F355 exhaust help - Tubi, Capristo, or Nouvalari? | Page 6 | FerrariChat

F355 exhaust help - Tubi, Capristo, or Nouvalari?

Discussion in '348/355' started by jaybart, Jan 18, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    #126 ShineKen, Mar 26, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2019
    I would like to add another "data point" and I think it might help.

When I purchased my 95 2.7, it came with OEM headers, OEM Y-pipe, straight pipes, stock bypass, and a Tubi. I don't believe it was a Tubi Evolution as it looked kinda old, but it has been so long, I cannot recall exactly. My best guess is it was a standard Tubi.

If a Capristo Sound 1 is only 10db and Sound 2 is 18db when bypass closed, I would say a Tubi is roughly 30-50 db with bypass closed. The transition from bypass closed to open is more monotone and fluid, whereas the Capristo is jekyll and hyde. Super quiet like a Toyota, and then F1. I never really got used to that. The Tubi was better when bypass closed, but when bypass open, it did not display the F1 sound the Capristo did. Not even close.

I never felt my OEM bypass was functioning improperly with the Tubi. Only when I got my Capristo 3 (sound 1/3), did I question my bypass function. In the end, I decided to just wire the bypass open. Night and day difference. Car sounds and responds properly.

My Scud also has a factory bypass setup. Looking back and comparing it to the 355 OE bypass, I think the parameters set by the 355 computer of when it opens and closes suck compared to the Scud. The operation on the Scud feels very fluid on upshifts and downshifts. IF my OE 355 bypass was indeed working properly, I don't think it compares to the one on the Scud and it is better to ditch it for a better working one like Capristo or maybe Goth (my speculation) or just wire it open and call it a day.

If I were to try the bypass function again, I would do it with a remote controller. However, I was not satisfied with how the Capristo 3 (sound 1/3) transitions from a sound 1 to sound 3 when the bypass does function, which is why I sold it for a Capristo 2 (Sound 2/3) hoping the transition would better. If one already has a Capristo 2, which we're going to assume is a (2/3), you would be disappointed in a Capristo 3 (1/3). We have to remember, 10 db (sound 1) and 18db (sound 2) is not much to begin with.

To seek more clarity on the topic, we have to ask Capristo, "how many exhaust systems do you have outside of the twin system?" "Do you have 2 or 3?"

It's funny to look back at past conversations because it is highly possible, people who thought they had a Capristo 1, because it is labeled "sound 1/3" really had a Capristo 3, which is also labelled "1/3". They should be debating about the same system.

And Capristo USA saying on their site the Capristo 3 is the "loudest version", must be incorrect if we were to believe their explanation on fchat. To me, it seems they just put that out there because that is what they stock and it's easier to sell what they already have. The Capristo 2 should be the loudest, only because it is louder when bypass closed (18 db vs 10db).

If Capristo makes a system that is louder than 18 db when bypass closed, I need to know about it.

2. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus

I would say most here do not have a catless Y-pipe, including myself. What brand do you have? Do you think that could be a reason your bypass opens and closes more quickly and fluidly? I think this is something worth considering. Seems like you have the "perfect storm" of a setup as you say.

MAD828 likes this.
  3. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    That's very quiet. You must mean decibel levels over stock.

ShineKen likes this.
  4. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    You are correct. It is 10 db and 18db over OEM respectively. Then I would like to correct my earlier statement that Tubi is 30 to 50 db over OEM.

Nevertheless, Capristo is VERY quiet when bypass closed.

MAD828 likes this.
  5. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    Ken what you are describing with the Tubi exhaust is the old style where the exhaust chambers mixed and it did not have separate pathways for the bypass function hence no real change when bypass opened but sounded mean as at idle and very loud. But did not get any better if at all at full wot and bypass open. My F355 F1 GTS has this setup and I thought it was the bypass not functioning but it was the exhaust. Changed to a Tubi Evolution and it was more Jeckyl and Hyde.

Honestly from what you describe your preference to be for sound the Tubi Evolution would be worth looking at. It sounds much louder at idle than a capristo in any guise be it 1-2 or 3.

Capristo sounds insane at the top end but for me it’s still a bit too tame before bypass and when it’s wired open permanent it’s obnoxious. As daisy cutter said perhaps the switch to operate remotely might be a good idea.

ShineKen likes this.
  6. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    Ken I have tried just about every single combination I could to get the correct sound. Im still wanting a touch more from my car before bypass. Again sound is subjective to preference. Simon was with me on the weekend ask him how mine sounded. I could not hear his car with nouvalari fitted and he has straight pipes upper and lower and Capristo bypass.

The catless y pipe makes the transition to bypass more noticeable. But it was good without it too. Mine is a M - Racing from Japan. Saves 2.7 kilos too. It’s super loud with this on and pops flames on occasion even though I have 200 cell high flow cats on primaries. I would say it sounds cleaner with the stock y pipe and more raw with straight pipe.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

308 GTB and ShineKen like this.
  7. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    The aftermarket exhaust systems for the F355 are numerous and I can see where it becomes difficult to make a choice. But I do understand what sound you're all after. The high-revving, high-compression F355 5-valve engine makes it possible.

With F355 Challenge cars, you get one sound with the "Challenge Special Exhaust Silencer For Tracks Without Noise Limits..."

That Lamborghini's exhaust sound might be more to everyone's liking. :)

ShineKen likes this.
  8. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    You described the Tubi accurately. I'm now pretty sure I had a standard Tubi, like everyone else.

Judging by your posts and experiences with different setups, I think you and I are after the same thing ... and maybe some others too lol.

1. Capristo too tame compared to others when bypass closed. Sound 1 or 2... I'm going to assume there isn't a Sound 3 version when bypass closed. We need a little more from this exhaust to make it perfect.

2. You would like to keep the bypass function and make sure it is as optimal as possible. Be it OE or Capristo (or others). It needs to be FAST. Catless Y-pipe could be an aiding factor in speeding up bypass function. Combine this with a remote bypass controller for the best of both worlds.

With your setup, 200 cell cats + Catless MS Racing Y-Pipe, I would imagine wiring the bypass open (keeping it open all the time) would be obnoxious. That Y-Pipe should make it very loud I'm assuming.

My setup is opposite of yours. I have straight pipe primaries + OEM Y-Pipe, so wiring the bypass open isn't so bad/obnoxious, but what isn't obnoxious to me might be very obnoxious to someone else. Running it this way hasn't seem so bad for me, but I'm going to assume your setup as much more scream when bypass open.

Have you considered straight pipes or 100 cell cats for primaries to "improve" your bypass closed driving experience? Considering I felt my setup with Capristo 3 and straight pipe primaries was too quiet when bypass closed, I'm not sure if a straight pipe or 100 cell cat will help you. But then again, I had a Capristo 3. I haven't tried it on a Capristo 2 yet as my bypass is still wired open. I kinda like it the way it is now, but I'm planning for the future if I happen to get tired of the bypass open all the time. I guess I just don't drive the car enough to get tired of it.

Are you considering going back to the Tubi Evolution? How does Nouvalari sound compare to Tubi Evolution?

9. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    This is exactly right as capristos need vacume to stay closed.
    Because of this if you floor it at 2500 rpm the valve should dump open and drone until the rpm picks up.

I canmake mine drone and open at any rpm. Maybe setup wrong or possible using the original valve insted of the cappy

10. chris1866

chris1866 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Chris
    This is very good info. I agree with your assertion that the Capristo is just "too tame" with the valve closed. I don't like the way it sounds in that situation. Maybe I will take a look at the Tubi Evolution...

Also good information, thanks! 2 questions---are you using a Capristo valve or OEM? Also, 2.7 or 5.2 car?
    I am aware of how the Capristo bypass valve functions and installed it (and the solenoid/electrovalve) myself.
    With the stock system, the Motronic gives the signal to the solenoid/electrovalve, which opens to allow vacuum to pass to the bypass valve and open it.
    The Capristo solenoid reverses polarity. So the default position is "bypass open" and it uses vacuum to close. It uses that same signal from the Motronic, but is reversed, so at idle and low RPMs, it allows the vacuum to pass to the bypass valve, closing it. When it gets the signal from the Motronic, it cuts off the vacuum to the bypass valve, which opens the valve.
    There are multiple factors by which the Motronic dictates to the solenoid to "open" the bypass. One factor is RPM (2760 RPM in 1st, 2nd, and 4th gear, 4k RPM in 3rd according to the WSM), but I believe there are others as well.
    I should have some time tonight to check the vacuum system more carefully for leaks, but since the Capristo valve behaves the same way as my OEM one, I'm not confident that's the issue. I believe there is adequate vacuum in the system, because the issue is that the bypass is CLOSED too long (ie vacuum present). If there wasn't enough vacuum, the Capristo valve would stay open (or partially open), since it remains open in the absence of vacuum. The question is, why my Motronic apparently doesn't give the "signal" for the valve to open until 6k RPM...

Appreciate all of the input so far!

11. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    #136 MAD828, Mar 27, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2019
    Just to further clarify the Capristo is tame in any model with closed bypass. I have tried them stamped 1,2,3 on a 2.7 car, in the closed bypass position it’s very quiet. They do sound better in cabin on the 5.2. It’s like the exhaust was made for a 5.2 setup.

Everyone who comes in my car is amazed at the stark difference between valve closed and valve open. And if your at the lights and you blip the throttle the sound a capristo makes is quite lame on the 2.7 - it’s all in the top end for a 2.7 equipped with capristo.

In my experience so far for a 5.2 car you can’t go wrong with a capristo. On the 2.7 the in cabin noise before bypass it’s not exciting sounds like stock to me.

Externally from the outside a Capristo sounds great to bystanders and other cars. There is nothing quite like an F355 with capristo coming toward you the scream it emits is glorious.

ShineKen likes this.
  12. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    I believe throttle percentage plays a part of when the bypass opens as well. I don't recall exactly what the parameters were. I also think the bypass closes as soon as you let off the throttle. If this is accurate, it's probably the part I don't like. Especially, with the jekyll and hyde characteristics of the Capristo.

*As a side note to anyone else reading, it is probably best not to wire the bypass open unless you have a separate chamber exhaust like the Capristo or Tubi Evolution. You can run into backflow issues.

13. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    So just to clarify, you've actually seen 3 different Capristo (non twin) exhausts systems on the market? I just wanted to clarify this part to debunk Capristo USA's story that there is only 2 (Cap 2 & Cap 3).

14. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
  15. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Only problem I see with a 5.2 is it's probably difficult to get straight pipes on there (without CELs) to extract Capristo's F1 sound in full form.

16. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    Yes the part where 5.2 is better is before bypass. With a 2.7 it’s unbeatable up top. With or without cats.

FourthAlfa and ShineKen like this.
  17. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    Yes I have seen them stamped 1 - 2 and 3. And I could not tell a difference between any of them.

When I ordered 3 at once with specific requests for each one for sound level 3 arrived and 2 were not even stamped, which made it interesting to determine who got what exhaust. In the end they sound the same to me. The only difference I have noticed is the 2.7 and 5.2 differences with the same exhaust.

ShineKen likes this.
  18. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    This quote alone should double the price of 95 (2.7) 355's.

FourthAlfa likes this.
  19. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    I think this only adds further mystery to the question of whether there are 2 or 3 different variations.

MAD828 likes this.
  20. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    Yes I advised my friend not to get a 3/3 as I was under the assumption the noise would be too much even with bypass closed. Turns out he was so unhappy it wasn’t loud enough he unplugged his capristo valve and let it run open all the time. Which to me is way too much with no cats on top.

So the stamping system on Capristo in my experience is not to be trusted. And this is based on 6 different Capristo exhausts. Not just one car and one exhaust. I have personally had 4 different exhausts on my own car and countless other setups, including 3 bypass valves. OEM, Gothspeed and Capristo. I bought the car for the sound mainly and it’s looks. It has to be spot on.

ShineKen likes this.
  21. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    Elliott, did you ever try the Mille Miglia exhaust?

22. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Just in case anyone is curious about catless Y-Pipes, the one Elliot has is an MS-Racing version from Japan. They make it for the 2.7 and 5.2. I remember reading some literature on them about them having a "secret recipe" in regards to the piping diameter to extract the most F1 sound. Could be BS, but something to consider when shopping for Y-pipes. Either way, there's no denying Elliot's car sounds fantastic. Kriessieg offers a decent looking one (or two) as well.

23. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    I'm sure his thread will continue on with all this confusion about Capristo's different sound builds. But I'd like to offer a brief interlude, if I may.

The faster you go, the faster your exhaust sound with its Doppler effect will dissipate to observers...

When I'm at Daytona, I don't go fast enough to blow people around...

:)

ShineKen likes this.
  24. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    Yes!

I have tried it on 2 cars. My 1998 Berlinetta had one (the first version) and a 95 spider I tested for a buyer had the later version. The early version is no good. The later version is amazing from my experience.

I really want to spend some more time with that exhaust. To date the best car I have heard had the Mille Miglia exhaust on it and it was an F1 spider. My brief drive with the 95 spider 2.7 car with MM exhaust was pretty crazy. If I’m going to try one more exhaust it will be the later model Mille Miglia. And they do make versions to suit the consumer in terms of exhaust packing you can get it louder or quieter. It also mimics the capristo and Tubi Evolution in terms of separate exhaust pathways.

For some reason the note before bypass opens and at idle the MM equipped car is really sweet. My only gripe for the MM exhaust is the exhaust tips. But in Australia the MM exhaust is locally made and half the price of Capristo.

If I get to sample one again I will report back.

308 GTB likes this.
  25. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    I was very happy with the Mille Miglia exhaust I had on my 308 as I posted earlier in this thread. It looked and sounded right and was very well made. The exhaust tips were stainless steel instead of chrome. The price here in the US, through Nick's Forza Ferrari, was very reasonable too.

MAD828 likes this.