car design thread | Page 323 | FerrariChat

car design thread

Discussion in 'Creative Arts' started by jm2, Oct 19, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Video: Worst Trends in Modern Cars and Trucks

Most of the fault probably rests with the Product Planners, but the Designers are then required to implement these new "improvements." Includes stuck-on infotainment screens, fake vents and scoops, rear exhaust pipes from nowhere, piano black gloss plastic, and [drum roll] big wheels and tires. :eek:

2. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    As I've said in previous posts, there will come a time when the designers will have to answer for 'crimes against the automobile'
    big wheels are just one of them..........and I include myself in the docket! Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. Qvb

Qvb F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2003
    Newport Beach Ca.
    Full Name:
    John Dixon
    ModernLou, Texas Forever and jm2 like this.
  4. energy88

Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    ModernLou, colombo2cam and jm2 like this.
  5. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
  6. energy88

Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    Tend to agree with you on the side profile. IMHO they should have tried to emulate the Lexus/Avalon profile. Rear is typical Caddy.

However, I like the front end- a breath of fresh air yet a remembrance of traditional Cadillac. Looks like they took their inspiration from a 1958 Caddy Eldorado, modernized. My 2 cents.

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

of2worlds likes this.
  7. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    John, they have ruined your work!!!!!

jm2 likes this.
  8. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    The 58 Eldo is big and bold! :D

But yes, from the front... much better.

9. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    :eek:

10. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
  11. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner

Interesting car, but maybe to simple looking. That site automobiliac was run by a son of a long time attendee of the Ferrari Expo in Chicago, Bradley Price. I wish he still updated it as he always found cool cars to write about. Brad also owns the watchmaker Autodromo.

12. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    jm2 likes this.
  13. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Apologies if this has already been addressed, but one of the things Im most curious about is how certain designs look 'eh' in photos but great in person.

How much emphasis do pro designers put in the product looking great in images vs real life?

I would think images are far more important than real life these days. If it doesnt look great in images people arent going to bother to go see it in person. You need to get the person into the showroom.

Yet it seems we are in a time where I hear 'doesnt look great in pics but in person its gorgeous' more than ever. That seems to be the opposite of how id approach it.

14. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Interesting question.
    Sometimes, the 'official' Ferrari photos don't seem to do the real car justice. Sometimes product photos come across as 'mug shots'. Much like human beings......photos and reality sometimes are not quite the same.
    Check out the dating sites lately? Seen any mug shots of famous people? Glamor shots help make the people look better, but actually seeing them changes things. And yet, there are times when the photos look better than the real thing!

I believe the eye 'reads' photos and digital differently than reality. There is much emphasis lately of doing design without 3D models and doing everything on 2D screens or virtual reality. Having used both, I can tell you that I can use digital 2D and VR reviews, but I much prefer having a real 3D model to walk around, to touch and feel, to make design judgements. Old school, yes.There's just something about having the real object in front of you.

We used to spend a great deal of time and energy with our photographs trying to get the right 'look' of both our clay models and the production cars for the advertising shots. We would assign a designer that worked on the car to work with the photographer to capture the right lighting and angles. Yet having done that, it still was not the same as having the real car in front of you. Maybe it's how our brain is wired to read actual objects in 3D versus viewing a 2D image. Looking at photos of the Sistine Chapel Ceiling, and seeing the real thing are not quite the same. I can't remember if there have been scientific studies as to how our brains 'read' objects. I'm guessing there have been numerous studies conducted, but i'm not familiar with them.

That's one of the reasons I like to hold off making judgements about a car until I see the real car........not photoshopped, altered, enhanced images.
    We've all heard the saying 'photos don't do it justice'. There's some truth in that. Maybe future generations will be more adept at looking at photos, VR than the actual objects.

To answer your question directly, a great deal of time and energy go into creating the images that are released to the public. Sometimes with more success than others.

of2worlds, Boomhauer and anunakki like this.
  15. Qvb

Qvb F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2003
    Newport Beach Ca.
    Full Name:
    John Dixon
    375+ and jm2 like this.
  16. energy88

Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    Lexus will be introducing its first self-driving car in 2020. However, there are several catches: (1) car is for highway driving only, and (2) management has issued a warning that it will be very, very expensive.

Car looks nice…:) ...
    But, Catch #3- The final product might not look as sleek as above due to all the sensors. This is what is expected to unveiled this summer; a modded LS. :eek:

17. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    So the real challenge for the future is how all the sensors will be integrated into the design.

18. energy88

Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    But on a more positive note, I expect people will get out of your way when they look in their rearview mirror as you come up on them in the fast lane.:D

anunakki and Texas Forever like this.
  19. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    For as long as they’ve been doing that............I have never been able to ‘deal’ with it.
    It’s just ‘not right’ IMHO. Whatever. I’m not their target customer.

anunakki and Texas Forever like this.
  20. 330 4HL

330 4HL Formula 3

May 12, 2005
    Vancouver
    Full Name:
    Rick Bradner
    #8072 330 4HL, Mar 24, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2019
    Man, I can't tell you how many hours I've spent thinking about this over the years!
    I think there is just so much info happening when you see a car in 3D (in person), that you don't realize your brain is processing.
    Every imperceptible movement (tilting your head, clouds,etc.) gives depth to the image your brain sees as a "movie", so you can feel the volume in front of you. Context is constantly changing - I would also hazard a guess that the ongoing internal processing of ours brains has different inputs resulting from a more complex environment when we see something in person.
    My basic thinking is that the number of informational inputs for 3D is a substantial multiple of 2D (ie: 2D cubed/per viewing second)

21. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    I’m sure the VR/video game/computer companies have done countless studies dealing with how our brains process visual stimuli vs. actually seeing an object. Maybe future generations will be ‘wired’ to read 2D images the same as reality. I’m too old for that to happen!
    I’ve been able to spend hundreds of hours looking at virtual reality displays, evaluating design proposals..........it ain’t the same as seeing the actual object. Sorry.

of2worlds and Texas Forever like this.
  22. 330 4HL

330 4HL Formula 3

May 12, 2005
    Vancouver
    Full Name:
    Rick Bradner
    jm2 likes this.