease and crap for 700 miles. Do you know who the OEM on those bearings might be? In my design work, it is usually appropriate to spec ABEC-7 or 7P and I tend toward NHBB. I've never had one of their's look like this with such little running life.

13. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    NHBB makes a lot of crap too. They make the short lived ball joints on 360/430.

I have no idea who made them nor have I ever cared. In any event the bearing manufacturer and the component manufacturer are probably different companies.

14. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    No doubt, again. NHBB ABEC 3 and 5 are "price point" products with nothing but long term reliability headaches waiting for the unwary manufacturer who designs around them. 7 and 7P instrumentation grade stuff is made in a different factory and subjected to entirely different specs and testing requirements. They remain certified for flight instruments. Folks who go cheap on bearings get exactly what they pay for. And downstream product maintenance costs as an added penalty!!

15. root

root Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 28, 2012
    Bay Area, Ca
    Received the old parts and inspected them closely. I see only a little grease thrown out of the tensioner bearings. No evidence of any metal thrown out. Only marking I can see on the bearings is 171057. No brand or any other markings.

16. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #16 Rifledriver, Apr 20, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
    Ferrari has been sourcing bearings from low bidder Asian companies who do not put a brand or logo on them.

It is a big part of why Hill Engineering has built a good business.

This is one of a few areas where in modern times Ferrari has been really stupid.

For their entire history their parts have been expensive and in some cases less than top quality. They got away with that for a long time but greed drove the prices so high, and more recently the quality so low that for even a small manufacturer like Ferrari it finally got so bad it became financially reasonable for competitors like Hill to enter the market place. If they had been a little less greedy they could still have a near monopoly.

Now they are making efforts to monopolize the service of the cars. What a laugh. Just like with their approach to parts, every step taken antagonizes and alienates more of their customer base.

17. root

root Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 28, 2012
    Bay Area, Ca
    That's why I insisted on using HE bearings for the tensioner and the lower cam drive bearings 170787 thanks to your and others' advice here.

18. Canuck550

Canuck550 Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2015
    Incognito
    Full Name:
    RJA
    What is the warranty on those bearings from Ferrari? Assuming they were even installed by Ferrari?

19. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Less than 5 years, for sure.

20. root

root Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 28, 2012
    Bay Area, Ca
    #20 root, Apr 20, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
    They were not installed by Ferrari. They were installed in 2016 by North Coast Exotics in Cleveland as part of "major service" work they performed about a year before I bought the car. That's why I decided to do it again less than 3 years and 700 miles after their work because I was not certain about the completeness and quality of their work. Problem is Ferrari would've probably installed the same type of bearings because they consider the HE bearings to be "aftermarket". So I had to ask a couple of times and gave them Dan's contact details at Ricambi so they can order it directly from him, and they did. I am very happy with their work and their accommodation of my requests.