Ferrari A1 | FerrariChat

Ferrari A1

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by Formula1Fan, Oct 8, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Formula1Fan

Formula1Fan Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2006
    Hot Springs Village
    Full Name:
    Jerry Schutz
    Someone has to start this one, so I guess I will. Ferrari is in discussions with Formula A1 to become its vehicle supplier. What a boon to Ferrari fans, Ferrari, and especially A1. My first thought was for Formula 1 and A1 to race the same circuits (where the schedules could be matched) on the same weekends, but realized that the pits along would prevent this. So how about consecutive weekends? I know I would love to travel to a place where this was available.

2. Ambassiatore

Ambassiatore Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2007
    Full Name:
    David Figueredo T.
    ...this will be great for F1 startegy, trying to get some data out the car on tracks to come, or even the same trcs, DEVELOPING TIME WILL SHORTEN!...well, and Research and Development budget will rise

3. Dubai Vol

Dubai Vol Formula 3

Aug 12, 2005
    back in Dubai
    Full Name:
    Scot Danner
    The A1 series runs in the F1 off-season, for the most part, and the cars are substantially different, not to mention that other teams would not be too keen on the idea of Ferrari having a development series that would give them an edge. The real advantage to Ferrari will be the ability to keep on all those staff members who become redundant as F1 is made more and more a spec series, and the use of plant and eqiuipment more efficiently, using it to build dozens of cars rather than two. Sounds like a potentially great business arrangement, and certainly a boost in prestige for A1GP.

Note the conspicuous absence of Dubai, the home of A1GP founder Sheikh Maktoum Hasher Maktoum Al Maktoum, on the series calendar:

http://www.a1gp.com/Circuit/circuitInfo.aspx

The first year nobody turned up to watch the race, and the sheikh said, "well if nobody comes we just won't come back to Dubai!" And they haven't. edit:In fact the sheikh has since sold his stake in the series, I see....

4. TopElement

TopElement Formula 3

May 14, 2005
    OC & Vegas
    Full Name:
    A Montoya
    Yes, A1GP is completely different from F1. In some ways better, like no traction control, but much lower technology.
    You are mistaken about the Ferrari team members becoming "redundant." If anything, with F1 being made "more and more a spec series" as you think, those extra people are even more valuable in finding the tiniest improvements to get an edge.
    Furthermore, the F1 division already stays busy year round. It is not equipped to build dozens of spec cars. They already provide 4 cars (a complete one in parts) for every single F1 race. If there's a crash, that's yet another car they have to build.

5. hycian

hycian Karting

Apr 6, 2005
  6. Dubai Vol

Dubai Vol Formula 3

Aug 12, 2005
    back in Dubai
    Full Name:
    Scot Danner
  7. shahedc

shahedc Formula 3

Jun 4, 2007
    Washington DC
    If this is true, then it will become even more irrelevant in the region when F1 goes to Abu Dhabi in 2009.

Or maybe A1GP will become more popular since there will be only one F1 race there, and the fans will have to flock to A1GP races to get their racing fix.

~shahedc

8. Gemm

Gemm Formula 3

Aug 19, 2005
    Essex, England
  9. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    Also an article on Autosport this morning confirming a 6 year deal -> The first A1GP chassis to be designed by Ferrari will be loosely based on the Italian manufacturer's current Formula One car, this week's Autosport reports.

The deal for Ferrari to build engines and supply chassis designs was confirmed on Thursday morning, and the new cars will be ready to race in time for the 2008/09 season. Ferrari will also supply the engines and consult on the design and manufacture of the chassis for A2GP – a new regional open-wheel feeder series to A1GP. Testing is scheduled to begin for the series in 2009.

Teixeira said: ‘Partnering with a world-class organisation like Ferrari will officially position A1GP one of the most significant motorsport series’ in the world.’

A1GP race this weekend is Brno in the Czech Republic (Enge possibly driving for the Czech Republic). Season started in NL and finished 4 May at Brands Hatch. Heck of a good deal (far, far superior to the F1 race price) - this weekend at Brno a paddock pass is 12 Euro and a grandstand seat is 20 Euro for the weekend. Closest they come to us is Mexico City on 16 March.

Carol

10. Formula1Fan

Formula1Fan Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2006
    Hot Springs Village
    Full Name:
    Jerry Schutz
    Also important to both parties is the branding "Powered by Ferrari".

11. Ambassiatore

Ambassiatore Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2007
    Full Name:
    David Figueredo T.
    ...any chance we can bring to F1 the Push To Pass button along from A1GP?...that will help the show without that much of an "engineering change"...

12. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    OK, this is great news. Why? Because in 5-10 years, maybe I can afford a used genuine Ferrari race car for track days!

13. johnhoughtaling

johnhoughtaling Formula 3

Nov 6, 2002
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    John William H.
    Any more news on the Ferrari A1 or A2. any pics? Man, a Ferrari A2 would make one hell of a track car. Anyone know if they are going to be for sale to non-team owners. Anyone have any more info???

14. Tifoso1

Tifoso1 F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Pacific NW
    Full Name:
    Anthony C.
    I wasn't able to find it on their website, what type of engine is used in A1GP? Will Ferrari be able to use A1GP as a development arena for engine parts and more importantly, engineers and pit crew? Maybe even future drivers?

15. 444sp

444sp Formula Junior

Dec 18, 2016
    crinoid likes this.
  16. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Where any of these Ferrari A1GP cars purchased by collectors ???

17. kylec

kylec F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2005
    Orlando
    crinoid likes this.
  18. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name: