430-NSX-430 | FerrariChat

430-NSX-430

Discussion in '360/430' started by michaelo, Mar 23, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. michaelo

michaelo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2006
    Tn.
    Full Name:
    Michael O.
    Just drove my 430 to a friend's dealership, hopped in a 3100 mile silver NSX, went for a drive and then got
    back into my 430 to go home. Goodness! Frankly, I was shocked at the performance of that car. Mine felt decidedly "old school". Performance automobiles have come a long way in a little over a decade.

2. bocaf430

bocaf430 Formula 3

Jun 10, 2014
    LI, boca raton
    which do you prefer?

3. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Uhhhh...what year nsx?

4. michaelo

michaelo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2006
    Tn.
    Full Name:
    Michael O.

5. Jean-Pierre Marchand

Jean-Pierre Marchand Formula Junior
    BANNED

Mar 21, 2019
    Mont Royal, QC
    Full Name:
    Just call me J.P.
    The most basic new NSX (about $155,000) is an exotic car bargain. Mind you, one can option them out to $200,000, but none of that stuff effects the performance.

6. michaelo

michaelo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2006
    Tn.
    Full Name:
    Michael O.
    While I would acknowledge that owning the NSX would be rather pain free compared to Ferrari ownership, at the same time
    my heart didn't skip a beat when I saw it. That is too important to me when it comes to toys like this. On another note, yet in some ways related,
    I checked on a Ferrari 458 at Ferrari of Austin and was told that the dealer had no interest in working a trade for my 430. Evidently the clientele has changed significantly and it seems no one is interested in a car without all of the current bells and whistles. I guess "old school" is out!!!!
    I found it rather humorous but it seems a lot of my dealings with Ferrari dealers in the last few months have resulted in some very odd
    attitudes and strange conversations. The NSX contains all of the hyper-computerized, interactive features that seem to push the buttons of the current clientele.
    This is also spilling into the younger Ferrari customers and I really think a major page has turned. I hope I am wrong. But I love my 430 for the very reason
    that I was turned down by that dealer. It has buttons and stalks and a radio with two knobs and simple controls. I can actually work on a few things myself.
    Sorry for the long answer.

Manda racing, VAF84 and 360trev like this.
  7. michaelo

michaelo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2006
    Tn.
    Full Name:
    Michael O.
    The thing that I noticed was that it didn't feel overly special until I nailed the throttle and then it became a monster. The handling is ridiculous.
    I guess the point is that having that much performance requires always driving it aggressively. The exhaust doesn't really speak until you are
    really nailing it even using the most aggressive driving mode. This is weird, but it felt like a really well put together Japanese coupe until you got on it and then it felt special.
    I have a basic problem with huge horsepower since you really can't use it except on a race track. I will admit that the 430 felt rather slow compared to the NSX. I would never fault anyone for wanting one. They are really well put together. The trunk is tiny and there is very little room inside, though comfortable.
    The 430 feels palatial by comparison. I thought about it all the way home and when I pulled into my garage I realized that I wouldn't stroll out to the garage
    to just look at the NSX like I would the Ferrari. The NSX is way better looking in the flesh than in pictures, however.

8. c6vette

c6vette Karting

Jun 4, 2009
    St. Petersburg
    I got rid of a 2017 Camaro ZL1 in order to buy my 2005 430. That chevy had ALL the bells and whistles. I don't miss that car at all when compared to the 430 so I guess I'm in the minority. Couldn't care less about all the tech when my V8 runs to 8500 rpm!

Manda racing and LARRYH like this.
  9. cole328

cole328 Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    No disrespect anyone,, but this is a comical thread. I totally appreciate the technology of the NSX, and loved it when it first made its debuted, but driving that car must be akin to driving a jetson mobile If you are a Ferrari guy, IMHO there is no way you also are a Japanese NSX Guy Two different worlds

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

10. michaelo

michaelo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2006
    Tn.
    Full Name:
    Michael O.
    I think that was point of this thread. Once you go with Ferrari it is hard to go with anything else. I am not sure that you picked that up.

11. kreh

kreh Karting

Feb 21, 2006
    OC
    Full Name:
    Kim Reh
  12. SCKOMS

SCKOMS F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 21, 2011
    Lake County, IL
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    I traded my V10 R8 spyder for a 2017 NSX and I regret it.

I'm glad I didn't trade my 430!

Sent from my Galaxy

Manda racing and Way2fast like this.
  13. cole328

cole328 Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    Roger that....was distracted talking to my wife while typing (a future no no)! yes, totally agree that the Ferrari is one special car. As I said originally, I LOVED the NSX when it made its debut back in the day, but now that I own an F430, I am already looking ahead a few years when I upgrade to the 458. Have a great day guys

VAF84 likes this.
  14. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

im a 360 guy and a 300zx guy. Does that count? :)

15. Tamahal

Tamahal Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2019
    Full Name:
    TAMAHAL
    I just got my 430 3 days ago and I’m also looking ahead to upgrading to a 458 in a few years.. lol

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

VAF84 likes this.
  16. djempire

djempire Formula Junior

Apr 30, 2012
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Serf
    Technology will always impress the younger gen regardless if used in a car or on a millennial's devices. The pre turbo era Ferrari will always be regarded as one of the best exotic sports cars for exactly the reason the OP was turned down for a trade. "Old School" may not be the rage right now, but wait until craze is over.

cole328 likes this.
  17. kiryu

kiryu Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2016
    Los Angeles
    the nsx is heavily discounted and still no one buys them, available all day for 110-120 for a car that's a couple of years old and that best shows the market's reaction to that car. Wicked fast yes, but as far as exotic car appeal goes it just cant compete with the emotional level of a ferrai, heck not even porsches perhaps. So far the only kind of pple who told me they like the new NSX are under 23 and plays a lot of video games. My wife says when it drops to about 60k she will pick one up as grocery getter lol

18. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    #18 LightGuy, Mar 27, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2019
    I've driven both.
    Hard.

When test driving the NSX I expected a heavy numb simulation of driving because of all the "expert" reviews.
    Far from it. While it did not have my first gen NSX's non-power steering directness the feeling was no different than my Porsche GT2's.
    I didnt feel the criticized heavy weight at all but then again I wasnt on a track.
    Wouldnt take it to a track anyhow.
    Nor a 430 or even a Scud.
    Want a track car... buy a formula Mazda or Spec Miata even.

What I DO vividly remember was the crazy nutso acceleration and feeling of complete control.

Would I buy one ?
    YES ! (Once depreciation has settled down).

I have no desire at all for a F1 430.
    BUT... a 430 Scud is a different animal. My next Ferrari ?
    The slow old dog it is ;)

ShineKen and Manda racing like this.
  19. LightGuy

Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    Most people that knock the car have never driven one hard.

BTW I'm not a huge fan of "the market".
    "The market" nixed 2X6 Dinos, E30 M3's, manual shift 430s and 599s and the first gen of NSXs.
    "The market" drooled all over Californias.

Chris Harris calls the Gen 2 NSXs a bargain 918.
    He nailed it.

Manda racing likes this.
  20. Manda racing

Manda racing Formula 3

Feb 25, 2015
    Bakersfield, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I saw one out at Willow Springs a couple weeks ago— took me a minute to figure out what it was.

21. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    i have a love hate relationship with my 430.
    i love it because it is my beater ferrari. i dont really care too much about what happens to it, and so i drive it frequently, park where ever, let the valet park it, let the car wash guys move it around, sometimes dont drive it for weeks and then switch the battery back on and warm it up and go tearing around at 100mph. its just a very solid car that seems to absorb abuse without much issue.

some people have offered to buy it at 80k, even 85k, but i cannot think of something that i can replace it with that would be as much fun with the right temperament, and the right solidity at that price. i think i got a monday car.
    i do know what i would replace it with, but it would cost me 20-25k+ more to do so.

and sometimes i hate it because it does not have the same speed as some machines that dont look as good.
    but that is forgiven.

22. Fabspeed Motorsport

Sponsor

Feb 5, 2009
    Fort Washington, PA
    Full Name:
    John S
    This is a fantastic thread. It is so hard to compare the these two vehicles. The NSX is a fantastic beast at an amazing price point it has all the bells and whistles that one could hope. (minus the autolift function). Where as the 430 is an icon of its time and a timeless classic.

Comparing these cars is like comparing the first smartphone versus today's smartphones yes they are totally different but if it was not for that first smartphone we would not be where we are today.

Onto the actual comparison

As a bigger driver there is not a supercar more comfortable than the nsx it's got plenty for room for the driver.
    The 430 is not bad for bigger drivers but I am pretty sure it was not made for me.

As far as the actual drive: The NSX today do not let you do anything wrong. The 430 has no problem letting make the mistake and letting you you know you made the mistake.

My conclusion:
    Both are fantastic but the NSX edges out on ease of use, where as the Ferrari is overall a better driving experience.

23. LightGuy

Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    #23 LightGuy, Mar 28, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2019
    The one problem I had with the new NSX was getting in and out. The overhead side airbag protrudes into the cabin enough to make head clearance entry/exist for a large person or old timer a bit of an issue. Some of the bare aluminum interior bits look cheesy.

Other than that the car is a rocket ship. If "driving experience" = s*** eating grin I'll take the NSX.
    Plus the new Orange is stellar.

I hope it continues to fail miserably and depreciates for years like the gen1 NSX did.
    Then I'll scoop one up at the bottom of the market and grin like the Cheshire cat.

24. skip737

skip737 Karting

Dec 31, 2008
    Lodi, New York
    Full Name:
    WJH
    I don't think that I will be replacing my 16M with an NSX any time soon. I test drove one ($205,000). Yes, nice car. But, no soul. The 16M is looking better and better the longer I have it.

randkin and ShineKen like this.
  25. LightGuy

Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    #25 LightGuy, Mar 31, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2019
    "Soul" is an available option.
    I think its $3,000 on the NSX..
    Ferrari charges $15,000 but it comes in a package that includes badges.

Bob in Makiki likes this.