Which "+" post in engine bay? | FerrariChat

Which "+" post in engine bay?

Discussion in '348/355' started by ketel, Mar 24, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ketel

ketel Formula 3

Aug 6, 2007
    Sausalito, CA
    Gents - Rookie question I know, but battery went flat in the 355 Spider (even with cut off knob in off position) so I am having to charge the battery back to life. I'd normally just pull the battery out of the engine wheel well and charge it directly but the vehicle is stored in garage spot with no power available and it's against a wall so hard to access the right side.

Manual says to charge using the remote posts in the engine bay and manual says "hook up to the appropriate post" but no indication which of the the three it is. So, which of the 3 posts should I hook up the "+" terminal from the charger to? - the left, middle or right post? Thanks all.

ketel
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. RCKSTR

RCKSTR Karting

All 3 are connected to each other, but the forward most cable goes to battery

Qavion likes this.
  3. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
  4. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    Who cares = Doesn't matter

5. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Don't forget to put the battery disconnect switch to its normal position (ON) for charging, otherwise you won't have a return earth path.

6. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Plus 355 on what Ian said.

7. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    Looks like your battery has a high rate of self-discharge, i.e. unable to take and hold the charge, meaning that you will have to replace it. After you have recharged it, check it a few days later to see if it is still holding that charge. Batteries should not be allowed to go below some 11.5 volts, for any prolonged period of time (2-3 days at 11.5 V should be ok), as the almost irreversible sulfation process in the battery will "eat-up" its capacity.

If you find that the battery still loses charge rather quickly, if the battery is still fairly new, you may try to somewhat reverse its sulfation with one of the special chargers/desulfators like PulseTech Xtreme or BatteryMINDer but there is no guarantee of full battery recovery.