Ferrari needs to stop using tan carpets | FerrariChat

Ferrari needs to stop using tan carpets

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Robb, Mar 20, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    I really have not seen any Ferrari’s where the tan carpets look good...

It seems to always look dingy, faded, old, or just meh...

I’m not talking about it needing a clean or vacuum. It’s mainly the tan color in particular they settled on.

I wish new owners would just spec black as a standard even with tan seats and leather as it always looks sharp and fantastic as a contrasting detail in special cars. Too much tan for US cars just seems to be standard and I wish we could get away from that. I’m not buying new but hopefully people spec’ing the cars could try the black!

You don’t see tan in the euro or uk cars.

Who’s with me in the mutiny? :D

Robb

2. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    Mine is euro and has tan carpet and mats. I don't mind the look but it gets grubby easily. I swapped the tan mats for black ones for a nice contrast... much better.

kes7u and Robb like this.
  3. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    They have a dark brown that looks great with tan upholstery. Don't blame Ferrari for tan carpets. People can get whatever they want. in the early 80s tan became popular and now people have it stuck in their mind.

I'm 360 Canuck and Robb like this.
  4. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    I am blaming people that need a better sense of design or aesthetics. :D

Ferrari can help them by releasing their press cars and promo cars without the tan carpets!

Because just like clothing, people tend to buy what’s on the mannequins.

Robb

steved033 likes this.
  5. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    I had dark brown carpet with tan seats in my GTB and it was a great look. Much better than Ferrari's tan.

Robb likes this.
  6. kes7u

kes7u Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2017
    Shorewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Same idea here. I just received my black mats a few days ago. Can't wait to see how they look this weekend! What kind did you get?

Kevin

Robb likes this.
  7. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    BANNED Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    I love the tan interior on my 328 and just discovered i had a beautiful set of coco brown floor matts in my closet for years that I forgot about , they look so good, that I just ordered the same color dash cover ..

8. salbrech

salbrech Karting

Dec 20, 2013
    I also absolutely cannot stand the tan carpets. I really hate them, on all cars or trains or in real estate.

When I bought my red/tan F355 back in 2014 in Switzerland, there were 25 cars on offer in red/tan, 24 with tan carpets, 1 with black carpets.

I bought the one with black carpets, which also came with red floor mats above the original black floor mats. My F355 dream combination luckily ❤️

Robb likes this.
  9. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
  10. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    kes7u and Dave rocks like this.
  11. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Contrasting interior colors look better than full-color interiors. At least when the contrasting colors go well together, which black does with everything as you say.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Julia, 308 milano and Robb like this.
  12. 53ford

53ford Karting

Nov 13, 2009
    I have a yellow 308 with all black interior. It's the Newman car, a lovely restoration that has well stood the test of time, the whole interior was new a few years ago. Not long after purchase, due to a late night spell of online shopping I was the bemused recipient of some nice new horsey floormats. Cost a small fortune, black with big yellow cavallinos, just beautiful. They live in one closet or another and I stumble upon them from time to time. They're too nice for me, I should have bought good red zin instead. The ones that came with it were new anyway. One possible use for your new mats, when your wife says she has new shoes just pull out the mats and one up her. Maybe she'll kink up and walk on you with her new shoes while you lay on your new mats. That may or may not be interesting. Well hopefully you'll like it. She's going to do it anyway.

13. jjtjr

jjtjr Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2016
    Vermont
    Full Name:
    john truskowski
    Dave rocks likes this.
  14. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    I think everyone gets the point: Taste is very subjective ;)

Boomhauer and Nospinzone like this.
  15. papou

papou Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2012
    plantation Fla
    Full Name:
    daniel ross
    My 456m had tan I used it as a DD put clear mats over and never had a problem.
    My FF has black that show every thing so I use the same mats work great.

16. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    love tan carpets. a little contrast is good (stitching, black dash) but black carpets never look great with an otherwise tan interior. either go all black or mostly tan. which is how most cars are spec-ed anyhow

Robb likes this.
  17. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    Super cheap ones from ebay Australia. Fit perfect.

18. JCR

JCR F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    H-Town, Tejas
    Looks navy blue to me.

19. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Yes, it is. Sorry if I was not clear as I was agreeing black carpets match with anything as the OP said in his first post. I was just posting an example of a contrasting interior, which is one of my favorites.

The car photographed is a "highline" version of the E38. For the US, it was either midnight blue or orinocco (green). The blue came with a blue/beige interior and green came with a green/beige interior. Here is a green one, which I think still looks great: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2001-bmw-740il-19/

More info here: http://www.e38registry.org/what-exactly-makes-a-us-market-740il-a-highline-and-why-did-some-come-from-bmw-individual/

Robb likes this.
  20. Julia

Julia F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 22, 2014
    Houston
    I love that highline interior. I was looking for a nice highline 740iL, but got suckered into a black/black V12. :)

Robb, I agree with you on the tan, especially once the cars get a little age on them.

Robb and BMW.SauberF1Team like this.
  21. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Contrast will always provide more interest no matter the colors combined.

But the “tan” or “beige” fibers Ferrari sources really make the carpet look like something you would find left over lining an outdoor dog house... :D

Ouch!

Robb

22. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    I went and looked at a Boxster once. Silver. Sharp car from the outside, factory hardtop, pretty nice. opened the door.....SEAFOAM green inside. :confused:

sjd

Robb likes this.
  23. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    The color is actually called Castoro

Robb likes this.
  24. Moopz

Moopz F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 29, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    This rings true for me because it was one of my wish list items when I was looking for a 430 spider many years ago. When I saw the dealer pictures with the black carpeting I was sold.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Robb likes this.
  25. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    I guess I'm with you Robb. To each their own but the beige/tan carpets of the older cars sometimes look like they have a gold/yellow hue and with a tan/cuoio leather interior it clashes. Black carpets solve this and adds good contrast. So does Alcantara or leather on the floor but that's for a very special build.

I have a German car with beige carpets that is quite lovely though. With polished burlwood trim and offsetting darker colors from the same pallet on the dash and doors it all looks great so it can work.

Robb likes this.