2004 Z06 ? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

2004 Z06 ?

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by thecarreaper, Mar 15, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    Thanks. I just want a spare / weekend car and have zero plans for mods. The cars have more power than I have talent in stock form. I have an inspection ordered on the ZHZ. Will need to figure out shipping, Houston to Savannah. Dont have time to "drive it back" with my current schedule. Can pay for car today if it passes and they accept an offer.

2. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    Oh well. ZHZ deal dead. Will keep looking. I do like the Z51 and the 05 and later body style. May be scope creep but a Z06 is not mandatory. Great replies and lots to
    read about.

carguyjohn350 likes this.
  3. Eric R

Eric R F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2014
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Full Name:
    Eric R.
    The C6 is a great car too. I would take it over a base C5 but not a C5Z.

4. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Well there is a core of 10 of us racers who beat the living snot out of these cars and valve springs are not out failure. We have probably been though 30 motors over the years. Cf is a great place but certainly no more definative than any of our Fchat timing belt threads.

5. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    called two differnt Ga based dealers from Autotrader ads for yellow C6 with z51 the cars were *just* sold. One was a 6 speed.

Which one of you is buying all the z51s?

There is a 2005 Z51 automatic with 75k miles in Holliston Ma, I like it but they are firm at $19900 and no one wants to ship it. :(

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    :( Geeze. Corvette world Houston has 3!!! yellow z51 C6 vettes.

Made a cash offer on the 06 and the sales guy just stated the $19995 was firm. The fees and shipping seemed reasonable, but I wanted a bit off the price.

sales guru did not even try to push the one for $15k with 120k miles and mods, not that I am interested in that one.

In contention were: a 05 4 speed auto, and a 06 6 speed auto, which I prefer.

One would think a cash / wire transfer offer to a dealer with 3 of the same color / option in stock would allow for a few grand off. :(

Just wow. Still looking.

7. Face76

Face76 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2006
    The Other Oz
    Full Name:
    M Wilborn
    I have a large used car dealer as a client who is successful enough to not require a floor plan on his inventory. It allows him to stay a little more firm on price and wait the buyer out. He has absolutely no pressure to sell you a car since his staff is pretty darn good at selling the inventory to the next person.

8. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    #33 of2worlds, Mar 20, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
    2005 had the Pillsbury Dough Boy steering wheel plus an issue with rear axle seals and also the 2005 spec diff was modified for 2006. As you note the 2006 got a 6 spd auto trans instead of the C4 trans in the 2005 automatic cars. C6 headlight covers become cloudy and replacements are $800. For the C6 the steering gear was improved starting on the 2008 model year plus an extra 30HP that year to. 2008 - 2010 model years are the sweet spot for a Z51 Corvette. The mag ride suspension option included the Z51 brakes starting in if I remember correctly 2007. Also early C6 Corvettes are often advertised with 'new water pump'... Happy Hunting!

9. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    #34 thecarreaper, Mar 20, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
    Bought a 2006 Z51 3LT automatic with 60k miles today. :) Will update later.

PS.... sorry for the mission creep, but remember I started out wanting a second work car, like a wagon or SUV! :) Still have my King Ranch F150 for now.

of2worlds and flat_plane_eddie like this.
  10. Eric R

Eric R F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2014
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Full Name:
    Eric R.
    I live close to Corvettes of Houston and have dealt with them for years. Did you talk to Russell by chance? If not call him. Or if you want me to check one out I will. Not to be picky but the yellow one above would need to have those fake stick on caliper covers removed. Its horrible people do that to make it look like they have aftermarket brakes on it.

11. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    #36 thecarreaper, Mar 21, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
    I bought a stock yellow z51 3LT, 62,000 miles. The one above was in MA and it was a 4 speed auto, 2005 with mods. I liked the overall look, and really like the wheels.

My understanding is real Z06 wheels are too wide on a z51 car so I would have to find replica wheels if I like that look. Paid a deposit, insured the car and doing the wire this morning.
    If you want to go by and see my car be my guest, as i would value your opinion.

I did indeed deal with Russell.

Need to see if the headlight recall has been done, if there is a software update for the 06 flappy paddle gearbox and if it has at least two sets of keys this morning.

Trying to get it shipped (open) from Houston to Rincon Ga , to my friends Chevy dealership for a after-ya-bought-it inspection and detail.

https://www.vettefacts.com/C6/2006.aspx

Only 2816 z51 6 speed flappy paddle coupes were made in 2006.

White was a hard color to find and looking at the production numbers I see why. Wanted a white Z51 originally and gave up.

I needed a second car and was shopping beaters, talk about mission creep! :)

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. Eric R

Eric R F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2014
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Full Name:
    Eric R.
    What are the odds! I drive by every day so I will stop in this afternoon. Stay tuned.

of2worlds and thecarreaper like this.
  13. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Love those fake calipers

14. Eric R

Eric R F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2014
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Full Name:
    Eric R.
    Stopped by and talked to Russell. He showed me the car. Its yellow alright! Clean with nothing out of sorts. New tires and an AUTOMATIC. How could you? JK. Only wear things I noticed were a few rock chips on the lower nose that someone has tried to touch up. The cross flag emblem on the nose has some fade going on. Last the wheels could use a little love. The headlight covers are not cloudy either which is good. Only poked my head inside and everything I knew to look for was in good shape. Overall you appear to have a clean car. Hope you enjoy it.

of2worlds, anunakki and thecarreaper like this.
  15. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    I wanted this to drive to work and weekends. The 6 speed flappy paddle can shift better than I can in most situations and traffic.
    Thanks for looking in on the car, hoping it gets picked up and sent my way soon.

The reference wheel pic that everyone seems to joke about the fake caliper pic: Anybody know what wheels those are? I have looked online but can only find black replicas that look like that?

My understanding is you cant put real GM z06 wheels on the regular C6 because the width and offsets are different (wider) for the z06.

Window tint, wheels and *maybe* an exhaust mod and i am just going to drive the car.

of2worlds likes this.
  16. Eric R

Eric R F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2014
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Full Name:
    Eric R.
    You can put standard Z06 wheels on but they will stick out. The Z06/GS are wide body to cover them. Therefore, those wheels are replicas in standard C6 sizes.

of2worlds likes this.
  17. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Not trying to side track too much but just wanted to say I love the LS6 in my CTSV!

18. Eric R

Eric R F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2014
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Full Name:
    Eric R.
    The LS6 will go down as one of the best engines ever. Way under rated from the factory too.

19. Eric R

Eric R F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2014
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Full Name:
    Eric R.
    Ok, you have had enough time to get the car and play with it. Time to give us an update with your impressions.

20. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    I went to the Chevy dealer to see it for the first time yesterday. Its not ready yet. Has open recalls and I want all the software updates. Tires are from 2013 and it needs wiper blades. Velocity yellow is really cool in person. Never seen one before. Car was outside and locked so still have not sat in a C6 yet, much less driven one. Windows are already tinted. Looking for a test pipe and maybe update the radio to something with a backup camera. Headlights may need to be buffed. No other issues from the dealer inspection.

Thinking about getting a clear top too, used is fine.

Car should be done late this week.

of2worlds, anunakki and Eric R like this.
  21. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    Brought the car home last night. Cold, raining, heavy traffic. Brakes are outstanding, the torque is really intoxicating. Did not notice anything with the steering, read a few articles where testers say its "numb". I grew up with 2nd generation F bodies and the car feels like a mature z28 / WS6 Trans Am. :) Have not tried sport or the paddle shift yet, as I barely got to 60 mph on the way home.

The only thing that does not work: the two 12 volt lighter plugs seem intermittent so the Bel radar detector has no power. May just need to check the fuse and connections as neither plug looks to have ever been used.

Need to find a manual / wiring diagram for an 06 vette if y'all know where a .pdf is. :)

Car needs to be cleaned inside and out also. Will do a nice drive this weekend.

of2worlds likes this.
  22. Eric R

Eric R F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2014
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Full Name:
    Eric R.
    If you lower it at all be advised that you will scrap on some speed bumps and ramps. Other than that your good to go for a daily driver.

of2worlds and thecarreaper like this.
  23. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    Would like to find the red z51 calipers. Maybe a 2nd set of wheels / tires. No plans to lower. Been procrastinating but I need to join one of the Corvette forums now. :)

24. Eric R

Eric R F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2014
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Full Name:
    Eric R.
    Oh boy, your in trouble now. Once you do one little thing there is no stopping.

thecarreaper likes this.