Daytona Alignment Questions | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Daytona Alignment Questions

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Portenos, Mar 19, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    Yes, Rear Negative Camber, is what results from loading the car with Fuel and luggage.
    Thank you Rifedriver for correcting me. As you can tell I am not an alignment guy.
    And thank you to Edward 96GTS re the possibility of weak springs.
    Here are some photos of the car taken today in the trim shop getting a new under hood pad and some sound deadening.
    In the one photo you can see how the rear wheel has a little "negative camber" It gets more pronounced with more weight.
    Ciao,
    FGM
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

of2worlds likes this.
  2. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    #27 TTR, Mar 21, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
    Factory specs are close enough and obviously work since they’ve been used for +/-50 years, but they’re not necessarily exactly “correct” or optimal.

Given specs were likely calculated using preproduction/prototype baseline figures or estimates that didn’t match or materialize in final product and attempting to adhere to them all together, things don’t add up.
    Then again, all factory issued manuals for Daytona are littered with similar inaccuracies or inconsistencies.

Nothing new in automotive manufacturing, but seemingly more common with small scale manufacturers, including Ferrari.

Besides, like Brian pointed out, not many owners drive these anywhere near full capabilities, so setting them to perform correctly or optimal is not important to most.
    OTOH, that’s more than common with all older classic/vintage cars and their restorations, not just Ferraris.

3. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
  4. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Could be photo angles, but left appears less severe than right which appears perhaps a bit excessive and with passengers onboard, both cambers will obviously appear even more "negative".
    When was the last time suspension was fully serviced/rebuilt and adjusted/aligned or at least thoroughly inspected and alignment checked ?

turbo-joe likes this.
  5. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
  6. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    My wheels are factory 9" Borrani wheels.
    I would like to see the same photo of your car with 35 gallons of fuel on board.
    Ciao,
    FGM

7. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    Not sure re the last time the car was aligned, however with a half tank the car steers straight and handles fine at 110MPH!
    Ciao,
    FGM

8. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    factory stock wheels are 7 1/2”
    9” are aftermarket. never supplied that way from factory but a common modification.

miurasv and of2worlds like this.
  9. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour

10. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    In all my 40 years of playing with these Italian cars I have learned to never say never. :)
    Ciao,
    FGM

turbo-joe likes this.
  11. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    In all my 40 years of playing with these Italian cars I have learned to never say never.
    Ciao,
    FGM

12. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Then I'd recommend taking the car to have alignment & suspension at least checked/inspected.

13. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    Although that is very safe advise I still have not heard from any guys who have loaded their Daytona and noticed what I'm seeing on my car.
    How about it does anyone take their car on road trips any more?
    Ciao,
    Frank

14. westextifosi

westextifosi Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 20, 2009
    Lubbock, TX
    Full Name:
    Tex Timberlake
    My Daytona goes on a 1000+ mile vintage rally each year and has for the last 10 years.

15. DWR46

DWR46 Formula 3
    Honorary

Jun 19, 2012
    Frank: Until you get your car set up on factory spec, nobody, including yourself can give any intelligent comments about how the car appears or drives. Daytona's are easy to align (though somewhat time consuming), you can purchase a selection of the "factory" shims, or just use "standard" American alignment shims. Just find a good shop with state-of-the-art equipment.

turbo-joe, Rifledriver and TTR like this.
  16. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    So when you load it with 35 gallons of fuel, luggage and passenger, how does it sit and what does the rear tires do re the camber?
    Just asking.
    Ciao,
    FGM

17. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    Yes, I understand the benefits of a 4 wheel alignment, but the question is simply this.
    Does your Daytona "duck squat" when fully loaded with fuel, luggage and passenger? It is a pretty simple question. Yes, no, a little or not at all.
    FGM

18. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    If under those conditions the alignment is correct we know a Daytona is going to squat to a noticeable degree. It becomes a matter of how much and my Mark 1A eyeball is no replacement for a good alignment rack and a guy who knows how to use it.

TTR likes this.
  19. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Or maybe optimal for how you intend to use it. Like I said, I have never been afraid to experiment some with alignment settings.

TTR likes this.
  20. Tinbender

Tinbender Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 13, 2004
    Raleigh,Lake Lure,NC
    Full Name:
    Terry W. Phillips
    Look at the picture just posted in the Official Daytona Pictures thread

turbo-joe likes this.
  21. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Yes, the last one of the white Spider driving away is about what I would expect to see. Also the blue Coupe in post 1400 on the prior page.

22. westextifosi

westextifosi Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 20, 2009
    Lubbock, TX
    Full Name:
    Tex Timberlake
    Hardly any change in camber. Have you checked your springs?

23. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    My car has much the same camber as yours has, in the photo above, I have never noticed that it gets more pronounced with a full load, mine has fairly new springs and shocks.

I will take a photo later for you.

24. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Yes.