Mount Dora Cars and Coffee? | FerrariChat

Mount Dora Cars and Coffee?

Discussion in 'Florida' started by APA#1, Nov 24, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Yes, I will come to a Mount Dora C&C

1. Yes

7 vote(s)
    77.8%
  2. No

2 vote(s)
    22.2%
  1. APA#1

APA#1 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Central Florida
    I was thinking of organizing a C&C in Mount Dora. Would any fellow F-chatters like to participate if I can get it together?

For those who don't know, "'Someplace Special' to Play, Shop, Dine, Stay... The City of Mount Dora truly is 'Someplace Special,' a charming, one-hundred plus year old historic village in the heart of Central Florida on the shores of beautiful Lake Dora in the Harris Chain of Lakes"

https://www.whattodoinmtdora.com/

Lots of Coffee shops, restaurants, shops and events.

Thoughts?

2. 400iGuy

400iGuy Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Central Florida
    Full Name:
    Al
    Sounds interesting. Would be best not to conflict with the monthly C&C in Celebration.
    Al

3. APA#1

APA#1 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Central Florida
    No, do not want to compete with Celebration dates/times, just want to do one a little further North.

4. JohnnyRay

JohnnyRay F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    Central FL/NW WI
    It's a great idea. Will be moving some cars down that way soon...

5. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    That's a good idea. Mt. Dora Festival of Exotic Cars was a great event when held there in the early 2000s and very nice scenery as you say.

6. kevfla

kevfla Formula 3

Nov 20, 2003
    Full Name:
    gone 4 good
    Just beware of a certain local business man. If your event becomes successful, I wouldn't put it past this person to muscle it away from you and take it over. A congenial Napoleon.

7. APA#1

APA#1 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Central Florida
    Great, let me put it together.

As to Kevfla statement,

"Just beware of a certain local business man. If your event becomes successful, I wouldn't put it past this person to muscle it away from you and take it over. A congenial Napoleon."

please pm me with details. I am not doing this for any profit motive, just think its a great venue.

8. JohnnyRay

JohnnyRay F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    Central FL/NW WI
    Where in Mt. Dora are you thinking? The downtown area is quite crowded. Someplace with plenty of parking would be nice...

9. APA#1

APA#1 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Central Florida
    That's my goal as well. Working on a few places. Also talking to the city for the "main" street.

10. JohnnyRay

JohnnyRay F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    Central FL/NW WI
    Grantham Pointe might be a good location. Right on the water and plenty of parking as I recall. I think downtown Mt. Dora is too crowded. Maybe something there for a once a year special event, but more parking should be planned for if the event becomes popular.

Consider the waterfront in downtown Tavares as well. Again, plenty of parking, and the city seems to be open to events there. The Lake Dora Antique Boat Show has been successfully held there for a number of years. Plenty of nearby bars and restaurants. And arguably is more accessible to both Hwy 19 and the 441.

Thanks for your efforts on this!

11. APA#1

APA#1 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Central Florida
    Thanks Johnny. While Tavares is nice, I do want to keep it in Mount Dora as it is a great vibe and tons of places that people can enjoy, all the restaurants, shops, coffee etc. The wives and GF's will like it as well and encourage participation. Happy wife happy life sort of thing :-0. I am working on a fixed location, but saying that we can all probably park right on Donnelly Street, south of 5th on a Sunday Morning before 9AM, unless of course they have an event.

I should have it wrapped up by the 1st.

12. kevfla

kevfla Formula 3

Nov 20, 2003
    Full Name:
    gone 4 good
    I realize you are shooting for a Sunday morning event, but consider the extra incentive for people to drive-up Saturday mornings by gassing-up on 93 octane, non-ethanol fuel at Harris Oil, at 441 and SR 46. My Shadow runs like a turbine on the stuff! They are open until noon, Saturdays, closed on Sunday.

13. 400iGuy

400iGuy Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Central Florida
    Full Name:
    Al
  14. JohnnyRay

JohnnyRay F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    Central FL/NW WI
    I think Saturday morning would ensure a better turn out...but it's your show... :) Either way, the effort is much appreciated!

15. kevfla

kevfla Formula 3

Nov 20, 2003
    Full Name:
    gone 4 good
    #15 kevfla, Dec 22, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2018
    Al,
    You'll have to come out, to find out!

We are anxious to support this new event. Start small, and let it grow and evolve at it's own speed. Trying to get the city to do a street-closure may be a bit optimistic for the first one. I speak from experience, having been involved with the Mount Dora Concours years ago. It moved to Winter Park for a reason. Lots of cafes on Highland St that would love the business that this C & C might generate, without the parking hassles and risk to the cars from inadvertent damage from the general public. Just my opinion.

JohnnyRay likes this.
  16. JohnnyRay

JohnnyRay F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    Central FL/NW WI
    Any update on this?

17. APA#1

APA#1 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Central Florida
    I was out there yesterday. Parking there is limited, however there are some options I am still working on. Should have something by end of this week.

Also would a Saturday be more palatable to everyone? Also how about a 9am start?

18. 400iGuy

400iGuy Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Central Florida
    Full Name:
    Al
    Saturday at 9:00 AM would be good.

Al

19. jkstevens2

jkstevens2 Formula Junior

Aug 25, 2015
    Winter Park, FL
    Full Name:
    JK Stevens
    You might contact the city to see if you could close off and reserve N Baker Street between E 5th Ave and E 6th Ave. Almost like a block party. The street is uphill from Donnelly Park where the shuffleboard courts are located. Its in the center of town. Its a one way street with diagonal parking and during the Christmas holiday they have a ice/fake snow sledding event and section off some of the parking for DJ trucks etc. Just a thought......

If I can get my Mondial 3.2 running again, I would love to come.

20. WaltP

WaltP Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Cape Canaveral/Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Walt P
  21. jehu999

jehu999 Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2011
    Coastal Central Fl
    Full Name:
    James
    Bummer, can’t do Saturdays but good local, prefer to Orlando. Good luck.

22. JohnnyRay

JohnnyRay F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    Central FL/NW WI
    I'm down the area now. Still say downtown Tavares offers much more room to support an event such as this. And the community seems more open to hosting events as well. Sure - downtown Mt. Dora is quaint - but I would be uncomfortable having one of my cars down there. Too crowded...

23. APA#1

APA#1 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Central Florida
    Hi Guys, long time to get this one started, but SUCCESS!

Supercar Saturday
    Mount Dora 9-12 am,
    Saturday April 13th
    639 N Donnelly St, Mt Dora, FL 32757
    Sponsored in Part by Jody Parks, Watson Realty

Private parking lot that will hold 20-25 cars, right on Donnelly St.

For those who don't know, "'Someplace Special' to Play, Shop, Dine, Stay... The City of Mount Dora truly is 'Someplace Special,' a charming, one-hundred plus year old historic village in the heart of Central Florida on the shores of beautiful Lake Dora in the Harris Chain of Lakes"

https://www.whattodoinmtdora.com/

Lots of Coffee shops, restaurants, shops and events.

Super easy to get to and when your done you can drive the Lake Dora route for some great scenery. Plus stop by Harris oil on the way and get 100% real gas.

Coming from ORL, easy. 429 North to Mount Dora exit, clearly marked, it ends at Hwy 46. Go past/thru 441 to South Highland, turn right. Go to 5th Ave, turn Left. Donnelly Street turn right, go 1 block on left! Do the speed limit in Mount Dora, small town police...

See you there!

JohnnyRay likes this.
  24. 400iGuy

400iGuy Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Central Florida
    Full Name:
    Al
    So far the calendar looks good for the 13th. Lots of good places for lunch within just a few blocks.
    See ya there.
    Al

25. APA#1

APA#1 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Central Florida
    Yes, great place to visit, see you there