Any recommendations for mechanic in Central Illinois? | FerrariChat

Any recommendations for mechanic in Central Illinois?

Discussion in 'Chicago' started by Ferraritalian, Mar 26, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferraritalian

Ferraritalian Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2019
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Well since I’ve bought my 308 I haven’t been able to drive it as it appears the alternator is not working, so my battery cannot recharge. Seller bought a new battery just before selling.

I have been told by 3 local mechanics, 2 supposed good import ones, that they will not do this work.

I’m running out of options quickly. I knew repairs would be a pain, but I didn’t expect to have zero choices. Any trusted recommendations anywhere between Chicago and St Louis?

Thanks in advance.

2. wmuno

wmuno Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 24, 2007
    Wilmette, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Bill Muno
    You might want to try:
    Motorkraft Ltd
    4923 E 161st St
    Noblesville, IN 46062
    Phone: (317) 846-5203

3. Ferraritalian

Jan 19, 2019
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Thanks very much for that suggestion. I’ll put it on my list although I’d live one a bit closer.

I did also look into Kauth & Mayeur in Peoria as suggested in a previous post.

Anyone worked with Eurosport in Springfield?

4. sidtx

sidtx F1 Rookie
    Owner

Feb 9, 2014
    Frisco, Tx
    Full Name:
    Sid

The alternator should be an easy fix. I have a Mondial QV. When my alternator died, my son and I removed it and took it to a local alternator/generator repair shop. $110 and a day later, I had it back -- working (and looking) like new.

The alternator is just a standard Bosch unit. Nothing special or difficult about it (except where it it mounted in the car). Whatever engineer that thought it was a good idea to sandwich it between a hot engine and even hotter headers, must have been into a couple of bottles of wine when deciding to put it there.

Sid

5. Ferraritalian

Jan 19, 2019
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Appreciate the reply, but it’s been anything but easy. My buddy decided to take it on and long story short, several hours later, the alternator was out. I was thrilled, took the alternator to a shop for rebuild, and my hopes were crushed when he said the alternator is working just fine. So, I’m no closer to driving the car.

6. JP365

JP365 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    John F
    My dad had a QV and had a charging problem that turned out to be the voltage regulator and not the alternator. Did you check the voltage regulator? Also, IIRC, it is easy for the belt to get stretched so it isn’t actually charging the battery. Crazy job to get it out as I remember. Right rear wheel housing and a water pipe in front of the pulley as I remember.

7. Ferraritalian

Jan 19, 2019
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Exactly, the panels on both sides and that water pipe, which was unceremoniously ripped out of there, plus the goofy backwards lower mounting bolt. The Bosch alternator for 1979 had a voltage regulator attached to it. Since the alternator was out, Im having it rebuilt including the voltage regulator. That tiny little belt was unimpressive, but tight enough.

8. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    what area of the Midwest are you? so was the alt rebuilt yet?

9. Ferraritalian

Jan 19, 2019
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Central Illinois. The alternator was tested and it’s not the problem, which was the worst possible news I could get. I’m having the alternator rebuilt anyway while it’s out, but it didn’t fix anything. The saga continues.

I have a new angle on this but I won’t be able to test it until I get the alternator back next week.

10. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    whats your new angle? relays? grounds?

11. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    make sure your radio is not on. ive seen this where the radio is directly wired to the battery and left on where it cant be heard. just solved this last week on a car im working on

12. Ferraritalian

Jan 19, 2019
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Hmmm... my bizzarro “radio” might have something to do with it, although it “seems” off.

Looking at the wiring from the alternator to the dash light that could cause a malfunction that was suggested in another tech thread I started on this. Will report.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
  14. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    any luck???????????????????????

15. Ferraritalian

Jan 19, 2019
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Just got the rebuilt alternator back last night. We have some scheduling difficulties over the next week or so, so it’s creeping closer.

Ordered tires in the meantime, though. Woo, hoo.

absostone likes this.
  16. Ferraritalian

Jan 19, 2019
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Well, it seems the problem is fixed.

The rebuilt working alternator went back in and the malfunctioning idiot light on the dash was corrected, allowing the alternator to do its job. The car is now charging properly. The car has the new Pirellis on, and I drove it for the first time today after getting it at Barrett Jackson in April. Smooth running at 70mph, great time with the targa top off.

Happy today.

absostone likes this.
  17. Ferraritalian

Jan 19, 2019
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Now I have to go to my other thread where it was suggested to look at that light messing up the system and buy that poster a virtual beer.

absostone likes this.
  18. JP365

JP365 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    John F
    Glad to hear you are up and running!

Ferraritalian and absostone like this.