F355 exhaust help - Tubi, Capristo, or Nouvalari? | Page 5 | FerrariChat

F355 exhaust help - Tubi, Capristo, or Nouvalari?

Discussion in '348/355' started by jaybart, Jan 18, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kenneyd

kenneyd Formula 3

Sep 30, 2014
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    crappy video quality, but this is a cap "level 3"

and

308 GTB and ShineKen like this.
  2. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Amazing sounds almost as good as a kressing.:p

3. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus

This seems to contradict a post made by Capristo Exhaust USA years back.

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/capristo-source.468517/page-3#post-143547779

"Ill try my best to explain this without making anyone bleed at the ears. haha

The sound I and II refer to valve closed, sound I is basically stock sound, sound II is a little louder. Sound III refers to when the valves are open this is the F1 scream we talk about.

So the choices are as follows sound 2 which is technically (sound 2 & 3) 2 when valves are closed and 3 when open OR sound 3 which is (sound 1 & 3) 1 when valves are closed and 3 when open

at the end of the day the sound 2 exhaust is louder than the sound 3 exhaust when the valves are closed and the same when they are open.

We HIGHLY recommend getting the sound 3 (1&3) because when the valve is closed compared to open there is a drastic difference and it sound amazing. this is our most popular system for the F355.

Thank You
    Erik"

Here's another thread where they say there's only 2 types. Sound 2 and 3.

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/capristo-source.468517/page-4#post-143549923

"Again sorry for the confusion.

There are only TWO exhausts

its either the
    "Sound 2" (2 & 3)
    or
    "Sound 3" (1 & 3)

Thanks Erik"

4. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    I had a Sound 3 (1&3) on my 95 2.7 with straight pipes. When bypassed closed, it was quiet.. too quiet for my liking. So quiet I wired my bypass open. I then sold it and got a Sound 2, but my bypass is still wired open, so I can't really tell the difference. When I'm ready to work on the 355 again, I'll have a remote controller for the bypass and I should be able to tell the difference.

... But for now, like I said in 2015, Cap 2 .. no exceptions.

5. DaisyCutter

DaisyCutter Karting

Jul 15, 2014
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Dayan
    #105 DaisyCutter, Mar 25, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
    I agree Ken, it was quite confusing when I was trying to determine which system to get. I went through every thread here and still couldn't find a consistent answer to the numeric-coding/naming.

So either wrong or misleading information has been communicated, or the naming systems have quite possibly changed. The representative I dealt with in the UK was emphatic that the information he was supplying me was correct at that time (2017).

The 1/3 I was advised is best suited to the Spider only, unless you wanted to retain a very stock sound valve closed.

The 2/3 is definitely louder than stock when closed, but fairly modest compared to some exhausts I've heard. If you have noise considerations then it's fine.

A 3/3 with its resonance at low speed and idle would not have made me neighbour of the month where I live. As I've said elsewhere, the Capristo bypass remote gives the 2.7 the best of both the 2/3 and 3/3 on demand.

Hope this helps.

ShineKen likes this.
  6. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Unfortunately, this doesn't help. This would imply there are 3 exhaust versions ... 1, 2, and 3. Capristo USA said there's only 2. Considering how quiet my Capristo 3 (1/3) was when bypassed closed, I would say the are correct.

If there is a 3/3 version out there, I would like to know about it and know what it is referred to. Perhaps a special one never sold by Capristo?

7. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
  8. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    To make it more confusing... check out the website.

https://capristoexhaust.com/product/ferrari-355-sound-3-racing-exhaust-system/

"This system is available in Sound 1/2/3: of which 3 is the loudest possible and most popular version.
    Sound 1: ca. 10 dBA louder than OEM
    Sound 2: ca. 18 dBA louder than OEM
    Sound 3: generates typical Ferrari F1 sound

*Note: We only stock the Sound 3; however, Sound 1/2 models can be special ordered*"

I wonder if they are describing it this way just to move their Sound 3 inventory. Either way, we need answers because I want to make sure I have the loudest one.

9. kenneyd

kenneyd Formula 3

Sep 30, 2014
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    I have a feeling its the USA capristo dealers are struggling to understand the product, possible due to language barriers. I got a lot of confusing information when I called them about my sound 3 and my twin sound.

IMO the best bet is to listen to the sound clips and buy the one you think sounds best.
    I should have some time to install the twin sound in the next few weeks and I plan on taking many sound clips

308 GTB likes this.
  10. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    Right, Ken.

11. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    And start an exhaust sound clip thread to help those shopping for exhaust systems.

12. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    My inderstanding is they have been this way for quite a while. Mine took 6 weeks to get it.
    Of course if a dealer ordered one and kept it in stock i guess that would be different.

13. DaisyCutter

DaisyCutter Karting

Jul 15, 2014
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Dayan
    A typical Ferrari F1 sound these days (V6 hybrid) is closer to that of a goat being slowly strangled .

14. DaisyCutter

DaisyCutter Karting

Jul 15, 2014
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Dayan
    Seriously though, this description suggests both Sound 1 and 2 do not provide the 'F1 sound' that Capristo is renowned for. With all exhausts sounding the same when the valve is open this could easily be misinterpreted.

15. chris1866

chris1866 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I have been going back and forth with Capristo on this exact topic myself over the past week.
    I recently purchased Robb's old yellow '95. According to his wonderful detail in this thread:
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/my-epic-capristo-exhaust-has-now-arrived-lets-show-the-install.506465/page-5
    The exhaust was special ordered as a 2/3. You can see in the pic in post #62 shows both "2" and "3" marked.
    The car has Fabspeed headers and cat bypasses.
    My personal opinion is that the car does not sound that good with the bypass closed. Great with the bypass open. Unfortunately, the bypass doesn't really open in the lower gears (1, 2, 3) until WOT @ 6k.
    WOT in 4th and higher, and the bypass opens earlier...more like 3k RPM, and sounds good all the way up, but the speeds there become significant for public roads. The gears I spend the most time WOT in are 2 & 3, and I don't get the "F1" sound until 6k. Additionally, when rev-matching on downshifts, I get the dull "bypass closed" sound, instead of the "scream".
    By contrast, I previously owned a '97 with stock headers, high flow cats, and a Nouvalari Supersport exhaust. That sounded good ALL the time. Good at idle, good at 4k, and even better at redline. But there wasn't such a difference between valve opened and valve closed.

Here are 2 quick video clips to illustrate what I"m talking about:
    Starts in 1st at 1/2 throttle, then WOT in 2nd and 3rd. You can hear a distinct change from the "dull" sound to the "scream" at 6k in 2nd.
    Unfortunately I didn't capture any rev-matching on downshifts, but it is missing the "scream" on those as well.

Contrast with the bypass wired open:
    Starts in 2nd at WOT. It has the high-pitched "scream" much earlier, and to me, sounds good all the way up the rev range. And as you can hear, the downshifts sound great as well.

Unfortunately, it is unbearably loud and droning at low RPMs with the bypass wired open like this. Cruising around at 2-3k RPMs would give you a headache in 10 minutes.
    So, for me, bypass wired open permanently is not a solution. What I'm looking for is something that's louder/better sounding with the valve closed.

I have been corresponding with Jordan @ Capristo USA. I sent him all of this info including the video clips, with the question of how the "level 3" would differ from what I have now "2/3". He said he is sending all of the info to the factory to get an answer. I will keep everyone posted with their reply when I receive it.

ShineKen and MAD828 like this.
  16. kenneyd

kenneyd Formula 3

Sep 30, 2014
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    #116 kenneyd, Mar 26, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2019
    Something may be wrong with your bypass valve or the vacuum system. Doesn't sound right. I prefer it "good all the time" (i.e. loud) so my vote is to wire it open.
    Since you dont like the drone sometimes, I think your the prefect candidate for capristos controller. Leave it open when playing, mute it when the phone rings with a click of a button. A lot cheaper than buying a second muffler

DaisyCutter and ShineKen like this.
  17. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Chris, have you checked all the vacuum lines (including the hard line on the subframe)? It should not take WOT and 6k rpm to open the valve in the lower gears.

18. chris1866

chris1866 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Chris
    This was my first impression (issue with the bypass valve). All the vacuum lines themselves are good, and the cannister appears to be in good shape with no holes that I can see (it's not super rusted like some you see). I actually bought a Capristo bypass valve because when I took mine off, it seemed very hard to actuate by hand and I thought that was the issue.
    I checked with a hand vacuum pump (like you can use to bleed brakes). It took 7in.Hg to "crack" it open, and several more pumps and 14in.Hg before it was fully open.
    The capristo valve works the opposite way (default position is open, and it closes with vacuum). It took only 6in.Hg to start movement, and only 2 more pumps and 7in.Hg to close it fully.
    So my initial thought was that my diaphragm on the OEM valve was bad since it took a lot more pressure to actuate than the capristo.
    However, when I installed the Capristo valve onto the car (along with the solenoid/electrovalve which reverses polarity of the signal from the Motronic), it behaved in the exact same way.
    These videos are with the Capristo valve installed.

I'm not sure exactly how to go about testing the vacuum system? I guess I could put a "T" with a gauge right before the valve (after hard line on subframe), but how do you read the measurement while driving/under load? Super long vacuum line into the cabin?

It's difficult to diagnose, because the system does work....it definitely opens the valve at 3k rpm at WOT in 4th gear. It just takes longer in lower gears.... That's why my initial assumption was a bad/stiff valve....

19. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Have you checked all the lines as far as holding vacuum? My previous 99 F355 had a tiny crack in the hard line that was attached to the subframe that caused a similar issue.

20. chris1866

chris1866 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Good info, thanks! I will check it out.

21. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    Detailed post!

My car is a 2.7 with cats, and secondary straight pipe, Tubi headers, capristo bypass and Capristo stage 2 exhaust.

I think what you are experiencing comes down to two things.

1- your comparing a 5.2 system to a 2.7 I have owned both and extensively driven many examples with different exhaust setups. Trust me on this with a Capristo and identical setups otherwise the 5.2 always sounds more exciting in the cabin especially before bypass.
    On my 2.7 I went from a Tubi Evolution to a Capristo stage 2 and the before bypass sound was worse and off in terms of theatre but on bypass it’s better more F1 scream. The benefit at cruise with the capristo is no drone and remarkably quiet considering how loud it gets when the bypass is open. I do not get nice cracks and pops on rev matching downshifts with the Capristo with the bypass working and configured as per normal as you are experiencing and on the 5.2 you do get that.

2. You have Fabspeed headers which are known to remove some of the F1 scream due to the 4-1 configuration. Even in your second video with the bypass wired open it sounds nothing like how mine does with Tubi headers and Capristo 2 exhaust... the f1 noise with the bypass open on my car is insane.

DaisyCutter and ShineKen like this.
  22. chris1866

chris1866 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Thanks for the info!
    I had heard this about the 4-1 Fabspeed headers and planned to replace them with Tubi (which are 4-2-1 just like OEM) during the major which I will do this summer. Just as a data point, on your 2.7 car, does the bypass open earlier than mine in the video (6k at WOT?)

For everyone else's info on the levels/stages. This is the response I got from Capristo (as noted above, I was specifically asking about the effects of changing my 2/3 setup to a 3):

Regarding changing the exhaust to sound3, the factory now only builds sound 1/3 (on special request) the reason is that the difference between open and closed flaps is clearer to hear and the difference between sound 2/3 to 3/3 (Sound 3 standard) is not very high exactly as from 2/3 to 1/3.

I am not sure how to interpret that...?

23. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    I don't think anyone is. I've never seen so many different explanations for something, including changes in naming over the years, by the company that makes it.

My guess is that there is a more drastic difference in sound when the valve opens on a 1/3. Less dramatic difference as you go up to a 2/3 3/3 as it's louder on primary.

24. chris1866

chris1866 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Chris
    My assumption is the same. That each "level" contains less baffling in the lower chamber, meaning less of a difference when the bypass valve opens.

25. DaisyCutter

DaisyCutter Karting

Jul 15, 2014
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Dayan
    Fit the Capristo Remote Bypass Chris, you'll have all the sound when you want it, then with a press of a button and the system reverts to standard functionality for cruising and neighbourly consideration. It's a 2/3 and a 3/3 all in one.

C'dwic and ShineKen like this.