355 - Anyone with SDx can reset airbag module? | FerrariChat

355 Anyone with SDx can reset airbag module?

Discussion in '348/355' started by RCKSTR, Mar 21, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RCKSTR

RCKSTR Karting

I guess when I had my car apart (cluster was out as well), the ignition must have been turned on at one point (thought I was careful, guess not). Anyway my airbag light is on now, the car needs to go for an inspection and I need the light off. There's no SD tool within 300 km of me, can I ship it to someone to have the code cleared?

2. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    You can ship it to me but I'm pretty busy so it may take 1-2 weeks for me to get to it.

3. 97 Spider

97 Spider Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 15, 2012
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Just FYI for people doing this kind of work, I don’t believe it matters one bit about the ignition position, you have to have the battery disconnected before you unplug an airbag or it will set a code.

taz355 likes this.
  4. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
  5. emac

emac Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 14, 2014
    upstate SC
    Full Name:
    ernest
  6. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    So I just realized something guys. The diagnostic port is accessible thru the foot well, but, I don't know about power, etc. the ECU is under the center console. I will look at my photos tomorrow but if this requires removing the center console, sorry, you will need to find another option as I'm not pulling my car apart. I already have one in pieces.

phrogs likes this.
  7. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan

If you have the dash cluster out say for sticky work, don't leave the battery on. If you turn on the ignition with the cluster out you will set the airbag light. You don't need to have touched a airbag.

8. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    #8 Qavion, Mar 21, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
    If we are specifically talking about the instrument cluster being disconnected (rather than the airbags), I think the airbag ECU only checks the warning light circuit when it turns on the light during the 4 second test period (ignition ON). It will be looking for a certain current flow in the circuit. As far as I can see, the ECU provides an earth for the lamp and the car provides power for the lamp (which is only present with the ignition on, via the "AC System" fuse)

If the airbag ECU is (somehow) always monitoring this light circuit (when the battery is connected and powering the ECU):
    With the instrument cluster connected and the ignition off, the ECU will see no current in light circuit (as the car only provides power to the circuit with the ignition ON).
    With the instrument cluster not connected and the ignition off, the ECU will see no current in the light circuit (as the wiring is disconnected).

With the ignition off, as far as I can see, the ECU can't tell the difference between a connected and disconnected light circuit.

I stand to be corrected. Miro? :)

F355 (5.2) Instrument Wiring Diagram

(EDIT: Does the passenger airbag use the instrument cluster plugs?)

9. RCKSTR

RCKSTR Karting

I found these guys, my concern is they reset after hard crash or hard code, I'm not sure my bulb not being in the circuit during power up is the same.. hate to send it there to find out they only clear crash data. I read on another forum the alfa 155 has the same TRW 169710 ecu, after codes are cleared it still needs to go to a shop to have light turned off.

10. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    IIRC, the airbag data is limited. I can post a screenshot tomorrow. Anyone that can access data inside the ECU should be able to do fault clearing

RCKSTR likes this.
  11. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Only takes a phone call of email to find out.

But I remember something else. I thought a few years back this issue was being discussed and someone chimed in and said that the air bad light could be reset by shorting a couple of pins in the diagnostic port. Did a search but could not find a thread about it. Anyone else recall such a discussion? Dave, you good at finding old threads. Want to see if you can find it?

12. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    That has been confirmed to not work

13. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Thanks Dave. I could not remember what the final out come of that thread was.

Dave rocks likes this.
  14. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Here is a photo that shows the location of the airbag ECU. It's just forward of the shifter box. As you can see, at least one connector goes to it (the large red one).

That said, sorry guys but I'm not able to help.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
  16. RCKSTR

RCKSTR Karting

Sad thing is, after it passes inspection I want to take the 90's honda accord looking wheel off and replace with momo. Air bags are a personal choice I dont want in the car. It's a polarized topic, but my choice on my car. I read a thread once that someone had rigged the airbag light to come on with key and go off after 4 seconds, might look into that.

17. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Every area is different but if the airbag fault does not throw a CEL, I know in my area, with a friend inspecting the car, it would pass.

18. RCKSTR

RCKSTR Karting

Definitely has to at least appear to be working here. It is a "safety system"

19. drbob101

drbob101 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 26, 2012
    Tinton Falls, NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob Ferraris
    I’ve had mine reset by the dealer twice and was done with SD in the passenger footwell.

We all poked around that supposed shorting the pin thing in the WSM but no one could get it to work including myself.

20. RCKSTR

RCKSTR Karting

I looked at mine as well, missing the third wire that needs to be grounded

21. RCKSTR

RCKSTR Karting

Thanks for the help guys, light is off, I cheated. Presumably if it is just a lamp code in ecu, airbags will still deploy, until I change the wheel. When I do change wheel I will put resistor in, passenger may still work, may not, dont really care if it does.

22. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Pretty sure last time you did this your car was apart all ready. I could not find a way to reset mine without plugging it in the centre console. If theres a way please let me know.

23. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Just take the dash off and pull the bulb. Others on here have donethat

24. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    I've not done the airbag - I've done the suspension ECU a couple times for guys and the ECU is accessible from the passenger foot well.

25. RCKSTR

RCKSTR Karting

Couldn't just have no bulb as the inspector will check to make sure it lights up, and goes off.