Upset Neighbor - Car too loud | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Upset Neighbor - Car too loud

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by 2012-458, Mar 23, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Was about to say- what exhaust do u have.Are u new to
    Ur neighborhood ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    I’d continue to rev it very, very loud !

Sent from my 16M

Gh21631 likes this.
  3. 2012-458

2012-458 Karting

Nov 10, 2015
    I’ve been here over a year. Barely drive the car. And when I do it’s at reasonable times of the day.

Not too worried about it as I’ve learned you can’t please everybody. I’ll stay respectful and hopefully it’s a nonissue. I’ll be moving into my new home in about a year anyways.

ScottS likes this.
  4. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    If I leave for an early morning drive, I start the car with the garage door closed to give the engine a chance to build vacuum to close the exhaust valves. Then drive off slowly. But yeah, as others noted you may need to deal with this person if there’s an HOA. Pity he/she won’t tell you who they are so you can try to work it out.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

5. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    Neighbor should have manned up and talked to you face to face. Kind of weak with the anonymous note. F- em go test pipes.

Thecadster and R&D like this.
  6. JimPVB

JimPVB Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2016
    Florida
    My gated community actually has a prohibition against loud motorcycles, Harley's are not even allowed on the property (by name). I did two things to deal with this on my Ferraris. I installed the remote exhaust valve controller (leave them closed while on the property, open them as I drive out the gate), and for initial start of a cold engine, during problematic hours, I programmed my garage door with a 2 sec. delay after pressing the open button. This allows for that initial start sound to subside as the door is opening. These are my DD's, not interested in dealing with complaining neighbors.

One more thing that helps is a personal relationship with those around me, invitations are always extended to all of our parties, and they've all received offers to drive my cars if interested (while that has been received well, none have accepted). It's easy to say "F***'em," that's the first thing that comes to mind, but sometimes better to dialogue with those affected (and in doing that, always best to listen calmly before responding).

Jim

7. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Yea, I have a neighbor with a 458 and a Harley and I hear him when he goes by early on a Sat. or Sunday morning. It annoys the hell out of me .......... because he didn't call me to drive my 612 or ride my Harley with him. I tell ya I feel like the OP's neighbor, I get no respect, no respect at all! :D

stretchgeneral and Gh21631 like this.
  8. hanz

hanz Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 24, 2014
    ive had a similar issue with my neighbour (who is pretty old), my only solution is to creep out with the rpm as low as possible as soon as i turn on the car....my neighbour even complained when i put the cover on my car when i traveled as he didnt like the sight of it when he looked out his window....some people just live to complain and hate.

my philosophy is as long as your trying your best to be considerate and your car doesnt infringe the legal noise limit i.e. is completely road legal, then theres not much more i can do about it.

stavura and obbob like this.
  9. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Put up some security cams and find out which neighbor it is.

10. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    I have good neighbors. No one has complained in years of owning loud cars. I de-catted my 991tts and that thing was LOUD. The 488 isn't as loud as the 458 but I have modded the exhaust and no one has complained. No HOA either so if someone doesn't like it they have to lump it anyway. I have lived here 21 years and know all the neighbors. This is something that I am concerned with when buying a new house. We are looking to buy in a gated community and it has a 15mph speed limit which isn't a problem but I don't know about noise restrictions.

11. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Couldn’t have said it better, very good response. Sounds like op doing a good job already and is respectful. Controller is key.
    With so many d bag responses to op it’s no surprise why a note is anonymous.

of2worlds and JimPVB like this.
  12. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

If you can find out who left the note maybe you can ask him or her how he or she would like you to handle the current situation. Maybe there could be a meeting of the minds. Although it sounds like sour grapes to me. I think that’s the question I would pose. Best ,Kirk.

RWP137, Rifledriver and JimPVB like this.
  13. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    I'd ignore it. That simple. Someone wiser than me once said not everything requires a response.
    I moved away from those types of neighborhoods-- and voted down the HOA proposal in my current neighborhood. Besides, like someone said, it's a car. They make noise.

14. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    If you haven't altered the exhaust, then by law, it must meet the FMVSS (federal motor vehicle safety standards) which include exhaust noise. Since the Federal Government and local law guidelines say the car meets all the standards, you really shouldn't have a problem. Surprising the author said 'you and your car'. Kinda making it personal.
    HOA = :(

If you have altered your exhaust however.............

15. kandi

kandi Formula 3

Jun 27, 2014
    And do some burnouts? ;)

stavura, KC360 FL and plastique999 like this.
  16. Jean-Pierre Marchand

Jean-Pierre Marchand Formula Junior
    BANNED

Mar 21, 2019
    Mont Royal, QC
    Full Name:
    Just call me J.P.
    Get a Bentley. It will be as quiet as a church mouse yet they will still find a way to be angry with you.

jumpinjohn likes this.
  17. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Really?? Someone old! You have a social-path to deal with not age. Had a 30yr old neighbor that had a grass fetish,a property line fetish. He got to the part he began placing hidden spikes on his side of the property whereby if our lawn man crossed over it making a turn tires would be punctured, mowing heights a constant point of aggression. Spraying herbicides etc. Car exhaust ,teenage kids over our house another source of his verbal confrontations.

18. stretchgeneral

stretchgeneral Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 9, 2014
    MA/TX
    Full Name:
    McK
    Ok Paul! I hear you! Will give you notice next time and you are right, I don't drive by quietly!

19. R&D

R&D Karting

Mar 16, 2015
    USA
    Full Name:
    Kris
    Easy. Just put test pipes on the car and drive around the neighborhood in 1st gear at 8,500 RPM. Everyone will go deaf and then they won't have to listen to your car anymore. Problem solved.

20. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    I'd write "will do" and post the note back where you found it.

I used to race down the road to my house in the 360. One night one of my neighbors heard me coming up the hill and ran out to the end of his driveway and flipped me off as I drove past lol. I stopped and reversed back to where he was standing and asked what is the matter? He told me they have kids and hear me driving by too fast all the time. I apologized, said he was totally right and I was out of line. I introduced myself and told him it won't happen again.

Every night since then, I have driven slowly through our neighborhood and specifically would click the Ferrari and motorcycles into neutral and coast by this gentleman's house to keep the noise down for him and his family. We've since become good friends with them and we have lived in our area for over 10 years.

A few years back a huge storm swept through and downed something like 30 or 40 pine trees. I dragged my chainsaws out with my neighbor and spent 3 days in the rain opening up the road so PG&E could get in and turn everyone's power back on. Nobody even mentioned how loud my modified chainsaws were! :)

Ray

21. JimPVB

JimPVB Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2016
    Florida
    Guys, it's easy to sit at home and comfortably give the "F*** him" advice, and throw out some funny one-liners, but we have no way of knowing how crazy the author may be, I still think dialogue (if it's possible) before test pipes, is the way to go in this case. I certainly wouldn't advise increasing the sound level....but hey....he's the one that could be laid out in the driveway....not us....

(Most adversarial escalations seem to start with these minor confrontations.)

Jim

rssf, PJxxx and ScottS like this.
  22. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    I empathize with the OP. In our community, the Association has property Nazis whose job it is to go around with pen and paper and cite 'deficiencies'. We've been written up for tiny specs of mold on the driveway, weeds on the property border (emigrated from the undeveloped lot next door which is not maintained), and best of all, improper storage of garbage can because the bushes hiding it weren't tall enough.

No letters about the 458 yet, but I wonder............

23. JimPVB

JimPVB Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2016
    Florida

I see one of your locations is in Florida, and based on your experience I'm wondering if you're in my neighborhood....:D

Jim

24. Llenroc

Llenroc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Vern
    I didn’t finish reading all the posts so don’t know if someone mentioned this but, isn’t tampering with your
    mailbox by someone not authorized to do so a violation of a federal law?

25. JimPVB

JimPVB Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2016
    Florida
    While it is true that the only mail that is supposed to go into a dedicated mailbox for delivery is mail that has been properly postmarked and delivered by the USPTO, this is regularly ignored, especially in gated communities. Although perhaps a violation, I can't see any Fed Prosecutor bringing charges for something like this, just not realistic. (Among my prior lives I did this work, and I wouldn't touch it.) (I realize your just making a point.)

Jim

of2worlds likes this.