Williams F1 | Page 19 | FerrariChat

Williams F1

Discussion in 'F1' started by BJMoravek, Mar 3, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Oh, I thought the problem was in the upper arms. That´s a quite obvious cheat.

The other day I read somewhere that Pirelli asked for a test car to try new tyres. All the teams agreed that the only one who could provide it is Williams: they´re so back behind that it wouldn´t matter if they get some unfair advantage for knowing the tyres beforehand.

william and Bas like this.
  2. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    I bet Kubica and Russell must have second thought about the forthcoming season.
    A drive at Williams is like a poisoned chalice.

crinoid and vinuneuro like this.
  3. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    If someone would have given them a better offer I'm sure they wouldn't have taken it. Kubica is working his ass off to resurrect his career. I'm sure that he knows better than anyone how hard the road will be. I think he is hoping/planning to show a level of skill we haven't seen from him since the accident. This is his chance and I respect he isn't whining about what he doesn't have but is attacking his challenge as a professional and is determined to give his best.

fer312t, 635CSI, 375+ and 2 others like this.
  4. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    I bet Ocon would jump at the chance to replace either driver having second thoughts ;)

Not sure if this has been posted elsewhere.

Ferrari 308 GTB likes this.
  5. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    I believe it's only a matter of time before the Latifi's ride into town to pick up the pieces, at a knockdown price.Then the boy get's his chance ala Stroll.

6. bmwracer

bmwracer Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2004
    Toronto
    Kubica is an exceptional driver with good technical understanding , he alone cannot change the teams fortune this year but his feedback throughout this season should benefit Williams in the coming year . Watching Lance and his comments over the radio during the race at Monaco , when he is running last and whines about why they are still racing prove that Lance is not enough a real racer , and given his attitude , I doubt he will ever win anything or make it to top 10 in any race with any team .

Bas likes this.
  7. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Melbourne 2019

Not looking good. GP2 pace.

8. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    GP2 existed in 1938?

Bas likes this.
  9. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    Reading comments from both drivers, Australia was a continuation of their truncated pre-season testing. Neither was ever in contention for anything more than what they got. Neither was happy about it, and they know they will be bringing up the rear for at least several more races. But they are doing what is possible with what they've got. If I was either driver I'd bust my butt to find a time and place to do some flashy driving and get my agent looking for an Indy Car ride. I can't imagine Williams making it to the end of the season. They have two choices...close their doors or close their door. Or do what Frank is unwilling to do...become a Mercedes B team.

10. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Ralph Schumacher has very harsh words to say about the Williams team on the Motorsport website.
    He drove for Williams for 5 years, and said the rot started long time ago, becoming worse after Patrick Head's departure..
    According to him, it's the autocratic style of management imposed by Frank Williams that is at fault.
    R. Schumacher speaks of an atmosphere of fear among the demotivated staff and the technical team being very divided.
    Claire Williams inherited the structure and seems to carry it on.
    At this rate, it can't be long before the team hit the buffers.

11. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    Yes. Claire is a punching bag for a lot of things, but the rot started long before she was put in charge. I don't know if she is able to change the atmosphere there or is unwilling, or both. I've said the only way to effect change there is to fire all the managers and owners and take the Williams sign off the front of the building.

I've also said that there's one way at Williams. The Williams Way or the Highway. EVERYBODY took the highway. From staff to drivers to sponsors to designers to drivers....the highway in the end was the best option. There is even a long time member here who was an engineer at Williams during the Head days, and he didn't detail his experiences there to any length. He might be reading this and he might have something to say, but I suspect not.

Claire said back in 2012 or 2013 that customer cars will be the death of Williams, and she's partly right. Williams is the very last of the small outfits, and they cannot continue as they are against teams like Haas/Alfa Romeo, RBTR who get a lot of sideways factory support.

As it is, they have a little cash in the bank so maybe they can scratch out another season, but the short term is all they have left; they are toast as a Williams owned and operated team.

jgonzalesm6, william and Bas like this.
  12. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Right now, a drive at Williams looks more like the kiss of death.

Ocon probably deserves better than a season at the back of the field.

375+ likes this.
  13. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    :eek:.....:(......

[Autosport] Bahrain GP 2019

Kubica says spares shortage will compromise Williams F1 again this weekend - "You cannot go over the kerbs or you go over the kerbs but the risk is the car will fall apart.

14. maulaf

maulaf Formula 3

Feb 24, 2011
    Cape Town
    incredible... would like to see a proper insider report one day of what happened inside the 20 years ago most glorious racing team.

15. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    I doubt it. Kubica has been trying to hard for so many years to be back in F1. I think he also turned down a le mans drive for this. And when he comes here, I am sure he kinda expected the team to be slow. I highly doubt he will bail, but rather just enjoy from here on.

16. Remy Zero

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    I agree. he sounded like a spoilt brat.

17. Remy Zero

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    They should have become a B team. Times have changed, but Williams mentality remained stagnant. That is what brought them here in the first place.

18. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    According to BBC Sport, former co-owner Patrick Head would be making a come back at Williams.
    Head retired from Williams in 2011, and sold his shares to Paddy Lowe in 2016.
    Patrick Head would be consultant at Williams.

19. Jean-Pierre Marchand

Jean-Pierre Marchand Formula Junior
    BANNED

Mar 21, 2019
    Mont Royal, QC
    Full Name:
    Just call me J.P.
    This was briefly mentioned during the FP1 session by the Sky team. Apparently, he's still a board member on the Willie team.

20. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
  21. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Patrick Head (I'm no fan of the guy) would be a great return to the team. Say what you want about him, under his guidance the team was mostly competitive.

22. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

A lot of water has gone Under the bridge since !

23. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Claire is a bit light on the specifics. It's hard to believe that they finished 3rd in the Constructor's Championship in 2014 and 15, not that long ago. I wish them the best but can't see them turning it around especially with Claire at the helm. Thanks for posting.

24. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    Well it is nice to see someone in F1 step up and take responsibility for making a big mistake. I give her points for that. I don't see any miracles in the future for them. Perhaps Head can bring some calm and confidence to the team and help them put their focus on solving problems. Perhaps a change in tactics would also be a help. Each race focus on one driver working to finish the races, and make the other driver as much of a rabbit as possible. Let the rabbit try every radical trick they can think of to get better lap times...blow-up engines, use up tires, thrash transmissions...just go as fast as he can until the car breaks...anything to get one car farther up the qualifying grid. Let the "race" side of the team use the tortoise method...slow but steady incremental gains. Sort of a version of what Toro Rosso did last year. Perhaps this method could accelerate their finding solutions.